STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 05:24 PM)
Another thing I liked was that even though some of the characters were recycled, they were allowed to age (badly in most cases) and put on weight. That never happens in movies, but always in real life.

excellent point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
Another thing I liked was that even though some of the characters were recycled, they were allowed to age (badly in most cases) and put on weight. That never happens in movies, but always in real life.

Hamill lost a ton of weight for the role fyi.

The demasking of Kylo Ren was great. Yes, it humanized him and made him look incredibly weaker, but that was the point. Dude was supposed to be a two-bit, wannabe version of Vader and that proved to be true. Now he goes for more training and we'll see from there.

Didn't have a problem with Ray beating him since he took a blast from the most powerful hand blaster we've seen in Star Wars plus a few lightsaber hits at that point. He basically shouldn't have been alive by then. Makes more sense when you consider she likely had some sword training from Luke before.

What I did have a problem was with was Finn holding his own vs him. Not force sensitive, no sword training and was mostly used for comic relief. Dude was this movie's version of Jar Jar Binks so that seemed out of place, even with Ren so injured.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
The demasking of Kylo Ren was great. Yes, it humanized him and made him look incredibly weaker, but that was the point. Dude was supposed to be a two-bit, wannabe version of Vader and that proved to be true. Now he goes for more training and we'll see from there.

Didn't have a problem with Ray beating him since he took a blast from the most powerful hand blaster we've seen in Star Wars plus a few lightsaber hits at that point. He basically shouldn't have been alive by then. Makes more sense when you consider she likely had some sword training from Luke before.

What I did have a problem was with was Finn holding his own vs him. Not force sensitive, no sword training and was mostly used for comic relief. Dude was this movie's version of Jar Jar Binks so that seemed out of place, even with Ren so injured.

Uh no. Just no.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
He was still probably 20-30 lbs over his original Star Wars weight.

Yea I wasn't really disagreeing with the normal look, they nailed that pretty well. Was just pointing out that he definitely lost weight to prep for the role.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
Makes more sense when you consider she likely had some sword training from Luke before.

But she didn't even know he was real?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
Daisy Ridley loks like a mix of Kiera Knightley and Jorja Fox from CSI Las Vegas.

Do the name drops ever end!?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
Definitely. Well I mean jar jar was horribly written, but aside from that. Dude is there for comic relief.

Completely disagree. He's more the Han Solo of the new trilogy there to point out how insane this all is. I couldn't disagree with you more.

I had great fun. It looked beautiful.

But aside from Steves complaints...

That last 15 minutes was some serious crap writing. I hated the daytime soap style cliff hanger, I'd rather they never got to Luke.

The perspective added of storm troopers not being faceless henchmen added a lot, but Abrams with two franchises now has added basically zero to the world building of the franchise. We saw x number of planets and none are presented in a way that adds any interest in how this galaxy works. It's just scenery. I hope that changes in the next few.

Overall, I just can't stand how they took so many easy outs on the script.

I've heard a theory of Rei being one of the kids that Luke was training along with Kylo, then Luke saved her from Kylo possibly killing all his "classmates" by having her exiled to Jakku and had her mind wiped. She began to have flashbacks of memories she didn't realize she had when she touched the lightsaber again, and the force "awakened" in her. So I'll go ahead and tie that theory in to mine about her being Han's daughter. I just refuse to believe they would be SO heavy-handed about her being Luke's daughter. HAS to be misdirection.

I don't understand the outrage about Kylo taking off his mask at all, or taking it off too early. Who the f*** cares? The point was that he so desperately wants to be Vader, but he sucks at it and he can't hold his emotions in. He throws tantrums like he is an emotionally unstable brat. We weren't supposed to be fearful of him so much as we were supposed to recognize how flawed he was and how much of an identity crises he is going through. We saw it with his conversation with Han, we saw it when he questioned his true feelings towards being pulled to the light side, we saw it when Snoke embarrassed him by saying he needs more training. We saw it when the Storm troopers hilariously walked away when they saw him throwing another tantrum. He wasn't supposed to be a badass villain (yet).

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:37 PM)
I really hope rei is not related to Luke or leia. Just let her be an anomaly. That the force is some hereditary gene would be lame as hell. Grow the world.

I was just saying that to my roommate today, stop revolving it around one family. I get that it adds emotion for the characters but there's other ways to do that.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:41 PM)
Good movie.

Did anyone else feel like they were watching Wall-E during some of those BB-8 scenes?

Nope. Not one single bit. Not even in the slightest. Not even for a quarter of a second. Not even a thought.

But maybe that's because I've never seen Wall-E. ;)

“You do hear a little bit of Yoda. You hear Luke yelling out, ‘Nooo!’ from that moment in Empire. And you hear Obi-Wan at the end say, ‘Rey … these are your first steps,’” Abrams says. “Here’s the cool part. We asked Ewan McGregor to come in and do the line. And he was awesome and we were very grateful. He was incredibly sweet and handsome, and all that stuff. Then he rode off on his motorcycle. Literally the coolest voice over actor ever.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-ab...s-force-awakens

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
While Kylo Ren is a very interesting character, the other villains left a bit to be desired. Captain Phamsa in particular was a total let-down. Plenty of time to flesh these characters out in the sequels, but probably my biggest gripe with the movie.

I really hope Captain Phamsa comes back in E8, otherwise it was a completely waisted character. THey gave the character a unique suit, hired Gwendoline Christie (who never showed her face), then used it as a background part and one "minor" scene. There has to be more coming with that character.