2015-2016 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
It's a shame that Rose is no longer the player he used to be. We'd have a real shot of winning it all if we had MVP Rose with this Jimmy Butler. Jimmy was the guy we needed back in 2011.

Imagine Butler there instead of Bogans. Championship.

Don't get all the "if we had this butler with 2011 rose" we would've won the title talk. it's a ridiculous hypothetical. One, butler wasn't even in the league in 2011. to look at him now and try go back five years is dumb. What if Hakeem, Drexler and Barkley had all been in their primes when they teamed up? wtf cares. they weren't. anyway, butler is a legitimate stud and was amazing tonight. good win against an awful team. they still have no chance whatsoever against cleveland and until rose and noah are gone they'll never be able to build a legit contender.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:32 PM)
Don't get all the "if we had this butler with 2011 rose" we would've won the title talk. it's a ridiculous hypothetical. One, butler wasn't even in the league in 2011. to look at him now and try go back five years is dumb. What if Hakeem, Drexler and Barkley had all been in their primes when they teamed up? wtf cares. they weren't. anyway, butler is a legitimate stud and was amazing tonight. good win against an awful team. they still have no chance whatsoever against cleveland and until rose and noah are gone they'll never be able to build a legit contender.

Preach

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 12:25 AM)

Talk about putting the team on your back.

He probably should have scored a few more. There were a couple of fouls that didn't get called when he went to the rim and still got the bucket.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)
Butler is a star. Honestly...I'm starting to wonder if the real plan shouldn't be find a way to get another star around Jimmy (move whomever you need to and go all out again for max players).

I think it depends on who you go after and if you trust Hoiberg to coach.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 05:51 AM)
I think it depends on who you go after and if you trust Hoiberg to coach.

And make no doubt about it, the Bulls trust Hoiberg. Every player not named Butler is expendable. I think the Bulls are looking to rebuild over a couple of years and hope LeBron has deteriorated enough in a few seasons to really contend.

Popovich and Sager are great. I love that Pop is just a dick to everyone else with their dumb questions but makes a point to give Sager good responses

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 07:32 AM)
And make no doubt about it, the Bulls trust Hoiberg. Every player not named Butler is expendable. I think the Bulls are looking to rebuild over a couple of years and hope LeBron has deteriorated enough in a few seasons to really contend.

Gar trusts him. And lets be honest here, he isnt going anywhere because JR is already paying 2 coaches right now, and he isnt about to be paying 3 coaches concurrently if they decided to ditch Hoiberg.

Bottom line, we are stuck with Hoiberg, good or bad, for at least a few more years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
Popovich and Sager are great. I love that Pop is just a dick to everyone else with their dumb questions but makes a point to give Sager good responses

Gar trusts him. And lets be honest here, he isnt going anywhere because JR is already paying 2 coaches right now, and he isnt about to be paying 3 coaches concurrently if they decided to ditch Hoiberg.

Bottom line, we are stuck with Hoiberg, good or bad, for at least a few more years.

Right. The Bulls organization (JR et al) should have fired GarPax before hiring another coach if JR didn't have faith in the FO.

Fact is, this team likely has to get worse before it gets better.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:32 PM)

And thus ends another chapter of J4L craps on the Bulls.

Ok, so let's talk about Jimmy Butler. For whatever reason, he's not being recognized as the complete stud he is. I'm actually trying to come up with the reasons that both the national and local media aren't talking about Jimmy Butler enough. Here's my best attempt to explain.

- DERRICK ROSE: A huge majority of Chicago still wants him to be the man. So anything Butler does is just looked at as "sidekick" work for when Rose comes back to being great. The national media cannot get past the downfall of Rose and would rather use that storyline than the rise of Jimmy Butler

- JOAKIM NOAH: Just watch the highlights in the clip a few posts above to see what I'm about to talk about - Jo doesn't want Jimmy to be the man. Jo's bench role coupled with the downfall of Derrick is killing him. See how the entire bench goes bananas for Butler all game and Jo stands there, stoic, expressionless, with the rage building inside of him. He misses the glory days of his "little brother", the youngest MVP in league history, and his playing 40+ minutes per game. He does not want a changing of the guard.

