STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
It's been three years and people are still clinging to this EU stuff? I promise you that Mara Jade will not be in this film.

Allusions to her. I know as won't get them exactly, but they said they might take elements. Like how Kylo Ren is basically Jacen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:09 AM)
I thought we were getting the Solo twins, for all intents and purposes we got Jacen Solo.

But Leia would have said something at that point, so I'm going with Luke's daughter.

Part of my theory is that they wanted to hide the fact that Leia and Han were her parents so that she wouldn't learn that Luke was her uncle and Darth Vader was her grandfather. It may push her to the life that could lead to an early death if she starts trying to become a Jedi/Sith. So I think they shielded that life from her by not letting her know.

I really dig Rey. She stole the show in my opinion. No idea who she was as an actress, but did a great job on screen. I also though Han's son was a good evil character and am curious to see how he expands on the evil in the next set. I had stayed away from absolutely everything in relation to this movie (so much so that I didn't even know the actual story line) and it made it so damn enjoyable.

While I was slightly disappointed in Kylo Ren I think it was more in the fact that they didn't really go into why he left for the dark side. I'm guessing that gets developed in the next movie or two and I'm really excited for that. Snoke just didn't seem that intimidating and the CGI for him was too much like LOTR.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
While I was slightly disappointed in Kylo Ren I think it was more in the fact that they didn't really go into why he left for the dark side. I'm guessing that gets developed in the next movie or two and I'm really excited for that. Snoke just didn't seem that intimidating and the CGI for him was too much like LOTR.

I think they are going to do a lot in terms of Kylo and presumably more info in terms of Rey as well and her development. Really just such an awesome movie.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)
I think they are going to do a lot in terms of Kylo and presumably more info in terms of Rey as well and her development. Really just such an awesome movie.

I was surprised by how much comedy was in it. Also, BB8 was way more fun/likeable then I expected, I thought there was a small chance it would be Jar Jar Binks'd, but it was done really well.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
I was surprised by how much comedy was in it. Also, BB8 was way more fun/likeable then I expected, I thought there was a small chance it would be Jar Jar Binks'd, but it was done really well.

The best part in my mind, is this set up very nicely for the next movies (and in and of itself it was badass too). Was the perfect re-entry into Star Wars and it totally felt like the original trilogy which is a true compliment. Chewy and Hans had great moments too and I was glad when Hans was killed off because I think to really make it great, they have to move on from some of the main old characters. That said, Harrison is the best actor of the old characters by far.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 01:07 AM)
While Kylo Ren is a very interesting character, the other villains left a bit to be desired. Captain Phamsa in particular was a total let-down. Plenty of time to flesh these characters out in the sequels, but probably my biggest gripe with the movie.

i just got back. the movie was better than i thought it would be, i wasn't on planning to see, but a friend wanted to see it. the theater was jam packed. that lady in the movie, to put it mildly, she is hot!!!!! and she can act. i too was let down on the villain. i was expecting to see more of the sith kinda of villian. i was not surprise at hans dying and luke looks like he lost mega weight for this ....

i really thought they could have used a couple more new characters and do more of a expanded journey, pretty much like the LOTR. oh well.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
Yeah, but for all intents and purposes he's Jacen.

I wonder if we'll get a flashback to Mara Jade as Rey's mother - it'd explain both why Luke vanished and why Rey is even more powerful.

Also HAN WHY DID YOU GO ON THE f***ING BRIDGE.

I believe her mother is named Bey a pilot from red squadron.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)
The best part in my mind, is this set up very nicely for the next movies (and in and of itself it was badass too). Was the perfect re-entry into Star Wars and it totally felt like the original trilogy which is a true compliment. Chewy and Hans had great moments too and I was glad when Hans was killed off because I think to really make it great, they have to move on from some of the main old characters. That said, Harrison is the best actor of the old characters by far.

I wasn't completely surprised they killed off one of the main 3 from the original trilogy as it is a Star Wars tradition to kill off a main character in the first movie of a trilogy (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and now Han). I just wasn't sure if they were going to have the balls to do it but it was a great scene and it really makes you feel like any of the characters can bite the dust at any moment.

Solid B.

Easily better than any of the prequels, but I have my gripes.

- let's ditch the Death Star / Death Planet idea. Oh no! It's 10X the size!!!... And defeated easier than any Death Star before

- she needs no training to become an elite Jedi standing toe to toe with Kylo Ren

- Kylo Ren demasked was laughable. Nerd alert!

