If you traded Sale to Dodgers……...

BamaDoc

42 members have voted

1. 1. Sale to LAD for Seager 3b, Urias LHP, Barnes C, Anderson

• I would never trade Sale
    • It's not enough
    • It's too much, Dodgers would never do it
    • It is the kind of return I would need to reluctantly trade him.

If you have to make a major pitching trade to rebuild the team would this make sense? The Dodgers are a big money team who may be looking for an ace, are in a win now mode, and have prospects. Seager 21yo could play third and per MLB #2 prospect in all of baseball. Urias LHP 19yo in AA rated #4 prospect in MLB. Anderson 23yo is a RHP in AA-AAA. Dodgers #8 prospect who throws hard and thought to start vs close. Barnes 25yo C #11 Dodger prospect has been in MLB this year. walks more than ks.

Edited by knightni

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
The Dodgers basically have bottomless pockets. Why would they want to give up substantial prospects for Sale when they can just go out and sign David Price?

That's true, the other problem is it is too much for the Dodgers to give up, and at the same time, not enough for the White Sox.

I look at Sale almost as an unmovable guy from both sides. It would be great if the Sox were offered something they couldn't refuse, but teams want to hold on to hitting prospects like gold. Why would they risk emptying out their farm system on a pitcher that starts 30-31 games and has a scary body frame? His body might hold up, and I hope it does, but it would be very risky thing from the Sox side since you never know with prospects, and definitely risky from another team's perspective because he could blow out in the next couple years.

If it happens this winter, I'll be very surprised.

Honestly with the young pitching we seem to be developing, trading Sale is probably our best bet to contend anytime soon. Boston matches up well and I'd take a deal like Swihart, Betts, Bradley Jr., Yoan Moncada and Henry Owens. That's the only frustrating thing about the Sale trade ideas though, because his worth with the talent, age and contract makes him too valuable. Pretty sure Boston would laugh us off the phone for that offer but there will be people that think it's not enough for Sale.

The Dodgers showed at the deadline just how much they value the likes of Urias, Barnes and Seager by refusing to trade them, according to the rumors. I think DA is spot on, too much for the Dodgers and not enough for the Sox.

I'm not against trading any Sox player but determining Sale's value is a difficult task to say the least.

Call me crazy, but I would do Sale for Puig, Seager, and Barnes. Rodon looks like an ace, Q is a more than solid #2, the guys you're trading for are young enough to where Fulmer is gonna be around and should be a front of the rotation guy, and there are a plethora of guys who you can slot in to the 4/5 a year or 2 from now.

I prefer trading Q, but if you can get 3 good young starters for one Chris Sale? I'm game.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
Call me crazy, but I would do Sale for Puig, Seager, and Barnes. Rodon looks like an ace, Q is a more than solid #2, the guys you're trading for are young enough to where Fulmer is gonna be around and should be a front of the rotation guy, and there are a plethora of guys who you can slot in to the 4/5 a year or 2 from now.

I prefer trading Q, but if you can get 3 good young starters for one Chris Sale? I'm game.

I would do this in a heartbeat. Frankly, nobody is going to give up this much talent for a single player, no matter how valuable. That's why the best value you are going to get for Chris Sale is by keeping him.

In the offseason thread I purposed a Sale + Robertson trade for Seager, Urias, Barnes and Puig and honestly I think that is a fair trade from both ends. While the dodgers have a lot of financial resources they've said time and time again they will be bringing their payroll in line in the near future. Here is why a trade scenario like that works.

From the Sox side if you're going to blow a hole in the rotation you might as well move the most valuable piece in it. Chris Sale looks like a Clayton Kershaw clone, and while his contract might not matter as much to the dodgers, it still matters. Going into next year They've only got Kershaw and Wood locked up. Greinke can opt out and Anderson is a free agent. McCarthy is coming back from TJS and Ryu has a torn labrum he is recovering from. I doubt the dodgers braintrust is penciling in either of them for any meaningful innings. As shown by the second half the dodgers also have a real need for more bullpen support while Robertson has been a bit shaky lately he is still putting up some of his career best in a number of categories and should out perform his contract.

The dodgers have the major league depth to move all of the above pieces and not even bat an eye. k*** is an above average defender at shortstop and other teams even viewed him as such, not just a super utility player. Between k*** and Peraza they've got a young talented middle infield, and Turner is holding down the hot corner, so Seager is expendable. Behind the dish Grandal is having of his best seasons on both sides of the plate and is still young and locked up for a while and Ellis isn't a terrible back up either, so that makes Barnes expendable. Urias is an amazing prospect and could be ready as soon as mid season next year but TINSTAAPP and if you're going to get a clayton kershaw you're going to have to give up a lot of perceived future value; Sale appears to be generational. As for Puig its becoming increasingly apparent that he has worn out his welcome and is hurt in addition to not living up to true talent, the dodgers would be selling a bit low here but in the grand scheme of things they're bringing in two stalwarts for their pitching staff.

The dodgers weren't going to give up Seager or Urias for a rental but for 4 years of Sale this changes things drastically.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
This has nothing to do with Sale, but would you guys do a Quintana for Seager deal?

I think I would. I love Q, but Seager looks like a stud and he plays third base, which is a black hole for the Sox.

I would, but the Dodgers wouldn't although it is pretty fair.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 05:35 PM)
Dodgers don't need another starter for Sale's price, think of teams requiring pitching: Boston, Texas, Colorado, Arizona. Those teams are more feasible trading partners

I think Boston goes FA route probably after Price. I think they will try and unload Hanley and Panda and keep the young players at catcher and outfield. But maybe Dombroski loses out on Price and would take Q for some of their young talent.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
I think Boston goes FA route probably after Price. I think they will try and unload Hanley and Panda and keep the young players at catcher and outfield. But maybe Dombroski loses out on Price and would take Q for some of their young talent.

To my knowledge while with Det. Dombroski never signed any big name FA pitchers. He always traded for them. That's not to say he won't going forward. He's also got quite a few players with which to trade. It would seem to be the cheaper way to go as well.

QUOTE (Soxfan90 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:32 AM)
It will be foolish to trade Sale, and that's all I have to say about that.

Couldn't disagree more. If you can get 4-5 high caliber players (3 MLB ready and 2 big time prospects) for one pitcher with questionable mechanics, it's easily worth the risk.

QUOTE (Soxfan90 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)
It will be foolish to trade Sale, and that's all I have to say about that.

I agree.

I get he'd net you an unbelievable haul, but lets be honest... no team is going to be able or want to pay the right asking price for him. If the Sox do trade him, it's going to be an underwhelming return based on everyone's expectations of what they should recieve.