STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

QUOTE (HuskyCaucasian @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
I really hope Captain Phamsa comes back in E8, otherwise it was a completely waisted character. THey gave the character a unique suit, hired Gwendoline Christie (who never showed her face), then used it as a background part and one "minor" scene. There has to be more coming with that character.

Yeah, it's been confirmed.

Also Benicio del Toro as a villain? SPECULATE!

And for Kylo Ren taking off his mask - Kylo Ren was basically everything Anakin was supposed to be in the prequels. Powerful, confused, torn between good and bad. Had no issues with removing the mask

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
Absolutely not, he's more of a Han Solo replacement than anything.

He's absolutely nothing like Han, other than screen time. You need to rewatch the originals if you honestly think that. Han had incredible screen presence from the start with extreme overconfidence and ability to talk himself out of anything. He thinks he's the galaxy's hottest thing due to the Millennium Falcon whereas Finn can't fly a thing. Finn is the opposite. He screws up A LOT through out. Then at the end his big reveal is he worked in sanitation, totally inserted in there to make a joke yet again.

As people have said, this episode was a lot funnier then anyone expected. That's almost all due to Finn.

He's a great character. Not saying he's not, hes there for comic relief. I'm sure his story will progress further (not unlike how Jar Jar was originally written until the extreme negativity towards him) so he won't be a joke, but for now that's what he is.

Poe is closest to Han. Cool, fast talking and the best pilot around. Ultimately they're all their own characters who aren't gonna fit in directly to the saga's archtype.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
The demasking of Kylo Ren was great. Yes, it humanized him and made him look incredibly weaker, but that was the point. Dude was supposed to be a two-bit, wannabe version of Vader and that proved to be true. Now he goes for more training and we'll see from there.

Didn't have a problem with Ray beating him since he took a blast from the most powerful hand blaster we've seen in Star Wars plus a few lightsaber hits at that point. He basically shouldn't have been alive by then. Makes more sense when you consider she likely had some sword training from Luke before.

What I did have a problem was with was Finn holding his own vs him. Not force sensitive, no sword training and was mostly used for comic relief. Dude was this movie's version of Jar Jar Binks so that seemed out of place, even with Ren so injured.

You say Finn isn't force sensitive and had no sword training yet you're cool with Rey handling a lightsaber like a pro because you assume Luke trained her when she was 6 years old? You're making an awful lot of assumptions here, we know next to nothing about these characters. Finn could easily be force sensitive or have sword training, we see him go toe to toe with another stormtrooper in melee combat, why assume that Finn, over the course of the past 15 years hasn't undergone any melee combat training?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:27 PM)
I've heard a theory of Rei being one of the kids that Luke was training along with Kylo, then Luke saved her from Kylo possibly killing all his "classmates" by having her exiled to Jakku and had her mind wiped. She began to have flashbacks of memories she didn't realize she had when she touched the lightsaber again, and the force "awakened" in her. So I'll go ahead and tie that theory in to mine about her being Han's daughter. I just refuse to believe they would be SO heavy-handed about her being Luke's daughter. HAS to be misdirection.

I don't understand the outrage about Kylo taking off his mask at all, or taking it off too early. Who the f*** cares? The point was that he so desperately wants to be Vader, but he sucks at it and he can't hold his emotions in. He throws tantrums like he is an emotionally unstable brat. We weren't supposed to be fearful of him so much as we were supposed to recognize how flawed he was and how much of an identity crises he is going through. We saw it with his conversation with Han, we saw it when he questioned his true feelings towards being pulled to the light side, we saw it when Snoke embarrassed him by saying he needs more training. We saw it when the Storm troopers hilariously walked away when they saw him throwing another tantrum. He wasn't supposed to be a badass villain (yet).

This is the right take on Kylo Ren. I thought he was great, not every villain has to be an invincible robotic killing machine, and Ren's instability served to make him more frightening anyway, because you weren't quite sure what he'd do. Like the cold-blooded murder of Han.

And someone remarked that Ren could barely fight off Finn, but he'd been shot by Chewy and actually took Finn out with ease.

Snoke, OTOH, was pretty dumb. Look, a 40-foot-tall hologram with a messed-up face. I almost laughed when they revealed him.

I don't think Rey is Luke's daughter, it's just too obvious. Unless we're supposed to think it's so obvious that it throws us off the scent that way, and she's Luke's daughter.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
You say Finn isn't force sensitive and had no sword training yet you're cool with Rey handling a lightsaber like a pro because you assume Luke trained her when she was 6 years old? You're making an awful lot of assumptions here, we know next to nothing about these characters. Finn could easily be force sensitive or have sword training, we see him go toe to toe with another stormtrooper in melee combat, why assume that Finn, over the course of the past 15 years hasn't undergone any melee combat training?

I'm definitely making assumptions. It's fun to speculate. It seems obvious Rae has some sort of connection to Luke. Her family or someone left her. It wasn't just some one line throwaway backstory but instead is made a big deal throughout the film. That certainly seems like they're going to address it down the line, no? The only thing that makes any remote sense to me is it Luke, but as the above said, it's almost too obvious. If she is part of that bloodline

I'm okay with it. That would make her one of the strongest force users ever. I have an easier time believing she could fend off another (severely injured) strong force user, even with limited training. She also carried around a melee weapon. That was obviously intentional, to show she had some sort of melee skill. To what extent, we're left in the dark.

