40 man roster

BamaDoc

As the minor league seasons are winding down are there are always players on the bubble to be added or dropped from the 40 man roster and thus subject to be drafted by other teams. Who are some of the players on the bubble and what would you do? I noticed Drabek was not on the 40 nor Zach Phillips. I could see teams take them. I think Peter Tago could peek interest. Guys on in danger Ynoa, Nieto, Guerra for starters. What are your thoughts on who you would or wouldn't want to expose?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
As the minor league seasons are winding down are there are always players on the bubble to be added or dropped from the 40 man roster and thus subject to be drafted by other teams. Who are some of the players on the bubble and what would you do? I noticed Drabek was not on the 40 nor Zach Phillips. I could see teams take them. I think Peter Tago could peek interest. Guys on in danger Ynoa, Nieto, Guerra for starters. What are your thoughts on who you would or wouldn't want to expose?

my opinion would be harsh and i do not want to take away from this good subject.

i really thought some might have posted here. but oh well. i will start with this.

Dan Jennings Pitcher - protect

Jake Petricka Pitcher - protect

Jeff Samardzija Pitcher - free agent / do not protect

David Robertson Pitcher - protect

Jose Quintana Pitcher - protect

Carlos Rodon Pitcher - protect

Zach Putnam Pitcher - protect

Chris Sale Pitcher - protect

Matt Albers Pitcher - protect

John Danks Pitcher with his contract / do not protect

Zach Duke Pitcher - protect

Tyler Saladino - protect

Trayce Thompson - protect

Adam Eaton - protect

Carlos Sanchez - protect

J.B. Shuck - protect

Jose Abreu - protect

Avisail Garcia - protect

Adam LaRoche with his contract / do not protect

Gordon Beckham - do not protect, unless the fo needs him.

Alexei Ramirez - protect

Geovany Soto do not protect ////// undecided

Melky Cabrera --protect

Tyler Flowers - protect

Frankie Montas Pitcher - protect

Michael Ynoa Pitcher - protect

Junior Guerra Pitcher - protect

Chris Beck Pitcher - protect

Scott Carroll Pitcher do not protect

Erik Johnson Pitcher - protect

Daniel Webb Pitcher - protect

Kevan Smith do not protect

Matt Davidson do not protect

Leury Garcia - protect

Adrian Nieto - protect

Rob Brantly - protect

Micah Johnson - protect

going in, the sox has 38 players protected, with this new tally per my opinion i have added 8 more that i would not protect. the reason being, the young players that need to be added to the 40 man roster.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
i really thought some might have posted here. but oh well. i will start with this.

Tyler Saladino - protect

Adam Eaton - protect

Carlos Sanchez - protect

J.B. Shuck - protect

Jose Abreu - protect

Avisail Garcia - protect

Alexei Ramirez - protect

Melky Cabrera --protect

Tyler Flowers - protect

Leury Garcia - protect

Adrian Nieto - protect

Rob Brantly - protect

Micah Johnson - protect

going in, the sox has 38 players protected, with this new tally per my opinion i have added 8 more that i would not protect. the reason being, the young players that need to be added to the 40 man roster.

The problem is if you drop Danks or LaRoche etc you owe them their money and get nothing for them.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
Nieto (never going to be able to hit enough), Guerra (he stinks), and Carrol (beck/drabek can do his job) are all guys I would have no problem leaving off of the roster. Drabek should definitely be kept

Drabek? I'd take Carroll, Beck, Jaye and probably half a dozen other 40-man decision fringe guys over Drabek, who's stuff is garbage.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 23, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)

Tyler Saladino - protect

Adam Eaton - protect

Carlos Sanchez - protect

J.B. Shuck - protect

Jose Abreu - protect

Avisail Garcia - protect

Alexei Ramirez - protect

Melky Cabrera --protect

Tyler Flowers - protect

Leury Garcia - protect

Adrian Nieto - protect

Rob Brantly - protect

Micah Johnson - protect

I disagree with the ones in bold. But it kind of depends on who else needs protection.

As for Leury, the Sox spent $6million on utility infielders this offseason. Until they wean off of the need for 2 utility infielders on the 25, he's the guy.

Edited by GreenSox

Only noticed this because of the highlighting in the last post, but I'm pretty sure Matt Albers cannot be "protected". He has more than 6 years of big league service time and is on a 1 year deal. He will file for free agency a few days after the world series and that will clear his 40 man roster spot, unless he is resigned to a contract extension before that date.

First of all, there are only 38 guys on the 40 man roster right now, so there are already two open spots without getting rid of anybody.

Jeff Samadzija, Gordon Bekcham, Geovany Soto and Matt Albers become free agents at the end of the season, so unless any of them get re-signed, that frees up four more spots.

If the Sox decline Alexei's option, then that frees up one more spot.

So you can have the 40 man roster down to 33 without having to DFA anybody, and all of this happens before the date when players have to get added to the 40 to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.

