My FA/realistic trade targets for this offeason

TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)
Ooh personal attacks. And last year at this time I was hearing the "fact" that shark was an elite starter.

That's not a personal attack. lol now calling you a "s***head" that's a personal attack...not that I'm calling you that just clarifying things.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)
Just as a side note for those who think Trayce and his impeccable defense is a fourth Of (I mean how could he possibly approach Melky value?) and the rest of the prospects who aren't mL starter quality by 24 should be dumped, Frazier was modest in AA and AAA at age 26.

I'm not ready to rule out Trayce as a regular, but completely ignoring his minor league track record and citing one outlier isn't going to convince me he is. If we're serious about competing next year, he should begin the season as our 4th OF and force his way into the lineup. And that could very well happen if LaRoche is retained as our DH. RF should be an area of focus this offseason as a potential spot for an impact bat.

Compare those to the ones listed for Brandon Phillips, and see if you still put any stock in these particular ratings. They're fan generated, and as far as I'm concerned, they're ridiculously inaccurate and far underestimating Todd's defense. Either that, or the awful sample size of him playing at 1B has dragged his overall numbers so far down that his stellar 3B play is wholly unrecognizable in these ratings. Basically, just pretend I didn't populate this section and just know that Todd's an above average defender. Freakin' fans and their graphs.

Instincts: (60)

First step: (55)

Speed: (49)

Hands: (59)

Release: (59)

Arm strength: (59)

Arm accuracy: (59)

Overall: (57)

http://www.redreporter.com/2015/3/2/813009...cincinnati-reds

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 07:40 AM)
Murphy has been a good hitter, and the playoffs probably will make him some money, but do you really want to pay a guy that much money for several years in his 30's who is probably the 2014 edition of Conor Gillaspie ?

Murphy's track record is a lot more extensive than Conor Gillaspie's, I don't think they're comparable at all. If the amounts being thrown around in this thread are true, though, he wouldn't be a smart pickup.

I'll pass on Frazier too. People are underestimating what it would take to get him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 07:05 AM)
Both of those guys are worth significantly more than Frazier.

I agree, but there are at least a dozen teams who would like to upgrade at 3B and there aren't very many options available. I'm just not sure that a package of "prospects that soxtalk posters don't really care about" is gonna do it if Frazier does become available. The Sox have to outbid every other team, not just make a trade that would appear "fair".

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
Murphy's track record is a lot more extensive than Conor Gillaspie's, I don't think they're comparable at all. If the amounts being thrown around in this thread are true, though, he wouldn't be a smart pickup.

I'll pass on Frazier too. People are underestimating what it would take to get him.

I'm not comparing them per se. Only the 2014 version of Gillaspie. Murphy is awful in the field. 14 homers is a career high. I could see a .730 OPS with awful defense pretty easily. If he were just average with the glove, it would be one thing, but he's known to be really bad.

With Billy Hamilton, not sure they'd even be interested in Micah, not to mention they are still committed to Phillips for at least one more year.

Throwing a bunch of names like Montas, Beck and Danish together won't accomplish much, either.

They'd ask for Fulmer or Anderson and pieces or someone like Eaton.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
I'm not ready to rule out Trayce as a regular, but completely ignoring his minor league track record and citing one outlier isn't going to convince me he is. If we're serious about competing next year, he should begin the season as our 4th OF and force his way into the lineup. And that could very well happen if LaRoche is retained as our DH. RF should be an area of focus this offseason as a potential spot for an impact bat.

Contending? To contend that Sox have to get better at catcher, third-base, shortstop, second base, left field, right field. So with all of those weak spots/holes, the guy who shine for six weeks, yet with all those holes, he is a bench player.

searching for stars, with so many holes is madness. Welcome to the Cincinnati Reds. Heroes galore in the outfield at third base and on the pitching staff. And a terrible team.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Add Cody Asche to the list. Read an article with the emergence of Franco at third and an outfield that keeps getting crowded, he could be an odd man out in Philly. 25, left-handed hitting 3B that could probably be bought low.

I live about 20 mins outside of philly so I've had the misfortune of watching a good amount of the Phillies....we don't want Asche as anything other than a utility guy. I don't ever see him being a legit major league hitter.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
I live about 20 mins outside of philly so I've had the misfortune of watching a good amount of the Phillies....we don't want Asche as anything other than a utility guy. I don't ever see him being a legit major league hitter.

