Sox sign Eaton to 5 yr contract, $23.5 mil

Whisox05

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
Or the opposite happens and the end years go down. Everyone would have wanted Beckham go sign this type of deal after his first season with the team, he definitely wasn't worth it in any season after that. It is a risk/reward thing, given his history of injuries the risk is a bit higher which holds down some of the investment in the pre-free agency years. On the other side it does provide cost certainty when planning for future payroll. It is a fair deal at this point, Eaton gets more money upfront and probably loses a little at the end of arbitration IF he stays healthy.

Right, but that's the risk of any contract extension. I think his injury risk is definitely reflected in the price, considering the guy already has two full years of service time.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Cameron @DCameronFG · 52m 52 minutes ago

Like this Eaton deal for both sides. Eaton was never going to get big arb money but Sox the protect against Brantley/Gomez breakout.

David Cameron @DCameronFG · 51m 51 minutes ago

And if there's any kind of player who should sign an early deal, it's the older injury prone guy with limited power. Good for Eaton too

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
I know, it's just the concern that you are paying him for only 125 games a season. It would be nice to see a full season out of him before you commit, but sometimes you have to take the chance.

i was thinking that, but at the same time, he must really like the sox. he will be 33 yr old before he becomes a FA?? i truly hope the best for him and of course the sox.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
i was thinking that, but at the same time, he must really like the sox. he will be 33 yr old before he becomes a FA?? i truly hope the best for him and of course the sox.

I mean, he just made 20 million bucks :D If we're being honest, it's a great deal for anyone

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
I mean, he just made 20 million bucks :D If we're being honest, it's a great deal for anyone

I never get these deals from the players' perspectives. Why not just take out an insurance policy on yourself? Yea it's not gonna pay out 43 million potentially but it's also going to give you something in the worst case scenario health wise.

He has a slightly better year (same rate stats 20 more games played) than last year he could have gotten 60-80 imo.

Hahn has done an amazing job locking in a great core of players so far, Sale, Quintana, Abreu and now Eaton, this has to make a pretty persuasive case for Samardzjia to sign an extension before the end of the year.

Also I'd love to see Hahn sign Avi to an extension on the heels of this one. Great time to be a Sox fan right now, I haven't been this optimistic since the offseason before the 2006 season.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 11:23 PM)

:lol:

if i was being honest, its a great deal for the team. it like gambling, betting on the come.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
Hahn has done an amazing job locking in a great core of players so far, Sale, Quintana, Abreu and now Eaton, this has to make a pretty persuasive case for Samardzjia to sign an extension before the end of the year.

Also I'd love to see Hahn sign Avi to an extension on the heels of this one. Great time to be a Sox fan right now, I haven't been this optimistic since the offseason before the 2006 season.

Personally I'd wait on Avi unless he comes cheap (deal very similar to this one)

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)

The Ted Thompson of baseball

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 06:17 PM)
I never get these deals from the players' perspectives. Why not just take out an insurance policy on yourself? Yea it's not gonna pay out 43 million potentially but it's also going to give you something in the worst case scenario health wise.

He has a slightly better year (same rate stats 20 more games played) than last year he could have gotten 60-80 imo.

It's not just about health, it's also about performance. I'm sure he has all the confidence in the world in himself, but if 2014 turns out to be a career year, he is still set financially. s*** happens, especially with speed guys. Lose a step or two, and you aren't the same player. Athletes' careers are so short, take that money while you can.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)

I would definitely not want to sign Avi to a long-term deal at this point. I like him a lot, but it's really up in the air whether he's going to be a full-time player in the long term

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 11:23 PM)
I would definitely not want to sign Avi to a long-term deal at this point. I like him a lot, but it's really up in the air whether he's going to be a full-time player in the long term

Avi needs to prove something this year. If he does i wouldnt be opposed to extending him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
Agreed. It seems a bit premature, but that seems to be the way MLB works nowadays, no complaints.

It's how it works if you don't want to have to pay $200M for a player. Not saying Eaton would ever attain that level of play, but if you lock up your young players before they hit their prime and take some risk on them, they're MUCH more likely to take a discount and the guaranteed wealth.

Brilliant signing by the Sox, on one of the best leadoff hitters in the AL. If he can improve on his SB ability, he can take that next step to being one of the top leadoff guys in the game.

All you have to do is look at the Jacoby Ellsbury and Hunter PEnce deals to understand why. Granted he doesn't have as much power, but at the same time, contracts are only going up from here. By the time Eaton were to hit FA in 2018, $20 million a year probably won't be out of line for a guy of his skill set. We are getting his entire contract of 7 years for $43 milion, including two free agent years covered for under $20 million if exercised. $1.5 million if not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
All you have to do is look at the Jacoby Ellsbury and Hunter PEnce deals to understand why. Granted he doesn't have as much power, but at the same time, contracts are only going up from here. By the time Eaton were to hit FA in 2018, $20 million a year probably won't be out of line for a guy of his skill set. We are getting his entire contract of 7 years for $43 milion, including two free agent years covered for under $20 million if exercised. $1.5 million if not.

Pedroia is another deal worth mentioning.