"I firmly believe that there seems to be a little bit of a lack o

caulfield12

of leadership in that clubhouse..." (You have to watch the video, which is 5-6 minutes long)

This is the same exact debate we've been having over the last week (and last couple of years) about Ventura. It encapsulates pretty much all of the different viewpoints, with Kaplan playing "Devil's Advocate" with the rest of the panel at Sports Talk Live.

Did Rick Hahn oversell this team being competitive? Should we blame him for being too optimistic?

Lots of words bandied about like "focus" and "complacency."

Gardenhire's name is proffered as a possible solution in terms of cleaning things up on the field of play.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...reak-hits-seven

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 12:10 AM)
I was listening to the SCORE and hiring Robin was a big mistake to being with. He didn't apply for it, had to be coaxed, so there will never be any passion.

this x1000.

this isnt robins fault. its jerry and Kenny's

“That’s just bad,” Ventura said. “I’m tired of talking about it. They know it. We work it all of spring training — you’ve probably seen it a few hundred times that we work on it. I’m getting tired of talking about it because that’s just bad.”

“They need to catch it — that’s what they need to do,” Ventura said. Eaton ranks 25th out of 25 qualified center fielders with minus-9 Defensive Runs Saved while Ramirez is 25th of 27 shortstops, with minus-7.

“You guys ask the questions when it’s not going well,” Eaton said. “Like I said, it didn’t hurt. It was a tough play, but it was glaring because it’s, like I said, we’re not playing well. But if we would have won the game 5-2 it probably wouldn’t even have been a blip on your radar. Like I said, kind of a tough play but it’s probably somewhere where I need to take charge as a center field and call him off, but it’s a good thing it didn’t hurt us in the end.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/robin-...&ocid=yahoo

Not sure that's the best attitude to have about fixing mistakes...well, the run DIDN'T score so it's not a big deal...or, if we had won, it's STILL not a big deal. How does that solve the problem? Just the use of PROBABLY is annoying to read...you're either in charge of the outfield or you're not. "I have to take charge...(or)...Everyone knows I'm in charge of the outfield" not "probably somewhere where I need (not have to)..."

SIGH.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 07:27 AM)
Feel like I've been watching the same thing for about ten years now. And I use the term "watching" very loosely.

THIS.

We have been a horribly run franchise for awhile now and have most Sox fans don't even care anymore. We are turning into the pre-Rocky Wirtz Blackhawks: an irrelevant franchise.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 11:52 PM)
of leadership in that clubhouse..." (You have to watch the video, which is 5-6 minutes long)

This is the same exact debate we've been having over the last week (and last couple of years) about Ventura. It encapsulates pretty much all of the different viewpoints, with Kaplan playing "Devil's Advocate" with the rest of the panel at Sports Talk Live.

Did Rick Hahn oversell this team being competitive? Should we blame him for being too optimistic?

Lots of words bandied about like "focus" and "complacency."

Gardenhire's name is proffered as a possible solution in terms of cleaning things up on the field of play.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...reak-hits-seven

Ron Gardenhire would be a terrible hire. I don't want that crusty old bastard.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2015/6/18/8803...age-for-changes

Hahn.

"We are all in this together. Until a player is traded or there’s been a change on the staff or in the front office or with an advanced scout or whatever, we are all in this 100 percent together. We are all accountable together and we are all doing everything in our energy and efforts to put ourselves in the best position to win. Should we get to the point where any of that changes, you’ll know and we’ll explain why."

I was nervous and excited this year because it from the major league club on down this was the first year where we could see whether Hahn's new tenure, and our "re-focus" on drafting and scouting was paying off.

Well our farm is having a truly brutal year, our major league club a worse one, and every franchise in our division is getting better.

This is the time for a Bears level re-gutting, and it is so frustrating that we are going to continue to trim around the margins.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
I was nervous and excited this year because it from the major league club on down this was the first year where we could see whether Hahn's new tenure, and our "re-focus" on drafting and scouting was paying off.

Well our farm is having a truly brutal year, our major league club a worse one, and every franchise in our division is getting better.