Ah...well that takes care of that then. I just imagine we'll end up plugging 3B with a guy in a similar situation to him or signing Freese or that Korean 3B as to not giving up prospects or anyone from the rotation to fix 3B.

I will be a little upset if Saladino, Olt, Davidson, minor league signing/Beckham battle for the position in spring training after months of off-season baseball.

Edited by soxfan2014

Was just going through rosters and the free agent list and decided to share my thoughts on the most realistic options for the Sox to target this off season. Feel free to post more guys you would like to see us REALISTICALLY target, or just who you like the most out of my list.

I have been looking also. Dietrich is a guy I also found and think would work. May need to be platooned and don't have great info on his defense or makeup. Maybe with Ozuna in a expanded deal. Supposedly Marlins want pitching. Would Montas and Garcia +/- lower pitcher/or reliever get Dietrich and Ozuna?

PS Thank you for no Puig…..I think a head case who we could not handle.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
Oh I absolutely want Puig. This fanbase needs a flashy player. If nothing else to generate some interest. Plus he's a good player and we could use him.

I agree. He's young, not too expensive, talented as can be, and the Sox could market the crap out of him. He has his issues without a doubt, so some sort of support would need to be either there or created.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
I agree. He's young, not too expensive, talented as can be, and the Sox could market the crap out of him. He has his issues without a doubt, so some sort of support would need to be either there or created.

We have enough veterans where he'd be ok. He may also tame down here whereas LA is a side show.

They could maket the piss out of him. I could see a Q for Puig swap though I'd prefer a Montas package.

Puig could plug right into RF and provide the impact bat and base stealer we need. We have Cubans here too and he has history with Abreu (good or bad? I don't know the true story).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
With Billy Hamilton, not sure they'd even be interested in Micah, not to mention they are still committed to Phillips for at least one more year.

Throwing a bunch of names like Montas, Beck and Danish together won't accomplish much, either.

They'd ask for Fulmer or Anderson and pieces or someone like Eaton.

For Frazier? Hah, then tell them to pound sand. Moving Fulmer, Anderson or Eaton for Frazier would be a comically bad trade for the Sox. And I like Frazier.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
I have been looking also. Dietrich is a guy I also found and think would work. May need to be platooned and don't have great info on his defense or makeup. Maybe with Ozuna in a expanded deal. Supposedly Marlins want pitching. Would Montas and Garcia +/- lower pitcher/or reliever get Dietrich and Ozuna?

PS Thank you for no Puig…..I think a head case who we could not handle.

Some sort of Ozuna and Dietrich would definitely be a good start for us. And Avi and Montas might actually be too much in my opinion. I don't see the need to trade a top 55 prospect in baseball for either of those guys. Ozuna has had his own struggles at the major league level and seemed to fall out of favor in Miami, plus I'm not sure how much trade value Dietrich really has on his own. He's 26 and hasn't had a full MLB season yet. I would think Avi and Beck would be a good start to the deal with the 2nd prospect not needing to be nearly as good as Montas. Maybe Danish, but I would even try guys like Jacob May or Jordan Guerrero. Idk, maybe I'm overvaluing our players, but if we do involve Montas in our trade I hope its for a bigger package than Ozuna and Dietrich.

Adding Ozuna, Dietrich + a guy like Valencia would be a cheap efficient way to improve the lineup while still keeping our core prospects though. Would add a lot of versatility too, just questionable if it would be enough to get us over the hump and into the playoffs.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 05:23 AM)
Interesting. Tim Dierkes said they are. I'll take Law's word over Dierkes though.

Either of those guys would just be making guesses. If he's going to get $12, $13, $14 million a year for minimum 3 years, maybe 4. Reasonable to assume he'll take $35 - $40 million rather than $15.9.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
For Frazier? Hah, then tell them to pound sand. Moving Fulmer, Anderson or Eaton for Frazier would be a comically bad trade for the Sox. And I like Frazier.

Completely agree, I like Frazier, but he's not worth trading any of Q, Rodon, Fullmer, Anderson, or even Adams for. Montas would probably be the best prospect of ours I'd be willing to include. Montas, Hawkins, Michalczewski...I MIGHT include 2 of them + Beck and Micah/Avi(1 of them). Todd Frazier is not elite by any measure, he won't be cheap to get, but I don't see any team throwing multiple top 100 prospects around to get him either.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
Longoria? Would seem like a Sox sort of move.

Thought about him, but he still has a 6 year $100M extension that hasn't even stated yet. No thanks unless the Rays would eat a big chunk of $ and I don't see them as the type of team to do that.