Article on Brian Anderson

BigFinn

Just ask the White Sox how difficult it is to draft a sure thing. The last time the Sox drafted a position player who became an All-Star for them was third baseman Joe Crede, way back in 1996. From 1997-2011 the White Sox drafted 369 position players and none of them became an All-Star for Chicago. Only five of them have managed a career WAR of even 6.0, including time spent with other clubs. Rowand (20.8) is the best position player they have drafted in the past 18 years, followed by Chris Young (15.3), Scott Hairston (6.6), Ryan Sweeney (6.6) and Gordon Beckham (6.2).

That's the most amazing part of all this, for a time period when they had a Top 5 record in all of MLB, yet to only produce one All-Star (whose career was cut short by injuries) and almost zip position player-wise.

Rowand and Crede were basically it over a 15 year period, since Young, Hairston and Sweeney played for other teams.

Of course, that's not counting Magglio, Carlos Lee and Alexei Ramirez.

Edited by caulfield12

Inspiring.

I heard his next step if he didn't get his chance in ST was to go to White Sox Fantasy Camp.

In all reality, it makes notes the Sox wouldn't put him in AAA so he doesn't block a prospect who is an OF. Who are the 3 that he'd be blocking?

Trayce? Maybe Mitchell in AAA? What... Shuck? No Compana down there... I wouldn't be against him being down there getting AB's. Worst case scenario he does it for a few months and nothing comes of it, cut him. Best case, he hits .270 and if he still has the OF D and arm? Bring him up for a cup of coffee if an injury happens.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
Mitchell, Shuck, Tr. Thompson, Anderson and Michael Taylor

In my opinion Michael Taylor can be lumped in with Anderson. Both are grabbing at straws. I think we can almost throw Mitchell in that conversation too. To be honest other than Thompson, I wouldn't be surprised if none of those people listed ever do more than sniff a lineup in September when a season is in the books already.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
Mitchell, Shuck, Tr. Thompson, Anderson and Michael Taylor

One of those guys should make the team, and there are no prospects he's blocking. He'd be able to get plenty of ABs in Charlotte if that's what they choose. I think that's what they should choose.

I also hope the Anderson you're referencing there isn't Tim Anderson, because he's not an outfielder.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
In my opinion Michael Taylor can be lumped in with Anderson. Both are grabbing at straws. I think we can almost throw Mitchell in that conversation too. To be honest other than Thompson, I wouldn't be surprised if none of those people listed ever do more than sniff a lineup in September when a season is in the books already.

I think Taylor is more likely to get an MLB job in April than any of those listed other than Shuck, and I think he's about on par with Shuck.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
I never read or heard any details, but the word out there was he

was a party boy. I guess you can't hit the big city lights every nite

and still be on your game. Too bad, he could resist everything but

temptation. thanks, douglas

again it is the idea of being able to perform. how can one judge if they are on their game when statistically it changes every game.

ex- a player can go 0 fer with proper sleep and a curfew, and a person who partied can also go a 0 fer. the performance of a player changes daily.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 05:31 AM)

Patrick Kane laughs in your general direction.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 05:31 AM)

They always said the hardest part of the game for Mickey Mantle was the bottom of the fifth.

Baseball must truly be the most difficult sport to make it in. And must have the worst talent evaluators of any sport.

Here's yet another example.

Brian Anderson.

You watch this guy hit during his prime and you could tell pretty quick he had no chance. Yet scouts raved about this guy as a 5 tool player. What did scouts see in him? He looked like a pitcher at the plate. He stood straight up and had no clue basically. Pretty good defender though. CJ Henry was a first round pick of the Yankees. One of the worst athletes you'll ever see. All the busts the Sox have had and other teams. These scouts are miserable.

The NBA scouts will be rivaling baseball if they keep drafting these college freshmen, though. Just some of these Kansas guys ... Thomas Robinson a top five pick?? Can't play. Julian Wright in lottery? Ha. Xavier Henry lottery? Showed nothing.

But the Brian Anderson story is a sad one. He blames his partying choices, etc. I just don't know if the talent was there to hit a moving baseball.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
Baseball must truly be the most difficult sport to make it in. And must have the worst talent evaluators of any sport.

Brian Anderson.