- THE NBA F*CKED UP: Jimmy Butler went at the end of the first round. He is now a top 5 NBA player. There, I said it, Jimmy Butler is a top 5 NBA player. The NBA, the talking heads, and all the experts will never see Jimmy as a guy performing at or above other guys taken in the top 10 of the NBA Draft year in and year out. The Top 5 are:

1. LeBron James

2. Kevin Durant

3. Steph Curry (I don't want to hear it)

4. Kawhi Leonard

5. Jimmy Butler

I also don't want to hear about AD until he actually factors in W/L's, and I don't want to hear about Russell Westbrook because he's a sidekick who shoots a low percentage.

- USAGE RATE: Jimmy Butler's usage rate falls well below the above studs mostly because when Derrick's on the floor, he hogs the ball. A man of his talents should NOT be 41st in the East in usage rate. But he has a f***ing BALL HOG on his roster who his spineless coach runs the offense through when he decides to actually suit up. Derrick's usage rate is 31st in the NBA.

Derrick Rose: 250th in PER, 31st in Usage Rate

Jimmy Butler: 17th in PER, 41st in Usage Rate

Makes a ton of sense, right? Nope. Players with a higher usage rate than Jimmy freaking Butler include: Dennis Schroder, Reggie Jackson, Isaiah Thomas, DeMar DeRozan, Derrick Rose, Marreese Speights, Emmannuel Mudiay, Zack LaVine, Brandon Knight, Jeff Teague, Alec Burks, Markieff Morris, Nikola Vucevic, Trey Burke... need I go on?

The only guy on the PER list above Jimmy with a lower usage rate is a center who can't handle the ball (Hassan Whiteside) whose PER is boosted by 4+ blocks per game.

So, in summary, as long as Derrick's worthless ass is on this roster, Jimmy won't get the usage or respect he truly deserves as a superstar in this league.

Oh, and Fred Hoiberg is a dunce.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
Ok, so let's talk about Jimmy Butler. For whatever reason, he's not being recognized as the complete stud he is. I'm actually trying to come up with the reasons that both the national and local media aren't talking about Jimmy Butler enough. Here's my best attempt to explain.

- DERRICK ROSE: A huge majority of Chicago still wants him to be the man. So anything Butler does is just looked at as "sidekick" work for when Rose comes back to being great. The national media cannot get past the downfall of Rose and would rather use that storyline than the rise of Jimmy Butler

- JOAKIM NOAH: Just watch the highlights in the clip a few posts above to see what I'm about to talk about - Jo doesn't want Jimmy to be the man. Jo's bench role coupled with the downfall of Derrick is killing him. See how the entire bench goes bananas for Butler all game and Jo stands there, stoic, expressionless, with the rage building inside of him. He misses the glory days of his "little brother", the youngest MVP in league history, and his playing 40+ minutes per game. He does not want a changing of the guard.

- THE NBA F*CKED UP: Jimmy Butler went at the end of the first round. He is now a top 5 NBA player. There, I said it, Jimmy Butler is a top 5 NBA player. The NBA, the talking heads, and all the experts will never see Jimmy as a guy performing at or above other guys taken in the top 10 of the NBA Draft year in and year out. The Top 5 are:

1. LeBron James

2. Kevin Durant

4. Kawhi Leonard

5. Jimmy Butler

I also don't want to hear about AD until he actually factors in W/L's, and I don't want to hear about Russell Westbrook because he's a sidekick who shoots a low percentage.

- USAGE RATE: Jimmy Butler's usage rate falls well below the above studs mostly because when Derrick's on the floor, he hogs the ball. A man of his talents should NOT be 41st in the East in usage rate. But he has a f***ing BALL HOG on his roster who his spineless coach runs the offense through when he decides to actually suit up. Derrick's usage rate is 31st in the NBA.

