2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
The love of Star Wars boggles my mind. If you're 40-60 years old and saw the originals in the 70's and 80's, ok, I can get the fan boy stuff. Anyone born post-1980ish? I just don't get it. The originals were fun, but not earth shattering for that generation. The most recent movies were not just a let down, they were terrible. I mean, I get the excitement over someone new handling the movie and making a modern version (like Star Trek, the new ones were both very good IMO), but the pre-order, the Disney love (went there this summer and it's all over), the non-stop Twitter mentions from a million blogs.

It's a complete and utter mystery to me.

The people who were born post 1980 still had access to the originals?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
Whoa whoa whoa, YOU? Hating on something that's incredibly popular? I would have NEVER seen this coming.

Not hating, just saying I don't understand it. It's not like a Hunger Games love or something. It's a decades long fascination. Anything Star Wars people will go out of their minds for it (see: the amount of excitement over a 2 min trailer debuting during a MNF game). It's very unique in that way.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
The love of Star Wars boggles my mind. If you're 40-60 years old and saw the originals in the 70's and 80's, ok, I can get the fan boy stuff. Anyone born post-1980ish? I just don't get it. The originals were fun, but not earth shattering for that generation. The most recent movies were not just a let down, they were terrible. I mean, I get the excitement over someone new handling the movie and making a modern version (like Star Trek, the new ones were both very good IMO), but the pre-order, the Disney love (went there this summer and it's all over), the non-stop Twitter mentions from a million blogs.

It's a complete and utter mystery to me.

It is only one of the most iconic and influential movies series' every created. NBD. Heck my favorite music of all time is The Beatles. They broke up three years before I was born, but that doesn't mean I can't still appreciate what they meant to music and to everyone they influenced after them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
It is only one of the most iconic and influential movies series' every created. NBD. Heck my favorite music of all time is The Beatles. They broke up three years before I was born, but that doesn't mean I can't still appreciate what they meant to music and to everyone they influenced after them.

I mean I get that from a technical standpoint, but it's not like the writing was particularly good, even in the originals.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
Re-read your original post. You didn't ask a single question.

asshat.

It was implied that I was asking for some kind of comment in response, but fine, I didn't ask a question. I also wasn't like "oh boy you guys are such nerds!! Dumb dumb dumb!"

I had to be 7 or 8 when we went to see the original Star Wars. I remember liking the movie but my biggest memory from that day was it was the first time I was allowed to salt my popcorn myself...and damn did I blow THAT job. I remember it was like eating a salt lick. Just thinking about it now, makes my blood pressure rise 30 points.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
It was implied that I was asking for some kind of comment in response, but fine, I didn't ask a question. I also wasn't like "oh boy you guys are such nerds!! Dumb dumb dumb!"

it was implied

QUOTE (juddling @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
I had to be 7 or 8 when we went to see the original Star Wars. I remember liking the movie but my biggest memory from that day was it was the first time I was allowed to salt my popcorn myself...and damn did I blow THAT job. I remember it was like eating a salt lick. Just thinking about it now, makes my blood pressure rise 30 points.

this is hilarious

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
The best part about the trailer is we still have no real idea what the plot is, and we haven't even seen the most iconic character from the series shown on screen. That's what a trailer should be.

Yep. It does a great job keeping the plot under wraps but showing you the incredible visuals (without hopefully ruining the best set pieces) and introducing most of the main characters. Great trailer.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
People like it because it was one of the most ground breaking movies of all time. It was the Beatles of movies.

It's also a great story. That's why I love it.

I don't think there was a series with that kind of buy in from the general public (not just specific groups of fans) until the Harry Potter franchise. They also seem to be passing the test of time like Star Wars.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
I'm curious, how old are you guys? When did you first get into the Star Wars world?

42, about to be 43. I remember the originals fondly. And unlike the Lucas-led disaster prequels (which were hot garbage), the original three movies had great characters and stories.

QUOTE (juddling @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)

This is fantastic.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
It captivated an entire generation, and the next. If that isn't good writing, I don't know what is.

My son is 4 years old and he loves Star Wars and he hasnt sat all the way through one of the movies yet. He has rode the ride at Disneyland and he has watched the cartoon for it. Every character that he has seen snippets of makes him love it. The spaceships, the weapons, the characters all add to him loving the movie.

Maybe I should start questioning him. Like....hey you little f***er....how do you get off liking this mediocre movie that was made far before you were born???

I was born in 77 so I didn't get to see the original trilogy in theaters until they re-released them in the early 90's. But ROTJ wasn't released until 1983 so I was right at the perfect age to get into all the action figures.

But the release of each subsequent set of trilogies has brought in an entirely new generation of fans.

Re: age, one thing is that kids can watch those movies. They aren't particularly violent and obviously very little language. So it's one of those movies you can watch when you are young and feel like its an adult movie.

2) The whole mid-late 90s re-release in theaters. Lots of parents took their kids to those. Unfortunately it had all of those stupid extra scenes.

It's just hard not to have seen starwars as it has basically had a theatrical release in every decade at this point.

i remember going to the Carbondale theater to watch the Re-Release of a New Hope and it was crazy, people were all dressed up, the age range was from small child to middle age adult (some elderly), and the place was PACKED.

For weeks, they pulled in that crowd every weekend. On movies that were 20-25 years old