Ok got the obvious out of the way. It was still awesome. They did an amazing job of bringing the old films back with upgraded visuals. I both get and don't get the need to kill Han Solo. I could've watched another 20 hours of this and didn't want it to end. That's obviously good.

I almost feel like there was too much passing of the guard. Are we done with R2? I hope not.

I felt too much emotion most of the evening so I'll let it ruminate. The death planet's ease of defeat was a problem, though. Oh and the big bad CGI lording over Ren and his buddy was kinda lame. They honestly shouldn't have removed Ren's mask.

I will be interested to see why the opportunity for Ren to go to the Dark Side was even a thing. He had mom and dad. Maybe Han took away his PlayStation 22?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
Solid B.

Easily better than any of the prequels, but I have my gripes.

- let's ditch the Death Star / Death Planet idea. Oh no! It's 10X the size!!!... And defeated easier than any Death Star before

- she needs no training to become an elite Jedi standing toe to toe with Kylo Ren

- Kylo Ren demasked was laughable. Nerd alert!

Ok got the obvious out of the way. It was still awesome. They did an amazing job of bringing the old films back with upgraded visuals. I both get and don't get the need to kill Han Solo. I could've watched another 20 hours of this and didn't want it to end. That's obviously good.

I almost feel like there was too much passing of the guard. Are we done with R2? I hope not.

I felt too much emotion most of the evening so I'll let it ruminate. The death planet's ease of defeat was a problem, though. Oh and the big bad CGI lording over Ren and his buddy was kinda lame. They honestly shouldn't have removed Ren's mask.

I will be interested to see why the opportunity for Ren to go to the Dark Side was even a thing. He had mom and dad. Maybe Han took away his PlayStation 22?

i agree and they were able to get to the planet quickly... no momentum, no build up. that was where i kinda of drew the line and chuckle. as i said it was better than i expected it. i think it could have been a lot better.

yeah, i had major problems with not only rey but fin in both picking up the light saber and are really proficient with it, without training. i am remember Luke when he first got it, really clumsy with it.

last one, it was disappointing on the taking of the mask.... i would have like it maybe in the second movie. now there is no unknown suspense on why the mask and the story of why the mask.

but as i said, i enjoyed the movie, i nice start to a group of the next set of movies.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
Part of my theory is that they wanted to hide the fact that Leia and Han were her parents so that she wouldn't learn that Luke was her uncle and Darth Vader was her grandfather. It may push her to the life that could lead to an early death if she starts trying to become a Jedi/Sith. So I think they shielded that life from her by not letting her know.

They wanted to keep their kids in the datk about the force so they abandoned one on a crap planet...and had the other trained by Luke? Neither one of those choices makes sense.

Movie was fantastic. My one big complaint was that it didn't set up the big picture stuff very well.

Can anyone explain the state of the galaxy post Battle of Endor? I thought there was an implication that the Emperor's death was the end of the empire or at least would scatter the remaining forces in a way that would make the New Republic the dominant faction. But here, it looks like Snoke just stepped in and its practically the status quo including easily building a new super duper death star. There's a Senate operating but it doesn't do anything. The rebels are stilll the rebels, hiding, and their entire "fleet" is like 20 XWings?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
Movie was fantastic. My one big complaint was that it didn't set up the big picture stuff very well.

Can anyone explain the state of the galaxy post Battle of Endor? I thought there was an implication that the Emperor's death was the end of the empire or at least would scatter the remaining forces in a way that would make the New Republic the dominant faction. But here, it looks like Snoke just stepped in and its practically the status quo including easily building a new super duper death star. There's a Senate operating but it doesn't do anything. The rebels are stilll the rebels, hiding, and their entire "fleet" is like 20 XWings?

i don't know the whole plot or story, esp with all that happen afterward. but for me, i got the sense of the uncertainty of how it would be received and how to make money on it without loosing the appeal, esp to the younger crowd.

so they took short cuts. it wasn't until after i watched the movie did i come on this particular thread to figure out those missing pieces. everything was spelled out here with the posters that it kinda filled in the blanks for me.

now the appeal, that was great. as i was leaving the theater, i was hear little children for a light saber toy from Santa. i just smiled at the typical response of the parents. i was really nice. to see but to hear this nice exchange.