If for some reason you still need space, Scott Carroll and Rob Brantly are probably the first two DFA candidates.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
Only noticed this because of the highlighting in the last post, but I'm pretty sure Matt Albers cannot be "protected". He has more than 6 years of big league service time and is on a 1 year deal. He will file for free agency a few days after the world series and that will clear his 40 man roster spot, unless he is resigned to a contract extension before that date.

Correct.

He's pitching well. Hahn should trade him.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 12:08 AM)
Yep, if they are under big league contract they are part of your 40 man

maybe you can help in some info.

i always thought that after the season, the sox can put waivers on anyone ..... keep them on waivers until a decision is needed. now with the rule 5 draft, do those players in question, can they be not on the 40-man roster???

thereby making them available to anyone.

Selection eligibility[edit]

Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:

– were 18 or younger on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fifth Rule 5 draft upcoming; or

– were 19 or older on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is fourth Rule 5 draft upcoming.

These exemption periods (one year longer than those in effect previously) went into effect as part of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement in October 2006. The change took effect immediately, exempting many players from the 2006 Rule 5 draft even though they had been signed in some cases more than four years before the new agreement came into effect. Prior to the rule change, players were exempt from the first two or three Rule 5 drafts held after their signing (regardless of the year they were drafted), rather than from the first three or four Rule 5 drafts after their signing.

Sorry hope this helps We draft a lot of college players so a lot of guys with three/four years service are eligible if not on 40 man. Other team gets them for 50k and must keep on ML roster all year or offer back to original team/work out trade. This was how we got Nieto who I would not protect.

Edited by BamaDoc

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 04:09 AM)
Selection eligibility[edit]

Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:

– were 18 or younger on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fifth Rule 5 draft upcoming; or

– were 19 or older on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is fourth Rule 5 draft upcoming.

These exemption periods (one year longer than those in effect previously) went into effect as part of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement in October 2006. The change took effect immediately, exempting many players from the 2006 Rule 5 draft even though they had been signed in some cases more than four years before the new agreement came into effect. Prior to the rule change, players were exempt from the first two or three Rule 5 drafts held after their signing (regardless of the year they were drafted), rather than from the first three or four Rule 5 drafts after their signing.

Sorry hope this helps We draft a lot of college players so a lot of guys with three/four years service are eligible if not on 40 man. Other team gets them for 50k and must keep on ML roster all year or offer back to original team/work out trade. This was how we got Nieto who I would not protect.

thanks for your hard work in looking that up.

but with ref to experience players who are on a contract, can they be expose to the rule 5 and not be protected for the draft??

,I could see a guy like Peter Tago who is 23, former first rounder, mid nineties fastball who looks like the light has come on in our organization. Now AA relieving his walk rate is about half his career rate and k rate over 10. If I was another org I would pay 50k to bring him to spring training and maybe stash in the back of a bullpen for a year if he isn't protected. If it works you get a cheap arm for years, if not small cash loss.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
,I could see a guy like Peter Tago who is 23, former first rounder, mid nineties fastball who looks like the light has come on in our organization. Now AA relieving his walk rate is about half his career rate and k rate over 10. If I was another org I would pay 50k to bring him to spring training and maybe stash in the back of a bullpen for a year if he isn't protected. If it works you get a cheap arm for years, if not small cash loss.

arms.... the org needs more arms.

entering this off season, i expect the sox will trade their surplus of pitchers and major prospects to acquire assets to help the parent team.

You need to protect the best assets whether arms or position players. I had hoped those with more knowledge of our system would bring forth players on the bubble that we might better understand off season player movement. If the 40 is full, a draftable player may be included in a trade because you feel you may lose him anyway. Or it might explain multi player trades where you give up 3 for 2 if you feel your 40 man is tight. In the past with a weaker farm system this was less of an issue. Now as our farm system appears deeper, you want to protect the right people. It would be good in the mid season or end of season prospect lists to include if on the 40 man and if not what year must they be protected by in order to not be drafted.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 07:34 PM)
You need to protect the best assets whether arms or position players. I had hoped those with more knowledge of our system would bring forth players on the bubble that we might better understand off season player movement. If the 40 is full, a draftable player may be included in a trade because you feel you may lose him anyway. Or it might explain multi player trades where you give up 3 for 2 if you feel your 40 man is tight. In the past with a weaker farm system this was less of an issue. Now as our farm system appears deeper, you want to protect the right people. It would be good in the mid season or end of season prospect lists to include if on the 40 man and if not what year must they be protected by in order to not be drafted.

after rereading this post, i came to this understanding. i believe the season will need to be over for several reason.

1. the sox list of the 40 will be needed to be updated, esp with prospects / players who will have to, b/c of their service time. (i too do not know this part of the protected date)

2. all will know which FA's will be given a QO. (b/c this will tell how some teams may address their needs via trades)