2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

Cubit will NOT be the Illini coach next year, They need a clean slate from the allegations. Cubit was OC and most of the players were from his side, you think he wasn't involved at all and won't be named?

Golesh and Bellamy are the only 2 id consider keeping but I would understand if the new coach wants his own people.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
Cubit will NOT be the Illini coach next year, They need a clean slate from the allegations. Cubit was OC and most of the players were from his side, you think he wasn't involved at all and won't be named?

Golesh and Bellamy are the only 2 id consider keeping but I would understand if the new coach wants his own people.

This is really smaller picture. The reality is, I don't want Mike Thomas hiring another coach. Illinois would be wise to fire him first.

Hmm...not sure ignoring MAC coaches because Beckner didn't work out is best strategy. Illinois will not attract a power 5 coach with success and the MACs record of training ground for coaches is unquestioned.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
This is really smaller picture. The reality is, I don't want Mike Thomas hiring another coach. Illinois would be wise to fire him first.

I don't trust him either. Ironically though, they're going to need a dirty AD to turn this around. I don't see the football or basketball programs getting turned around without a guy like Butch Davis coaching football and basketball competing with the Coach K and Calipari's of the world. Until they're willing to do that, Illinois' sports programs look dead.

Last year I was touting Illinois to fire Beckman and go after Justin Fuente from Memphis. Well, that ship has sailed. Fuente is going to be in very high demand. Illinois should go after Dino Babers. He gets the Midwest culture and recruiting. He's an Art Briles disciple, but he has adapted his offense at Bowling Green to be more cold-weather friendly (for example: Bowling Green goes under center in some formations whereas Baylor is pretty much shotgun formation all of the time).

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)

Thomas has no business hiring anyone else, I agree he should be axed!

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 08:09 PM)
Last year I was touting Illinois to fire Beckman and go after Justin Fuente from Memphis. Well, that ship has sailed. Fuente is going to be in very high demand. Illinois should go after Dino Babers. He gets the Midwest culture and recruiting. He's an Art Briles disciple, but he has adapted his offense at Bowling Green to be more cold-weather friendly (for example: Bowling Green goes under center in some formations whereas Baylor is pretty much shotgun formation all of the time).

From what I heard, Fuente wasn't interested in the Illinois job last year.

Clemson's coaches deserve a loss with how awful and conservative their play calling has been in the 4th quarter.

That's OK, Brian Kelly gave it right back to them. No excuse for that decision to go for two after the first TD, which then forced the try for two at the end of the game. That's the second time now he's cost his team the game by going for two when he shouldn't have. Deferring after winning the opening coin toss while playing on the road in bad weather was a questionable decision as well.

Clemson tried to Clemson it. ND should have had a PI on Clemson before that fumble

Fathom has broken the record for consecutive weeks complaining about a break ND got from the refs. I'm pretty sure he even does it during their bye weeks.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
Fathom has broken the record for consecutive weeks complaining about a break ND got from the refs. I'm pretty sure he even does it during their bye weeks.

Read want I said again, said they got a bad call against them

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
No offense to the Notre Dame fans on this board, but I'm glad Clemson put an end to the Notre Dame playoff mirage. ND is such a tough team to measure year in and year out.

Sloppy conditions, multiple turnovers, and a poor coaching decision only lead to a two point loss on the road in one of the toughest places to play in college football.

Notre Dame is not done yet.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
No offense to the Notre Dame fans on this board, but I'm glad Clemson put an end to the Notre Dame playoff mirage. ND is such a tough team to measure year in and year out.

I have no idea what to expect with them this year. Their schedule prior to Clemson is a joke with how bad Texas and GT are. ND was better than Clemson, as Clemson seemed far too conservative from the 2nd quarter on

Sloppy conditions, multiple turnovers, and a poor coaching decision only lead to a two point loss on the road in one of the toughest places to play in college football.

Notre Dame is not done yet.

I don't see ND beating USC. The secondary is weak and USC is the kind of team that can really expose that. It's a shame too, because this is the best OL and DL they have had in a very long time. I was very impressed with Kizer too. He was very poised in a very tough environment.

ND needs to hire somebody to stand next to Kelly with a knife and cut his f***ing finger off every time he tries to put up two fingers after a touchdown.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
I have no idea what to expect with them this year. Their schedule prior to Clemson is a joke with how bad Texas and GT are. ND was better than Clemson, as Clemson seemed far too conservative from the 2nd quarter on

Ga Tech was #14 at the time and considered a good team. ND never plays FCS teams and they had to play ACC teams due to their new contract. I really think that calling a schedule made 5 years ago a "joke" is overstating things.

Sagarin rates ND's schedule to date as 30th. Only undefeated teams with tougher schedules so far are Utah (17), Florida (21), Oklahoma (27) and Clemson (29). A few 1-loss teams with tougher schedules as well. Next 3 games are against #41 Navy, #2 USC and #54 Temple, so no cupcakes there.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
Ga Tech was #14 at the time and considered a good team. ND never plays FCS teams and they had to play ACC teams due to their new contract. I really think that calling a schedule made 5 years ago a "joke" is overstating things.

Ranked "at the time" is meaningless. They're just not that good.

And that Texas win might as well be FCS.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
Ranked "at the time" is meaningless. They're just not that good.

And that Texas win might as well be FCS.

You can't just edit the schedule and change teams the year that they are good to pump the schedule.

Georgia Tech was a required ACC game and the Texas series was scheduled back in August of 2010. Texas was 13-1 in 2009 prior to the scheduling.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)

That doesn't change the fact that the schedule sucked pre-clemson. That's all he said. He wasn't criticizing them not trying to schedule to tough. And you also should not be rewarded if your schedule ends up sucking.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
That doesn't change the fact that the schedule sucked pre-clemson. That's all he said. He wasn't criticizing them not trying to schedule to tough. And you also should not be rewarded if your schedule ends up sucking.

My point is, how can you control it when your schedule ends up sucking?

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)

You can't if you're Notre Dame but you can't be rewarded for it either.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)

You can't. I don't think that was his point. Like Florida State a couple years ago, it's not their fault that their OOC opponents were s***ty. That's part of the problem with scheduling those games 5-10 years down the road. Unfortunately, if you do catch those opponents in down years you will no longer be getting credit for the "big win" you may have hoped for at the time of scheduling.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)

Yeah, I wasn't blaming ND at all for how bad their schedule's ended up looking so far. When you schedule a game with Texas, you anticipate they're going to be a powerhouse at the time. Biggest thing ND needs (besides winning) is for Stanford to keep playing well.