Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

Sorry if I missed it but I remember a thread about anything related to work, career, etc.

I am getting screwed out of my annual bonus...

I began early August 2014, as written on my agreement, I can receive up to X% of my salary prorated from my start date.

I was told as recently as last month, I am eligible and will be receiving a bonus. I did not get the bonus when they went out last week.

I was told that when it was checked with HR, that June starts are the cutoff date for bonuses with extensive apologies from the boss

I took the lower end of the salary range contingent upon my bonus, received both written and verbal notification of it, have held up my end of agreement as well as rated myself in our company system. This system is tied to our bonus program and is reviewed by upper management, everything was "met expectations" as I am still fairly new.

I was going to let them know all of the above and that both parties are responsible for the agreement AND if I wasn't eligible for a bonus, why am I rating myself on the company website if it is tied to your bonus? Also going to mention that this has happened to me at other positions and I do not want it to get to that point at this one where you are promised but not given.

I have my own tactics but I think it is always helpful to hear what others have to say or have done in order to coax the money out of them.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
Yeah unfortunately, there isn't a lot that can be done without making some waves. I'd be looking to leave that place ASAP.

Too many positives, work from home, not much pressure, Fortune 200 company, lots of opportunity, great salary....I have had this happen before at another company and got my money (at another company).

Edited by Chi Town Sox

I'm looking for a new job next month. Actually looking to move as well. Feel like I need new surroundings.

There are some outstanding universities in Columbus, East Lansing, and South Bend that are all looking for quality employees.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
I was told that when it was checked with HR, that June starts are the cutoff date for bonuses with extensive apologies from the boss

Consider if there are any non bonus issues that you could accept instead. I'm not certain about the details of your position but if the boss is apologizing, perhaps an extra week vacation? Better equipment, better working conditions, etc. Think what does he have authority to do that you would want him to do.

• 10 months later...
An hour.

Obviously the system looks for specific answers and makes a decision instead of a human being talking to me. Bs

Never had one take an hour, but I get computer-screened rejection e-mails less within 30 minutes of submitting an application all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

So my wife has been working as a retail cashier at a gas station for about 10 years now. For most of it she has been on 3rd shift with her core hours being 10P - 6A. We've made it work over the years and she's put up with it but recently she's become increasingly unhappy with her shift. She'd much rather work days like a "normal" person but they've always refused to move her.

The only thing she likes is the fact that she gets 40 hours every week and weekends off. The problem is that since Obamacare came into affect, the store no longer hires full-time employees. She and one other girl are grandfathered in as full-time. The only other full-time positions are management. So if she switched to days, they would have to get 2 people to cover her current hours.

The manager insists that she would have to go to part-time, lose her weekends off and all her vacation time. That not only seems wrong but something that shouldn't even be legal. You'd think having more seniority than every other person in the store besides the manager would mean something.

I probably make enough to cover 99% of our bills. Her paycheck mostly covers our "fun" stuff like bowling and camping in the summer.

Her plan is to be out in some way shape or form in the next 5 years, which is when our youngest will graduate HS. I'm not sure what options we have though. AFAIK, most retail places aren't hiring for full-time hours anymore.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
So my wife has been working as a retail cashier at a gas station for about 10 years now. For most of it she has been on 3rd shift with her core hours being 10P - 6A. We've made it work over the years and she's put up with it but recently she's become increasingly unhappy with her shift. She'd much rather work days like a "normal" person but they've always refused to move her.

The only thing she likes is the fact that she gets 40 hours every week and weekends off. The problem is that since Obamacare came into affect, the store no longer hires full-time employees. She and one other girl are grandfathered in as full-time. The only other full-time positions are management. So if she switched to days, they would have to get 2 people to cover her current hours.

The manager insists that she would have to go to part-time, lose her weekends off and all her vacation time. That not only seems wrong but something that shouldn't even be legal. You'd think having more seniority than every other person in the store besides the manager would mean something.

I probably make enough to cover 99% of our bills. Her paycheck mostly covers our "fun" stuff like bowling and camping in the summer.

Her plan is to be out in some way shape or form in the next 5 years, which is when our youngest will graduate HS. I'm not sure what options we have though. AFAIK, most retail places aren't hiring for full-time hours anymore.

What I would think right off the bat is maybe grocery stores would hire full time?

Don't limit her options to just retail though. I'm certain she is capable of all kinds of other full-time employment.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)

Obviously they believe two part time employees is cheaper than one full time so don't worry about their decision on the night shift. It does seem legal. She would be moving to a new position, one with different benefits.

On the other hand a company that would treat a ten year employee that way sucks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
What I would think right off the bat is maybe grocery stores would hire full time?

Don't limit her options to just retail though. I'm certain she is capable of all kinds of other full-time employment.

What about Costco? They pay pretty solid and have good benefits.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 06:17 AM)
Obviously they believe two part time employees is cheaper than one full time so don't worry about their decision on the night shift.

I don't know about being cheaper or not but it's what they would be forced to do since they'd have 40 hours to fill. We figure that's one of the big reasons they won't move her. Employee turnover at the store is incredibly high. They'd have to find 2 people competent and trustworthy enough to work completely solo every night. She's almost too good at her job and they don't want to have to replace her unless they are forced to.

It does seem legal. She would be moving to a new position, one with different benefits.

She'd be moving to a different position with no benefits. She's accumulated enough time to now have 3 weeks of paid vacation. But if they bump her to part-time, she loses all that vacation time.

On the other hand a company that would treat a ten year employee that way sucks.

Agreed.

Do you need the benefits from your wife's job? If not, two part-time jobs might be an option. I know places around here that pay their part-time people 15-25% more/hour than their full time people because they don't have to give benefits, and I know people who work two 20/hour week jobs and make more than they would if they had one full-time job.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
I'm graduating in May, and have no clue what I want to do with my life. Majoring in Sports Management and minoring in management, and currently a HS baseball coach.

I'd like to continue coaching but I don't want to teach. Kind of nervous.

You don't have to teach the rest of your life. Maybe sub and coach until you find your next step. Try not to be picky.