Marvel Entertainment Thread

WilliamTell

The Black Panther "reprieve" at the end was more interesting in terms of his character development than the Iron Man/Cap detente. You just knew it was coming...felt more like a tease after they inserted the "i'll be there when you need me" note.

Nobody has mentioned the Emily Van Camp/Captain America romance...is there a precedent for that in the comics?

Someone said she might be joining the cast of Agents of SHIELD.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
Too close to real life for Downey, Jr., perhaps?

doubtful, RDJ doesnt shy from roles like that. Sherlock Holmes and his character in The Judge werent exactly saints

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
I think the question I'm trying to ask is actually "why does everyone still think Peter Parker is 16 years old"

Likely due to Bendis' popular Ultimate Spider-Man run. Thank goodness the MCU runs on a fixed timeline, so we'll only get one in HS movie.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
I am kind of disappointed that they dropped the Extremis storyline. he could fix Rhodey right now

This is why you don't introduce magical fix-all macguffins.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
The Black Panther "reprieve" at the end was more interesting in terms of his character development than the Iron Man/Cap detente. You just knew it was coming...felt more like a tease after they inserted the "i'll be there when you need me" note.

Nobody has mentioned the Emily Van Camp/Captain America romance...is there a precedent for that in the comics?

Sharon has been Cap's longtime romance in the comics, since like, the 60s.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)

That's exactly what T'Challa would've done in the comics - he went into it a little too hot, because he was a new leader and jumped to a conclusion a little too soon, but once he got the whole story,

he decided to take a more appropriate action and showed mercy. Zemo would still need to face justice, but not be executed like T'Challa originally wanted to do.

Also, yes, Sharon Carter is Cap's main romantic interest.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
This is why you don't introduce magical fix-all macguffins.

Like, say, Super Soldier serum?

Im glad they left the door open for Zemo to return at some point. his cryptic comment at the end was a good set up

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Like, say, Super Soldier serum?

Im glad they left the door open for Zemo to return at some point. his cryptic comment at the end was a good set up

But the super soldier serum has been impossible to reproduce.

Meanwhile, there's extremis, just, lying over there.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
But the super soldier serum has been impossible to reproduce.

Meanwhile, there's extremis, just, lying over there.

Winter Soldier and the 6 other Winter Soldiers that Zemo took out disagree

There is always gonna be McGuffins.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
Winter Soldier and the 6 other Winter Soldiers that Zemo took out disagree

Was Bucky ever actually given a serum?

And those other winter soldiers were clearly unstable. It's like how it worked for Banner, technically.

No one's ever gotten the perfect serum + vita rays combo since Cap.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)

And those other winter soldiers were clearly unstable. It's like how it worked for Banner, technically.

I mean, we can go back and forth all day but in the end you know that there are many magical fix-all mcguffins within the MCU. Sometimes serums, sometimes gems, sometimes hereditary, sometimes tiny robots.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)

No

Every time they've tried similar experiments to reproduce the formula it's been a disaster. Nuke was unstable. They experiment on a bunch of black soldiers in the 1930s to test the serum (something Cap did not discover until decades later) and almost all of them died except Isaiah Bradley.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
I mean, we can go back and forth all day but in the end you know that there are many magical fix-all mcguffins within the MCU. Sometimes serums, sometimes gems, sometimes hereditary, sometimes tiny robots.

Touche.

But like, Extremis is so painfully relevant in this instance. But RoboRhodey will probably be a fun time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
XMen Apocalypse starting off kind of rough, sitting at 43% RT

Was really hoping my gut feeling was wrong. I was one of the rare who didn't really care for DoFP. Loved First Class though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
No

Every time they've tried similar experiments to reproduce the formula it's been a disaster. Nuke was unstable. They experiment on a bunch of black soldiers in the 1930s to test the serum (something Cap did not discover until decades later) and almost all of them died except Isaiah Bradley.

Meant in the MCU. I couldn't remember him getting it.

So on Agents of SHIELD they discussed the Sokovia Accords last night, as well as Cap and Stark. So it seems like they still may look SHIELD back into the MCU even though they have said they arent planning on doing that

I thought all the characters in Civil War were great. I think it really made the movie. Chris Evans at Captain America is the best adaption of a comic book hero that we have seen.

Except Spider-Man. I thought he was annoying and that putting him in the movie just felt like an advertisement. Also feels like he is getting younger every movie. Can't wait for the 7 year old wise cracking Spider-Kid.

My best guess is that Michael B. Jordan will be Erik Killmonger (rumor had that he was cast as a villain).

Some dudes I know were arguing in a Facebook group that he wasn't big enough to be Killmonger, I had to remind them that comic book characters aren't real.

Watched Deadpool last night.

Hard to really nail it down on whether I liked it or not.

It was entertaining, but didn't really feel like a Marvel film.

I'm not sorry that I watched it, but I probably wouldn't re-watch it.