Ventura on his job status

southsider2k5

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 07:36 PM)
They argued in the dugout and had to be seperated. It wasnt something that happened often, I can only recall the one time. Pretty sure Bo had to stop Frank from destroying Robin

i am pretty sure that is the story i remember. i also heard that there were some heated discussion in the clubhouse, but all that was heresay.

many thanks Kyyie

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 07:42 PM)
I don't think Ventura or Guillen had it "tougher" because of how they were treated. Guillen made things tougher for himself because he didn't know when to shut his mouth. Ventura makes things tougher for himself because he doesn't entertain the media the way Ozzie did. If anything, the Chicago media is soft when compared to places like NY. it isn't a coincidence that the Chicago media is usually the last to break a baseball story in Chicago.

nice point, i never thought of it like that.

If Ned Yost is such a terrible manager, how can he get the Royals to play so fundamentally sound that they've won 24 of their last 27 (when not facing Bumgarner) games dating back to last season?

And some were picking them fourth? Hmmm...not so fast.

Zero confidence Ventura is the right guy to lead this team anywhere but third or fourth place.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
If Ned Yost is such a terrible manager, how can he get the Royals to play so fundamentally sound that they've won 24 of their last 27 (when not facing Bumgarner) games dating back to last season?

And some were picking them fourth? Hmmm...not so fast.

Zero confidence Ventura is the right guy to lead this team anywhere but third or fourth place.

Yost is an awful tactician but his guys play sharp.

Robin is an awful tactician and his guys' play is about as sharp as those disposable razors they give away at the Hotel front desk.

Most manager's have good and bad traits. The only, honest to goodness trait I see in Robin is ability to handle the media. And of course, when you're expected to contend and this is what we see the first week even that is going to get a helluva lot harder. I hope he gets grilled over that bunt. Grill him.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

And Greg is always bored with how he handles the media and throws out a barrel full of fun Bull Durham-esque baseball cliches.

Yost also has a very sharp and effective coaching staff, particularly (and ironically) Rusty Kuntz for baserunning and OF defense.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)

Absolutely. Dude's in over his head. Pretty much gets all the details wrong.

The necessary change won't be forthcoming anytime soon. A few too many years of Ozzie made the FO a little nuts with the manager's role. I think they're still just happy to be working with someone that they like. Need to aim higher, and outside the "family " preferably.

Won't happen til 2017 earliest.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Absolutely. Dude's in over his head. Pretty much gets all the details wrong.

The necessary change won't be forthcoming anytime soon. A few too many years of Ozzie made the FO a little nuts with the manager's role. I think they're still just happy to be working with someone that they like. Need to aim higher, and outside the "family " preferably.

Won't happen til 2017 earliest.

Can anyone at any time in history point out a manager who was hired with zero experience, who had a record as poor as Robin's over the first four years -- and THEN was extended?

JR's loyalty is insane man.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
Can anyone at any time in history point out a manager who was hired with zero experience, who had a record as poor as Robin's over the first four years -- and THEN was extended?

Joe Torre.

He's now in the Hall of Fame.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 08:30 PM)
Yost is an awful tactician but his guys play sharp.

Robin is an awful tactician and his guys' play is about as sharp as those disposable razors they give away at the Hotel front desk.

Most manager's have good and bad traits. The only, honest to goodness trait I see in Robin is ability to handle the media. And of course, when you're expected to contend and this is what we see the first week even that is going to get a helluva lot harder. I hope he gets grilled over that bunt. Grill him.

I get a kick out of the Yost criticism which pretty much stems from the fact he calls for the bunt a lot, or at least did last year. I mean, critics should say that's why they hate him. He utilizes the bunt and the average fan hates the bunt. But I don't think he's the buffoon people portray him to be.

He's the guy who created the Herrara-Davis-Holland trio to close games and his team is very crisp. I guess his GM got him players who can field, but the Royals look professional when they play if that's the right word. Sox often look like a bunch of airheads. I don't get the Yost criticism, but he gets it in KC, too.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)

It's a two edged sword to be sure. It helps keep guys you want to stay with the org, like Hahn, but keeps guys you wouldn't mind leaving behind in too important positions, and creates an atmosphere where necessary changes are made more difficult.

If RV, Buddy Bell or Brooks Boyer were made available to the other 29 teams, would anyone hire them at their current levels?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
It's a two edged sword to be sure. It helps keep guys you want to stay with the org, like Hahn, but keeps guys you wouldn't mind leaving behind in too important positions, and creates an atmosphere where necessary changes are made more difficult.

If RV, Buddy Bell or Brooks Boyer were made available to the other 29 teams, would anyone hire them at their current levels?

Maybe for Bell, but not that same position/level of authority.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)

To say those guys wouldn't be hired is just saying it. Greg Walker got a job in about 5 minutes after resigning from the White Sox. He, according to this board would never get a job.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
To say those guys wouldn't be hired is just saying it. Greg Walker got a job in about 5 minutes after resigning from the White Sox. He, according to this board would never get a job.

Where's he at today?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)

Well, you're probably right here. Guys who've been around awhile tend to have a lot of pals and get several chances in such an incestuous business. Deserved or otherwise.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Well, you're probably right here. Guys who've been around awhile tend to have a lot of pals and get several chances in such an incestuous business. Deserved or otherwise.

Maybe, or perhaps fans perception, especially White Sox fans who seem to store up frustration all winter to take out the first mistake of the season, is just wrong. I don't think Buddy Bell knows what he is doing myself, but I am damn sure if the White Sox sent him packing, he would find a job somewhere if he wanted. I don't know what everyone has against Brooks Boyer, but I go to the park as much as most, and I think it's a good time. And despite all the frothing at the mouth about Robin on here, I am pretty sure he is highly respected around baseball. To say Robin has cost this team wins this year is crazy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
Maybe, or perhaps fans perception, especially White Sox fans who seem to store up frustration all winter to take out the first mistake of the season, is just wrong. I don't think Buddy Bell knows what he is doing myself, but I am damn sure if the White Sox sent him packing, he would find a job somewhere if he wanted. I don't know what everyone has against Brooks Boyer, but I go to the park as much as most, and I think it's a good time. And despite all the frothing at the mouth about Robin on here, I am pretty sure he is highly respected around baseball. To say Robin has cost this team wins this year is crazy.

Today was the first game that I really think his poor choices made an impact on the outcome. With that said, if this team keeps executing as poorly as they have, I'm sure he'll be let go after the season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
Today was the first game that I really think his poor choices made an impact on the outcome. With that said, if this team keeps executing as poorly as they have, I'm sure he'll be let go after the season.

Again to note...the bolded continues to be the short definition of the last 3 years of the Robin Ventura era.