2015-2016 NFL Thread

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade deadline in the NFL is tomorrow. I doubt anything crazy happens. Weird how few trades there is in Football during the season.

I'd like to see the Packers trade for someone like Vernon Davis, but I doubt anything happens.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
Any opinions on that Ricardo Lockette hit? I thought it looked clean but I've heard people saying it was dirty and Heath got an unnecessary roughness penalty for it.

I thought it was clean. Wasn't blindside, Lockette clearly saw him coming, was part of the play. The result was bad in part because Lockette lowered his head and took the hit with his head/neck at a bad angle. It was a violent block, but I really didn't see anything dirty or illegal about it. It really should not have even been a flag IMO.

That drop by Langford hurt but otherwise he looked solid. This year is all about progress. Jay, once again, looked very comfortable, although I'm not exactly sure what we were doing in the first half (in terms of play calls). I suppose our oline is total patchwork and Vikings have a good defense.

Oh and any nonsense about trading Jeffrey needs to go. He's young and very very good and we have ample cap room. Pay the man.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
Yeah, why would the Bears trade Jeffrey? They should be looking to lock him up long term.

Because ESPN says the Falcons need a tall sure handed #1 wide receiver. Because they dont have one.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
Because ESPN says the Falcons need a tall sure handed #1 wide receiver. Because they don't have one.

What if they offered the Bears a 1 and a 2 or 3? They wont, but if they did...

With the NFL trade talk is the most meaningless thing to ever do. There is like 1 trade a year. No one is giving up picks and no one has cap space to take on anything.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
What if they offered the Bears a 1 and a 2 or 3? They wont, but if they did...

With the NFL trade talk is the most meaningless thing to ever do. There is like 1 trade a year. No one is giving up picks and no one has cap space to take on anything.

If someone wants to go Herschel Walker trade for Jeffrey, of course you do that. But nobody will, and everyone knows it.

But there are moves that can be made. Who knows, maybe the Patriots would be interested in Bushrod because their O Line is just in shambles? Of course, they can go to Cleveland and get Mack or Thomas if they want.

How is the value of a star WR/elite deep threat with no off the field issues a 2nd round pick?

Hell, Jeffery was a 2nd round pick who plays as if he was in the top 10. Why would we trade him for what is essentially a do-over at drafting him?

Also, White-Wilson-Royal-Meredith isn't a very promising WR group.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
How is the value of a star WR/elite deep threat with no off the field issues a 2nd round pick?

Hell, Jeffery was a 2nd round pick who plays as if he was in the top 10. Why would we trade him for what is essentially a do-over at drafting him?

Also, White-Wilson-Royal-Meredith isn't a very promising WR group.

The only way you do that is if you really think you won't be able to extend him long term.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
I was frankly a bit annoyed that coming out of a bye week with jeffery/royal/bennett all healthy THAT was the gameplan we started with.

The only thing I could attribute the start to was that they felt they needed to show those plays to spread things out and get the Vikings leaning forward enough to break it open later. If they started with going down the field it might have opened the Bears up to some salivating db's because of the pressure the DLine would have created.

It seemed pretty obvious to me that they were nervous about the construction of the O Line in the first half. there were 3 moves, Ducasse went from RG to LG, Slauson from LG to Center, and Omameh to RG. I get it why they were nervous

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
It seemed pretty obvious to me that they were nervous about the construction of the O Line in the first half. there were 3 moves, Ducasse went from RG to LG, Slauson from LG to Center, and Omameh to RG. I get it why they were nervous

Yeah that couldve been the case. Willing to throw away the first half of offense though? After the third time they did it it was like cmon now guys.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
The only thing I could attribute the start to was that they felt they needed to show those plays to spread things out and get the Vikings leaning forward enough to break it open later. If they started with going down the field it might have opened the Bears up to some salivating db's because of the pressure the DLine would have created.

And in theory we should have won the game. Missed field goal, stupid punt return, and then the drop by Langford. That said, I still have no idea what we were doing being so conserved but it had to be a factor of the line. We utterly dominated Vikings in 2nd half and got very little to show for it. Our special teams is just brutal. It was the one coach we hired where I was dissapointed (as Rodgers didn't have a great track record). That said, personnel is also an issue.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
Yeah that couldve been the case. Willing to throw away the first half of offense though? After the third time they did it it was like cmon now guys.

Yeah - They were clearly nervous against an above average d (with a megshift oline) and the game plan was to make sure they were still relevant in the 2nd half and then ideally turn it on. The gameplan worked, we just had our own issues where we didn't execute. That said, personell aren't their either.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
Do you guys think that the coaching staff and Pace is now possibly factoring in Jay with their longer term plan (3-4 years) and changing their beliefs that they can win a Superbowl with him eventually?

I think that is an ongoing evaluation this season. I dont think it is set in stone either way, but certainly possible. The thing about Jay is he is already paid, the big checks are out of the way now, so you dont have to worry about that affecting your cap space. It wouldnt hurt to draft an eventual successor, but as of right now i dont think this staff is looking to kick him out the door in 2016

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
I think that is an ongoing evaluation this season. I dont think it is set in stone either way, but certainly possible. The thing about Jay is he is already paid, the big checks are out of the way now, so you dont have to worry about that affecting your cap space. It wouldnt hurt to draft an eventual successor, but as of right now i dont think this staff is looking to kick him out the door in 2016

Anyone know what the cap hit for cutting Cutler looks like after this year?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)

From what I understand from this article, it's $13 million if done in February, then $19 million if done in March.

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/understanding-...tlers-contract/

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)

Over the Cap is a pretty reliable website for cap questions. It also has a feature that allows you to "cut" your own players to how it would affect the salary cap. Pretty neat tool.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/chicago-bears

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)

I THINK its 13mill but I'm not positive. Fairly certain it's above 10 though.

At this point I think it would be foolish to cut him and go after a QB in this meh class.

This team is a lot closer to competing with Jay Cutler than with a rookie QB.