9/4 at KC Royals

flavum

Well, this is one game where the Danks tradition of beating KC won out over the overall scenario.

Of course, it came way too late to make any difference.

Now, it's almost like anything Danks does well will be used as an argument for keeping him all of next season..."well, he's our only starter who can consistently beat the Royals, so we have to ignore his results against the rest of baseball and keep him around"

At least Greg can praise him for beating the Royals, the anti/reverse Bruce Chen or Guthrie.

And yet you just know a game like this wasn't possible when the pressure was actually on and the White Sox were 2-3 games out of the Wild Card race.

Now with every win, you're wondering if it decreases the odds of picking up the right hitter in the draft next June.

It would be pretty ironic if the Twins crept back and took the WC after everyone basically wrote them off and said Molitor had no idea what he was doing....that would mean 3 of the 4 "totally inexperienced" managers would have gotten their teams into the playoffs, all but Ventura.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 11:11 PM)
Danks is better than Shark.

Danks has pitched well the 2nd half of this season considering the way the team has played. With Shark going and the strong possibility of Q or Rodon traded for offense, Danks could actually jump up from 5th to 3rd starter next season.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
Danks has pitched well the 2nd half of this season considering the way the team has played. With Shark going and the strong possibility of Q or Rodon traded for offense, Danks could actually jump up from 5th to 3rd starter next season.

for me, i would like to take baby steps.... i would say #5 to a #4.

If Danks is our #3, good luck winning more than 72-74 games.

I guess it doesn't matter how you slot Erik Johnson, Montas and/or Fulmer...but those rookie pitchers (and EJ's barely past the innings limit, so technically 2nd year) are going to have to pitch a lot better than Samardzija and Rodon this season.

Not likely.

It's hard to count on more than one of them having an ERA under 4, in all honesty.

And it would seem insane to spend money on a FA pitcher (think Latos/Iwakuma level) to replace Samardzija when they need to pitch Johnson/Montas/Fulmer in order to prepare them all for THEORETICALLY trying to compete in 2017 (3rd year of the supposed window).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)

I guess it doesn't matter how you slot Erik Johnson, Montas and/or Fulmer...but those rookie pitchers (and EJ's barely past the innings limit, so technically 2nd year) are going to have to pitch a lot better than Samardzija and Rodon this season.

Not likely.

It's hard to count on more than one of them having an ERA under 4, in all honesty.

And it would seem insane to spend money on a FA pitcher (think Latos/Iwakuma level) to replace Samardzija when they need to pitch Johnson/Montas/Fulmer in order to prepare them all for THEORETICALLY trying to compete in 2017 (3rd year of the supposed window).

They will probably win 72+ games this year. Danks has been better in the 2nd half than Shark who was our #3 this year. If they trade Q or Rodon and can improve from a terrible offensive team to just average, I think 80-82 wins is very possible next year. The 2nd half defense is much improved over the 1st half but still needs improvement in the outfield. Hopefully a new manager, a couple of solid bats and one + defensive outfielder and I think .500 is realistic.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)

Not likely.

I strongly believe it's Danks returning to full strength and that has taken time. I see his fastball topping out around 92 MPH more and more, which makes his killer changeup that much better. It is so easy to be a pessimist. Let's be positive for a change. I think we will see some fun stuff this off season. It will be interesting to see who stays, who goes and who is added. 2016 is just around the corner baseball fans.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
I strongly believe it's Danks returning to full strength and that has taken time. I see his fastball topping out around 92 MPH more and more, which makes his killer changeup that much better. It is so easy to be a pessimist. Let's be positive for a change. I think we will see some fun stuff this off season. It will be interesting to see who stays, who goes and who is added. 2016 is just around the corner baseball fans.

6329_P_FA_20150904.png

Average FB is 89.4 this year, was 88.5 last year, and was 89.3 in 2013. Pre injury he was at 90.5-91.5. Looks from the graph like all 3 years he's picked up the speed gradually during the year, which is interesting and becomign a pattern.