Brad Penny touching 94, leading candidate for 5th starter

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
I view Rodon, Penny, Carroll, Johnson, Beck as the sixth starters onward this season, in that order as we sit on March 20, and go with that and reevaluate in June/July as far as further acquisitions go, whether trading Danks is possible, or wise, etc. Unless an attractive, cheap, at least better-than -Penny option presents itself, I guess I'm content. I just hope RH doesn't feel the need to go shopping before that June/July time frame.

i like it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what scares me more, the bottom of the White Sox starting rotation, or the bottom of the White Sox bullpen. I'm convinced that this White Sox team is going to be able to hit. Top to bottom, this lineup is going to score alot of runs. With this pitching staff, this team is going to have to score a ton of runs to make the the 2015 Playoffs.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 07:27 AM)
I don't know what scares me more, the bottom of the White Sox starting rotation, or the bottom of the White Sox bullpen. I'm convinced that this White Sox team is going to be able to hit. Top to bottom, this lineup is going to score alot of runs. With this pitching staff, this team is going to have to score a ton of runs to make the the 2015 Playoffs.

Don't judge the merits of the pitching staff on a few March games in AZ. If they continue to get knocked around 30 days from now, then your fears are justified.

It seems that during every season there is a time when you just need to get lucky. Throw all the names in a hat, pull one out, and the odds feel about the same of getting a quality start out of them. After expansion every roster is thin in spots, usually pitching.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Don't judge the merits of the pitching staff on a few March games in AZ. If they continue to get knocked around 30 days from now, then your fears are justified.

then that is pretty obvious, after the fact, and how do you improve the pitching rotation.

there is a reason you don't see teams making trades in the beginning of the season.

Edited by LDF

Penny looked great today IMO. Really one mistake...but had great velocity and his off speed stuff was nice. I have zero problem with him as #5...but of course you know it's not for a full season. If this is the worse problem the Sox have....we're ok.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 02:14 AM)
Brad Penny gets $100,000 if he goes to Triple-A for the #WhiteSox. He has an opt out on 6/1 if he's not in the majors.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/579420985671041024

My prediction is they dont hand him 100,000 bucks to go to the minors. He either makes the team or they release him. Giving him the ball is no worse than giving it to Carroll as the fifth starter for one start or two to see if he can pitch. They won't donate 100,000 to him IMO. It's big league team or release.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 06:59 AM)
My prediction is they dont hand him 100,000 bucks to go to the minors. He either makes the team or they release him. Giving him the ball is no worse than giving it to Carroll as the fifth starter for one start or two to see if he can pitch. They won't donate 100,000 to him IMO. It's big league team or release.

and how much will he make if he makes the team??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 22, 2015 -> 12:59 AM)

They will give it to him if he agrees not to opt out in two months.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
In terms of a baseball salary, that is nothing. Even when you include all of the players making the $500k minimum in MLB, the average salary this year is $4.3 million.

well, look at some players who made tall change and lost it all. either way, 1.5 is a nice little savings for him.