Makes a ton of sense, right? Nope. Players with a higher usage rate than Jimmy freaking Butler include: Dennis Schroder, Reggie Jackson, Isaiah Thomas, DeMar DeRozan, Derrick Rose, Marreese Speights, Emmannuel Mudiay, Zack LaVine, Brandon Knight, Jeff Teague, Alec Burks, Markieff Morris, Nikola Vucevic, Trey Burke... need I go on?

The only guy on the PER list above Jimmy with a lower usage rate is a center who can't handle the ball (Hassan Whiteside) whose PER is boosted by 4+ blocks per game.

So, in summary, as long as Derrick's worthless ass is on this roster, Jimmy won't get the usage or respect he truly deserves as a superstar in this league.

This is the best post I've seen on here in a long time.

Well done.

1. LeBron James

2. Kevin Durant

4. Kawhi Leonard

5. Jimmy Butler

Excellent post except for one thing. Steph Curry is the best player in the world atm. This is not debatable. When you're more accurate from 35-40 feet than a lot of guys are from 20 feet then it's just done. And dude's got a +/- of 22.0. Nobody, not jordan, shaq, magic, lebron, etc, has sniffed that.

1. LeBron James

2. Kevin Durant

4. Kawhi Leonard

5. Jimmy Butler

You probably spent a week coming up with this post.

That said, well done!

:P

Maybe Jimmy would get the ball more if he tried to play within the offense. Jimmy Butler and Pau Gasol are basically the same player. Pretty good passers that only like to play getting Isos and transition plays. I'll still take Westbrook over Jimmy. He's great, he's smart, I love him as a Bull. But Westbrook can make any play anywhere on the court. Jimmy can make sure he gets a smaller guard and post them up, and do that a lot in a game. It's very effective, but if he were forced to up his usage rate, I don't think the Bulls would be a better team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
Maybe Jimmy would get the ball more if he tried to play within the offense. Jimmy Butler and Pau Gasol are basically the same player. Pretty good passers that only like to play getting Isos and transition plays. I'll still take Westbrook over Jimmy. He's great, he's smart, I love him as a Bull. But Westbrook can make any play anywhere on the court. Jimmy can make sure he gets a smaller guard and post them up, and do that a lot in a game. It's very effective, but if he were forced to up his usage rate, I don't think the Bulls would be a better team.

Pau is terrible passer and turnover machine.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
Excellent post except for one thing. Steph Curry is the best player in the world atm. This is not debatable. When you're more accurate from 35-40 feet than a lot of guys are from 20 feet then it's just done. And dude's got a +/- of 22.0. Nobody, not jordan, shaq, magic, lebron, etc, has sniffed that.

I always look at best player in the following ways...

- who do I take as the 1st pick in a one game playoff with my life on the line (LeBron)

- who do I take as the 1st pick if I'm starting a franchise today (Kevin Durant)

Curry is cute. He bombs threes. He also has an amazing supporting cast and still got taken to 6 games by the King without Love or Irving. GTFO with the flavor of the week and give me some real basketball analysis.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 07:28 AM)
I think the easy star to pair with Jimmy right now that's actually available is DeMarcus Cousins.

Noah, Gasol, Snell, and a pick for Cousins? I don't know if we have the assets to get him. FWIW they do have Belinelli/Gay and other trade chips.

Anyway, let me have my fantasy:

Rose (34)/Brooks (8)/Moore (5)/Hinrich (1)

Butler (36)/Hinrich (8)/Moore (4)

McDermott (28)/Mirotic (18)/Butler (2)

Gibson (30)/Mirotic (10)/Portis (8)

Cousins (36)/Portis (12)

Butler (38)

Cousins (36)

Rose (34)

Gibson (30)

Mirotic (28)

McDermott (28)

Portis (20)

Hinrich (9)