You watch this guy hit during his prime and you could tell pretty quick he had no chance. Yet scouts raved about this guy as a 5 tool player. What did scouts see in him? He looked like a pitcher at the plate. He stood straight up and had no clue basically. Pretty good defender though. CJ Henry was a first round pick of the Yankees. One of the worst athletes you'll ever see. All the busts the Sox have had and other teams. These scouts are miserable.

The NBA scouts will be rivaling baseball if they keep drafting these college freshmen, though. Just some of these Kansas guys ... Thomas Robinson a top five pick?? Can't play. Julian Wright in lottery? Ha. Xavier Henry lottery? Showed nothing.

But the Brian Anderson story is a sad one. He blames his partying choices, etc. I just don't know if the talent was there to hit a moving baseball.

Keep in mind usually 6-10 players each first round never touch the majors. Another 10-15 have pretty limited impact, under 20 career WAR usually.

MLB is even more inexact than NBA scouting.

Everyone knows the Mike Trout story, Piazza, Pujols, Buehrle, etc.

Plus "system" programs can make college players (like Duke, UNC, KY or Kansas) look a lot better than they are in reality...most Kansas teams, their points have traditionally been scored in transition. In the NBA, it's a lot of isolation plays...and possessing the ability to break down a defense, equipped with multiple skills, rather than merely being a good outside shooter like a Trajan Langdon type.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 02:56 AM)
Keep in mind usually 6-10 players each first round never touch the majors. Another 10-15 have pretty limited impact, under 20 career WAR usually.

MLB is even more inexact than NBA scouting.

Everyone knows the Mike Trout story, Piazza, Pujols, Buehrle, etc.

Plus "system" programs can make college players (like Duke, UNC, KY or Kansas) look a lot better than they are in reality...most Kansas teams, their points have traditionally been scored in transition. In the NBA, it's a lot of isolation plays...and possessing the ability to break down a defense, equipped with multiple skills, rather than merely being a good outside shooter like a Trajan Langdon type.

really.... i don't know, but i think those numbers may be skewed a little. its more like that up to 6-10 out of the first rnd may touch the majors.

a while back, early in the offseason, i was bored and looked up some draft yrs, like the yr Trout came out. only a handful made it.

mlb is hard, esp if you have a limited natural god given gift to play ball. i guess that is why i love the reading of info on the prospects. to gage and see who develops.

i can't help it, i get bored easily.

ref nba, look at MJ's draft, if i remember correctly only 2 players became great players, and 1 became a so/so player.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)
really.... i don't know, but i think those numbers may be skewed a little. its more like that up to 6-10 out of the first rnd may touch the majors.

a while back, early in the offseason, i was bored and looked up some draft yrs, like the yr Trout came out. only a handful made it.

mlb is hard, esp if you have a limited natural god given gift to play ball. i guess that is why i love the reading of info on the prospects. to gage and see who develops.

i can't help it, i get bored easily.

ref nba, look at MJ's draft, if i remember correctly only 2 players became great players, and 1 became a so/so player.

You couldn't be more wrong on this. Many consider the 1984 draft to be one of, if not the best draft in NBA history.

Olajuwon, Jordan, Barkley and Stockton were all drafted in the first round and all are obviously in the Hall of Fame and all are top ten all time players at their position. Alvin Robertson, Kevin Willis and Otis Thorpe were also All-Star level players drafted in that same draft.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
You couldn't be more wrong on this. Many consider the 1984 draft to be one of, if not the best draft in NBA history.

Olajuwon, Jordan, Barkley and Stockton were all drafted in the first round and all are obviously in the Hall of Fame and all are top ten all time players at their position. Alvin Robertson, Kevin Willis and Otis Thorpe were also All-Star level players drafted in that same draft.

i was wrong in the yr. my bad

thanks for correcting me.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)

Brian Anderson.

hottakes.jpg

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 08:51 AM)
i love the pict.... is that from the hobbit pict??

but for me, i don't get it, with ref to greg's post.

my bad.

hot take

An opinion based on simplistic moralizing rather than actual thought. Not to be confused with a strong take.

That's a hot take.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hot%20take

Perhaps that's incorrect though. This may be a strong take instead.

And if it's not apparent, I think greg's post is so obviously over the top absurd, ridiculous, and wrong that I decided to not even bother with an actual response as it appears to me to be more trolling for responses than it does an actual opinion.

Here is my actual response: if you feel that it's so damn easy greg, quit your current job and go do it, because teams would gladly pay you millions of dollars a year if you can isolate and identify the top players in the country who will then develop into the top players in the MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL.