Danks turning a corner?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 17, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
Hope I'm wrong but I have no faith that he sustains this.

He doesn't need to sustain it, he's the fifth starter. Even if he falls off a bit, that's fine if the top 4 guys pitch like they can.

People here have short memories. Danks was turning the corner last year and didn't pitch too badly. He started slow this year as did abut 2/3'rds of our starting staff. He looked good last night. People want a lot of K's from him but forget that probably one of the best guys we ever had on our pitching staff, namely Mark Buerhle, was not a hard throwing K machine. Taking nothig away from Carlos Rodon and his superlative future but right now Danks is at least the #4 starter and maybe better if the Shark doesn't step up pretty soon.

You can't compare anyone that throws 88 from the left to Buehrle. Let's see post shoulder capsule tear Danks throw 1 year with 200 innings and an era+ above 100, let alone 10 in a row. By the vast majority of metrics (just for example era, fWAR) he was bad last year. Quality starts? How about the 5+ times it was 3-0 or worse after a few innings?

And to be fair, as always: helluva a comeback from what is usually a career ending injury.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

There is nothing wrong with Danks as a #5. If you peruse this board, though, you would think that he insulted a bunch of people's moms.

Well, you really don't want to be paying a guy $14.5M to be your 5th starter, but it's too late to worry about that now and just hope he keeps it going.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 17, 2015 -> 08:25 PM)
Well, you really don't want to be paying a guy $14.5M to be your 5th starter, but it's too late to worry about that now and just hope he keeps it going.

That ship has definitely sailed. He's going to be paid a ton of money whether he's pitching well or not, so we should just do what you said and hope for the best. If he can keep us in the game and give our offense a shot to win us the game, that's just a bonus. And even better if he's our #5 instead of our #4a or #4b.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 17, 2015 -> 08:19 PM)
He was like this last year too. There's some stat out there where if you take away 7 or 8 of his worst starts in 2014, he had a 3.00 ERA... I'm sure he'll allow something like 8 runs in 4 innings in one of his next starts.

He delivery and stuff aren't nearly the same as last year.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 17, 2015 -> 08:07 PM)
This will not last at all.

Whether it does or not, he is excelling and actually looks like a good pitcher. I say give him credit for now and enjoy this. The guy has been good; several other pitchers can't say the same of late, including some relievers who have been iffy (not meaning Robertson who I think is amazing).