Brad Penny touching 94, leading candidate for 5th starter

southsider2k5

The link is from another story, but this was worth posting separately.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-yor...res-vibe-031715

• Right-hander Brad Penny nearly signed with the White Sox last season, but chose instead to return to the Marlins. The White Sox pursued him again in the offseason, and Penny accepted a minor-league deal in part due to his relationship with assistant GM Buddy Bell, his manager with Team USA during the 1999 Pan Am games.

Penny, who turns 37 on May 24, is the leading candidate for the White Sox’s fifth-starter’s job, though he is a different pitcher than when he was younger.

“I’m touching 94 (mph),” he said with a smile. “I used to sit at 94.”

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 07:48 AM)
many thanks for this. i really thought he was better than 94 mph fastball.

If you had seen Penny during the last 3-4 years, I don't know if he was sitting in the low 90's. I'd be impressed if he was sitting in the low 90's (would mean he's healthier and stronger), let alone if he's hitting 94. I presume he won't be able to sustain that over a long season but the goal of the 5th spot is probably a stop gap until Rodon is ready so I could see where Sox could say, Brad, let her fly and than we'll move you into the pen when its done (obviously he'll say, I'll fight and fight to keep the spot and Noesi will battle it out as well). Of course, a lot of this is a moot point anyway as Penny really is pitching in the "6th" spot as we really are talking about 1 to 2 starts until Sale steps back in the rotation. However, if Noesi falters, I suppose it is nice to know their is a veteran there that maybe you can get a few games out of.

Expecting anything more than that would be crazy, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
If you had seen Penny during the last 3-4 years, I don't know if he was sitting in the low 90's. I'd be impressed if he was sitting in the low 90's (would mean he's healthier and stronger), let alone if he's hitting 94. I presume he won't be able to sustain that over a long season but the goal of the 5th spot is probably a stop gap until Rodon is ready so I could see where Sox could say, Brad, let her fly and than we'll move you into the pen when its done (obviously he'll say, I'll fight and fight to keep the spot and Noesi will battle it out as well).

Going off of fangraphs, I think he must be about where he was during the season last year. They had his average fastball at 91.7, which if a guy is "touching 94" sitting at 91-92 makes sense to me.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

Now he is he touching 94 now, does that mean he has room to move up as he gets into shape this year? I have no idea.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
Going off of fangraphs, I think he must be about where he was during the season last year. They had his average fastball at 91.7, which if a guy is "touching 94" sitting at 91-92 makes sense to me.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

Now he is he touching 94 now, does that mean he has room to move up as he gets into shape this year? I have no idea.

See this is where facts get in the way with my memory. I remember him being much more of a junkballer late in his career (not like Weaver or Buehrle) but not like he used to be. In reality, his FB velocity in his earlier days was much lower than I recalled. We are talking pretty small sample sizes though and we are comparing statistics of him pitching largely out of the pen vs. rotation. Given that since 2012 (MLB appearances only), he's played in just 37 games and of those games, only 11 starts.

Don't know if they actually need penny tho in the rotation. If sale does make it back on April 12 which will be the first need of the 5th starter then penny won't be need unless coming out of the pen. But he has said that he wants to start and would prefer not to go to the pen. At this point most likely the rotation is quintana, Samardzija, noesi and danks.

If he can be better than our back of the rotation and emergency options last year (Paulino, Johnson, Rienzo, Carroll, etc.) then that's great. I'm not expecting anything more than that.

I hesitate to include Carroll in there because he proved to be valuable out of the pen, had a few good starts (his big league debut was a real tearjerker), and he's such an easy guy to like and root for.

Also a former Boilermaker.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
Except then it requires another roster move if he isn't.

How does the DL work at the beginning of the year? I know you can only retro it a certain amount of days. I am guessing it has to be at least a week, so if the season starts April 6th, and they expect Sale to pitch on the 12th, he probably has to be on the roster and not the DL.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
How does the DL work at the beginning of the year? I know you can only retro it a certain amount of days. I am guessing it has to be at least a week, so if the season starts April 6th, and they expect Sale to pitch on the 12th, he probably has to be on the roster and not the DL.

I am not positive, but I believe the disabled list opens up before the start of the season, so a player can be played on the DL as of before opening day.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
If you had seen Penny during the last 3-4 years, I don't know if he was sitting in the low 90's. I'd be impressed if he was sitting in the low 90's (would mean he's healthier and stronger), let alone if he's hitting 94. I presume he won't be able to sustain that over a long season but the goal of the 5th spot is probably a stop gap until Rodon is ready so I could see where Sox could say, Brad, let her fly and than we'll move you into the pen when its done (obviously he'll say, I'll fight and fight to keep the spot and Noesi will battle it out as well). Of course, a lot of this is a moot point anyway as Penny really is pitching in the "6th" spot as we really are talking about 1 to 2 starts until Sale steps back in the rotation. However, if Noesi falters, I suppose it is nice to know their is a veteran there that maybe you can get a few games out of.

Expecting anything more than that would be crazy, imo.

IF and that is a big if he can continue in spring training on doing well, then helping in the beginning of the season while Sale fully recuperates, i have no problem. also using sparingly during the season, to spot start or to rest the starting pitchers. i have no prob. this is the little steps for the big pict, the playoff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
For Chris Sale, disabled.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
They won't need a 5th starter though. Just go with 4 if Sale is indeed starting on the 12th.

This is what I meant, I didn't think we'd need 5 starters until mid to late April.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
This is what I meant, I didn't think we'd need 5 starters until mid to late April.

I don't think we normally roll that way, instead using the extra days off to keep guys healthy. Plus, this lets you look at both Penny and Noesi. If Noesi really implodes early, you might have the opportunity to yank him for a known quantity without missing a beat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
Except then it requires another roster move if he isn't.

Woiuldn't they just keep 8 relievers? Lets say that Robertson, Duke, Petricka, Jennings, and Putnam are all on the team. I think Webb, Guerra, and Albers battle for the last 2 spots. Couldn't they just option Guerra or Webb when Sale returns? I think Guerra is out of options however.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
I am not positive, but I believe the disabled list opens up before the start of the season, so a player can be played on the DL as of before opening day.

I looked it up and you can retro it 10 days, but, assuming Sale comes back from this injury and pitches in spring training games, he can't be retro'd because he is playing. So either they would have to put him on the DL in late March and have him get ready in minor league games or just have him on the opening day roster. The first option makes some sense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
I looked it up and you can retro it 10 days, but, assuming Sale comes back from this injury and pitches in spring training games, he can't be retro'd because he is playing. So either they would have to put him on the DL in late March and have him get ready in minor league games or just have him on the opening day roster. The first option makes some sense.

Not if it is in "B" games or minor league games. Those aren't "official" games, I believe.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
Not if it is in "B" games or minor league games. Those aren't "official" games, I believe.

hey ptatc, even thou he is recovering, isn't there a concern about weight and able to handle the weight distribution during a pitching motion??