2015-2016 NBA Thread

Wohoo...set the tone vs. Cleveland....this years different boys!!!! Rusty game from our best players but Rose's aggressiveness was nice to see. With us playing so many games early in the season, I expect we'll see Noah get the day off and we'll get Portis some more minutes. I also presume we'll see kirk out their as well as they'll give Rose a bit of a rest given the upcoming schedule.

Hoiberg is like no coach (other then Kerr) that I think I've ever seen interviewed on the sideline. I always feel like Kerr is more interested in the interview then the game and it almost seemed Hoiberg was as well (no knock cause Kerr through one year looked legit at least).

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
It was 1 game and we didn't exactly look amazing.

Yeah but then you realize guys Thibs glued to the bench when he could - Mirotic, Snell, Moore and McDermott - came up big and kept it close for Rose, Jimmy and Pau to have their big moments late.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
It was 1 game and we didn't exactly look amazing.

But there are already signs of good things, IMO.

1) No Hinrich (queue the "ha-lle-lu-jah! music)

2) We have more scoring options than Gasol, Butler and Rose. Moore gave good minutes, Niko played well, Snell hit some big shots, etc. Last year that game would have been a loss because Thibs would have shut down any attempt to run an offense in favor of defense with 4-5 minutes to go. Seemed to me that Hoiberg was the opposite - keep scoring points, and that's what they did (granted, Noah getting hurt maybe forced his hand).

3) Playing Niko and Gasol instead of Gasol and Noah gave Rose some lanes to drive through. That was encouraging. He didn't finish a lot of stuff around the rim. I think (and hope) he'll get better at finishing at the rim.

4) I like Noah off the bench. It was an energetic burst when he came in.

Some bad:

1) I don't see how Gasol fits into this team. He's slow. He's a pick and pop guy, not a fluid, screen/motion guy which it seems like Hoiberg likes to play. And he looked to get winded pretty quickly. If they play at a quick pace, that might be an issue, although luckily we have a lot of front court depth.

2) Brooks. Pass the ball.

3) Bulls played good. Cavs played ok without Kyrie. And it still took the full game to win. Certainly didn't calm my fears that they'll get blasted out of the playoffs yet again by Lebron & Co.

I'm fully onboard with some of Hoiberg's changes, but, Thibs got a hell of a lot out of his benches in his time. I think the hockey shifts are not my favorite, but I left last night's game thinking that this team looks basically the same.

It is an awkward awkward group of players with Gasol/Noah/Gibson and weak guards.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
if you close your eyes and listen to Hoiberg speak, and then Paxson, they are almost impossible to tell apart

Totally think the same thing every time I hear him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
The only thing I'd take from last night's game is that we're 1 and 0. But right now that's all that matters.

Yeah. Obviously you can't extrapolate what you saw, but it was nice to see that Snell and McDermott looked like guys who could score at the NBA level last night. It will be really nice when Dunleavy gets back and limits the second small guard on the floor so we don't see too many Rose/Brooks/Moore combinations on the floor at the same time.

Being able to limit minutes for injury prone guys during the regular season will be huge for this team in the playoffs. Taking a guy like Noah, and keeping him around 25 to 30 minutes at 100%, versus 42 minutes will payoff in the long run for him.

I have no doubt it will cost us a few wins during the regular season, but in the long run that doesn't matter as much as the playoffs.

I would like to see Jimmy stay on the floor when Rose gets subbed out, and leave the floor for a brief time when Rose subs back in.

I think they should share the court a lot, but also one of them should be on the court when the other isn't.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
I'm fully onboard with some of Hoiberg's changes, but, Thibs got a hell of a lot out of his benches in his time. I think the hockey shifts are not my favorite, but I left last night's game thinking that this team looks basically the same.

It is an awkward awkward group of players with Gasol/Noah/Gibson and weak guards.

The problem is Thibs got forced into playing those players a lot.

The Bench Mobs were fantastic. But we all know that Thibs buried young players unless there was an injury. Then they got buried again immediately, even if they played well.

Thibs was an amazing coach, but his biggest weaknesses were a terrible offensive scheme (and reluctance to hire an offensive assistant) and his rigid rotations.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
I would like to see Jimmy stay on the floor when Rose gets subbed out, and leave the floor for a brief time when Rose subs back in.

I think they should share the court a lot, but also one of them should be on the court when the other isn't.

Totally agree, especially as Rose gets back to 40 minute a night health.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
The problem is Thibs got forced into playing those players a lot.

The Bench Mobs were fantastic. But we all know that Thibs buried young players unless there was an injury. Then they got buried again immediately, even if they played well.

Thibs was an amazing coach, but his biggest weaknesses were a terrible offensive scheme (and reluctance to hire an offensive assistant) and his rigid rotations.

I never bought the Thibs burries his rookie / young players argument. He got a ton out of Asik, Butler, Taj, and Niko. Yes, he didn't play Doug much last year, but Doug was hurt for a good chunk of the year and it was tough getting him involved. I'm sure this year he'd have gotten more minutes anyway. I do agree that it is nice to have a coach who would appear to have a better approach towards the long-term outlook in terms of minutes.