2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
Chess match didnt work last year, they s*** the bed come bowl season.

How do you figure? They had the #1 team in the rankings, even ahead of an undefeated team. I'd say the chess match worked again. The fact that Alabama couldn't tackle Ezekiel Elliot has nothing to do with the SEC working the system.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
How do you figure? They had the #1 team in the rankings, even ahead of an undefeated team. I'd say the chess match worked again. The fact that Alabama couldn't tackle Ezekiel Elliot has nothing to do with the SEC working the system.

Im specifically referring to the entire conference's bowl performance. Their end of the season "rest" game didnt help much at all. They s*** the bed as a conference collectively.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
Im specifically referring to the entire conference's bowl performance. Their end of the season "rest" game didnt help much at all. They s*** the bed as a conference collectively.

Nobody cares about bowl games outside of the championship. And the "rest" game has nothing to do with prepping for bowl season. It's about putting a tough conference game early in the season so that if you lose, voters forget about it. That's why you play Direction U in November instead of September, to try and avoid a late loss.

edit: Also, it's about resting up for your rivalry/conf. championship game, not the bowl season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
Nobody cares about bowl games outside of the championship. And the "rest" game has nothing to do with prepping for bowl season. It's about putting a tough conference game early in the season so that if you lose, voters forget about it. That's why you play Direction U in November instead of September, to try and avoid a late loss.

LOL, everybody cares about the bowl games when your teams and conference are winning them. Its literally the measuring stick that ESPN and other pundits use every season to bash or praise each conference. Losing a conference game early can put you out of the CCG which is something voters definitely care about. Big OOC early games are something that matters MUCH less. Baylor thinks so little of them they only have one in the next several seasons and its Duke.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)

7-5 as a conference, SEC East ("the worst division in football") 5-0. That's the "bad bowl season" for SEC.

Bowls are stupid indicators of conference strength anyways. Does that prove SEC East > West? No, but for people who need selective back-patting, they'll use it when it helps.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
7-5 as a conference, SEC East ("the worst division in football") 5-0. That's the "bad bowl season" for SEC.

Bowls are stupid indicators of conference strength anyways. Does that prove SEC East > West? No, but for people who need selective back-patting, they'll use it when it helps.

Well yeah, any division with Indiana as the champion pretty much sucks ;)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
LOL, everybody cares about the bowl games when your teams and conference are winning them. Its literally the measuring stick that ESPN and other pundits use every season to bash or praise each conference. Losing a conference game early can put you out of the CCG which is something voters definitely care about. Big OOC early games are something that matters MUCH less. Baylor thinks so little of them they only have one in the next several seasons and its Duke.

Well, ESPN sucks so my point stands. :P

Which, btw, was an example of an OOC home and home.

As a fan of a team, I'd never advocate a big OOC game early in the season. There is no preseason for college football. I respect Oregon and LSU for that series, but imo it was stupid. You put a blackeye on your season when you have had no chance to see who your best players are. "Cooking the books" muah. Apparently "direction u" is so much worse than having Illinois on the schedule, "north texas".

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
Which, btw, was an example of an OOC home and home.

As a fan of a team, I'd never advocate a big OOC game early in the season. There is no preseason for college football. I respect Oregon and LSU for that series, but imo it was stupid. You put a blackeye on your season when you have had no chance to see who your best players are. "Cooking the books" muah. Apparently "direction u" is so much worse than having Illinois on the schedule, "north texas".

Conferences without championship games are hurt much more by early season losses and bad schedules than ones that have that title game built in. Bama could lose to Wisconsin (not likely) run the table and still get in the playoff.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
Conferences without championship games are hurt much more by early season losses and bad schedules than ones that have that title game built in. Bama could lose to Wisconsin (not likely) run the table and still get in the playoff.

But isn't this what bowl games are for, anyways? I would not want to compromise a season by playing a game too early. Very happy Missouri is playing SEMO on Saturday, with 8 true frosh on our 2-deep. This team on saturday will be nowhere near the team that plays in October, yet in people's heads they hold it as equal. Screw that, get a few games to get ready.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
But isn't this what bowl games are for, anyways? I would not want to compromise a season by playing a game too early. Very happy Missouri is playing SEMO on Saturday, with 8 true frosh on our 2-deep. This team on saturday will be nowhere near the team that plays in October, yet in people's heads they hold it as equal. Screw that, get a few games to get ready.

Its definitely less stressful for fans. Its a difference of opinion with all sorts of angles on what is best to make the playoff.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
Yeah, that's a tough road game, Utah has had their share of solid wins at home

And Michigan really needed to finally be coached up after a few years of nothing. I expect and hope for a Utah win, but regardless its good to have football back.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
ND moves their neutral site games around the country though, on top of playing home-and-home series with teams all over the country. The SEC teams ALWAYS play their non-conference games at or close to home. All the other conferences are willing to venture outside their home territory at least some of the time.

Go pull up the SEC schedules for the last five years and I doubt you can find more than a half dozen games played outside the south.

That's pretty much true about the SEC, but Tennessee is the exception. We've never been afraid of going all over the country for games. In the last 12 years, we've had home-and-home series with Notre Dame, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, and Oklahoma.

We're going away from that trend over the next few years, but we play neutral site games against Virginia Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016, Georgia Tech at the Georgia Dome in 2017, and West Virginia in Charlotte in 2018.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 10:59 PM)
Gotta wait for Peters id think. The QB stable is bare and the RB are in the same state. Two years is about right. Defense will keep them in games.

Pretty much. Peters may start next year. He'll be better than anyone else we'll have unless Morris shows something. I like Ty Isaac just because I covered him in high school and he was so dominate. Smith has no vision. Could've picked up a couple of 4th quarter 1st downs last night but didn't see openings.

Peppers, Butt, and Darboh looked good last night, but Rudock. Ugh. Can see why my Iowa friends laughed when he transferred. That pick 6 was brutal. I saw it coming as he started to throw.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 06:27 AM)
Pretty much. Peters may start next year. He'll be better than anyone else we'll have unless Morris shows something. I like Ty Isaac just because I covered him in high school and he was so dominate. Smith has no vision. Could've picked up a couple of 4th quarter 1st downs last night but didn't see openings.

Peppers, Butt, and Darboh looked good last night, but Rudock. Ugh. Can see why my Iowa friends laughed when he transferred. That pick 6 was brutal. I saw it coming as he started to throw.

Isaac is too slow for this level of football, I just don't see it in him. He does have better vision than Smith. Morris is going to transfer IMO, he's so bad he couldn't even be put in last night after Ruddock s*** the bed. Morris has never produced at any level so it's not a shock or a big loss. I assume Harbaugh will start playing his recruits immediately next season.

That defense isn't going to get run on much but I think they will get torched against the throwing teams a few times. They are plenty good to steal games when the O isn't producing.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 07:00 AM)
Isaac is too slow for this level of football, I just don't see it in him. He does have better vision than Smith. Morris is going to transfer IMO, he's so bad he couldn't even be put in last night after Ruddock s*** the bed. Morris has never produced at any level so it's not a shock or a big loss. I assume Harbaugh will start playing his recruits immediately next season.

That defense isn't going to get run on much but I think they will get torched against the throwing teams a few times. They are plenty good to steal games when the O isn't producing.

It was nice to see Peppers consistently involved. He looked very good at stuffing the run and is very good at getting around blockers.