This is the time for a Bears level re-gutting, and it is so frustrating that we are going to continue to trim around the margins.

i too was all for this season, esp with what Hahn did. however i had a gut feeling that the sox didn't finished.

but in spring training, when this club lost to the sCrubs, i started to have a bad feeling. i remember posting it as such. but on paper, i just lost. i had faith in this team, but i am lost for what happen.

every player is not performing as what was expected.

re the farm, i only trusted anderson and the pitching. for me,, this is nothing but a hipcup on the pitching.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)

I swear this Sox team just repeated the same roller coaster of anger that the Bears just put me through. In both cases I realize I should have been able to see that the talent and coach werent really as good as I initially thought.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
I swear this Sox team just repeated the same roller coaster of anger that the Bears just put me through. In both cases I realize I should have been able to see that the talent and coach werent really as good as I initially thought.

Agreed.

There just aren't shortcuts in sports anymore, everyone is too smart.

OTOH, it is truly remarkable that both times sox have made a signing that seemed so obvious and should work out, they went on to become the worst players in the MLB. That's amazing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 07:46 AM)
Nobody thought the Ventura hiring would work out. It seems like the only thing Soxtalk has ever agreed on. And the thread proving that is actually hilarious in retrospect.

I remember really wanting him as a bench coach behind Dave Martinez.

Now I just want him away.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Agreed.

There just aren't shortcuts in sports anymore, everyone is too smart.

OTOH, it is truly remarkable that both times sox have made a signing that seemed so obvious and should work out, they went on to become the worst players in the MLB. That's amazing.

Yes. I'm not even upset at the moves. They were logical and I was in complete agreement with most of them. It's unbelievable how disastrous they were/are so far.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm sure Jose would be an improvement. I'd still like to hire Dave Martinez though.

Why do people like Dave Martinez so much? What has he ever done except stand next to Joe Maddon during games ? Seriously, this guy has been interviewed countless times and never landed a job. I remember when the pitchforks were out for Greg Walker, and the guy here who convinced a few posters that Walker had a "lift and pull" philosophy, wanted the Sox to hire Rudy Jaramillo's "assistant". If he knew what he was talking about, Rudy Jaramillo was the hitting coach with a "lift and pull" philosophy. Just because a guy coaches under Maddon, doesn't mean he's just like Maddon. And really, the Rays sucked last year and finished under .500. Maddon flees, they are devastated by injury, and are in first place. Maybe his genius is overstated.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/...KhLJ/story.html

Who gets the axe first, Ventura or Farrell?

Eaton's coming close, but nothing like Sandoval...interestingly, the Boston problem is perceived to be the veterans, and it feels like it could equally apply to Cabrera, Samardzija or Bonifacio right nowin the Sox clubhouse. Everyone's kind of just going through the motions...but the season is just too long to go on like that without some blowups/frustration coming out.

You can read it coming from Hahn and Ventura in the last 2-3 days as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)

Eaton's coming close, but nothing like Sandoval...interestingly, the Boston problem is perceived to be the veterans, and it feels like it could equally apply to Cabrera, Samardzija or Bonifacio right nowin the Sox clubhouse. Everyone's kind of just going through the motions...but the season is just too long to go on like that without some blowups/frustration coming out.

Who on the White Sox is just going through the motions?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Why do people like Dave Martinez so much? What has he ever done except stand next to Joe Maddon during games ? Seriously, this guy has been interviewed countless times and never landed a job. I remember when the pitchforks were out for Greg Walker, and the guy here who convinced a few posters that Walker had a "lift and pull" philosophy, wanted the Sox to hire Rudy Jaramillo's "assistant". If he knew what he was talking about, Rudy Jaramillo was the hitting coach with a "lift and pull" philosophy. Just because a guy coaches under Maddon, doesn't mean he's just like Maddon. And really, the Rays sucked last year and finished under .500. Maddon flees, they are devastated by injury, and are in first place. Maybe his genius is overstated.

for me, it is on who is available for the manager's job, he is on the top 2 for my opinions.

he was in the final running of at least 2 managers if i remember correctly. also he was assistant to other managers as well.

i still like him or someone else, who i mention already.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)

Farrell, no doubt. I'd put it at 10-1.

There was a time recently that most everyone thought Adam Eaton was the greatest trade of all time ( forgive the slight exaggeration) and Ramirez is a plus defender and the Shark would take us over the top and on and on. If we are done bashing everyone let's get back to playing baseball. This team can still compete

Edited by elrockinMT