As for finn, it was a comment he made at the Battle of Takodana that lead me to believe he didn't have much melee training. I'd have to go back and watch it again though. Regardless, one thing we know is that storm troopers are absolute jokes when in comparison to force users. I didn't see any hint Finn himself was force sensitive so I'm assuming he's not. Well see I guess.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
This is the right take on Kylo Ren. I thought he was great, not every villain has to be an invincible robotic killing machine, and Ren's instability served to make him more frightening anyway, because you weren't quite sure what he'd do. Like the cold-blooded murder of Han.

And someone remarked that Ren could barely fight off Finn, but he'd been shot by Chewy and actually took Finn out with ease.

Snoke, OTOH, was pretty dumb. Look, a 40-foot-tall hologram with a messed-up face. I almost laughed when they revealed him.

I don't think Rey is Luke's daughter, it's just too obvious. Unless we're supposed to think it's so obvious that it throws us off the scent that way, and she's Luke's daughter.

Yeah the demasking was great. If he's another emotionless killing robot, Han goes out there to approach him and just looks like an idiot. He dies, well what did you expect? Instead seeing his face helps give him some humanity. It creates just enough doubt that maybe he will join up with his dad. Makes Hans death all the more shocking.

As for Kylo being serverly injured, I did acknowledge that. There's a really out of place scene where Han basically says, hey chewie, your blaster looks cool, let me try it. And he uses it to show off its power. Really served no purpose until Han dies and Chewie shoots Kylo with the same extremely powerful blaster. So you are supposed to get just how injured he is. I get that. I would have just left it up to Rey and Rey alone to save the day. I think Finn put up a better fight then you give him credit for.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 11:05 PM)
I believe her mother is named Bey a pilot from red squadron.

Dang it. I had it wrong. Bey the rebel pilot was Poe Dameron s mother. Never mind the theory..

Edited by ptatc

I wasn't super excited to see this - probably a result of hating much of the prequels.

My 11 year old wanted to see it, so we went today. Most shows were sold out except for the first row, so we sat there.

I have to say, I thought it as great. On par with Eps IV and V.

I understand some of the complaints here, but the one great thing is that it doesn't have the Lucas influenced cheesiness or over reliance on special effects. Just a simple story. Normal dialogue - not the stilted crap from the prequels. A nice recovery for the franchise.

Oh, and I think I ate my weight in popcorn today.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)

Plus, if Kylo Ren kept his mask on we don't get the heart-breaking and gut wrenching moment where Han dies lovingly caressing his son's face. trying to appeal to his humanity in one last moment before he died.

Snoke, yeah, not a fan of Snoke's look. Or the name Snoke.

Probably will post more later but saw it last night at 1am Imax 3d. 3d can still sometimes be awkward. Some scenes it seems forced, they would almost be better off not forcing it, but just my opinion.

As for the movie. Im pretty shocked that no one else has mentioned how much of an homage this is to episode 4. Luke is in the desert, droid with an important message ends up there, Luke runs into droid begin saga. I could go on and on with how much the movies parallel each other. Honestly George Lucas could have never gotten away with it.

That being said, I thought it was great and Im glad about a lot of things. Clearly they took a long look at the books, but glad they didnt copy them because then there would be no surprise.

In the book, they imply Finn uses the force unintentionally in a few instances.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 11:18 PM)
Probably will post more later but saw it last night at 1am Imax 3d. 3d can still sometimes be awkward. Some scenes it seems forced, they would almost be better off not forcing it, but just my opinion.

As for the movie. Im pretty shocked that no one else has mentioned how much of an homage this is to episode 4. Luke is in the desert, droid with an important message ends up there, Luke runs into droid begin saga. I could go on and on with how much the movies parallel each other. Honestly George Lucas could have never gotten away with it.

That being said, I thought it was great and Im glad about a lot of things. Clearly they took a long look at the books, but glad they didnt copy them because then there would be no surprise.

The movie essentially was just a New Hope remake, but I think that's just to reset the viewers to the original trilogy and get them to forget the new 3 existed. Now I'm not one of those who denounces Episodes 1-3, I found entertainment value in them all, but I understand the idea of making a movie that was so much like the original 3 that people will assume it will be that way going forward.

That being said, I don't think episode 8 will remake Empire, I think they will now branch off and make their own adventures and storylines now that they brought everyone back on track.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
The movie essentially was just a New Hope remake, but I think that's just to reset the viewers to the original trilogy and get them to forget the new 3 existed. Now I'm not one of those who denounces Episodes 1-3, I found entertainment value in them all, but I understand the idea of making a movie that was so much like the original 3 that people will assume it will be that way going forward.

That being said, I don't think episode 8 will remake Empire, I think they will now branch off and make their own adventures and storylines now that they brought everyone back on track.

i sure hope so.

You are aware that nobody handled the light saber like a pro on purpose right? None of the three were fully trained on the light saber including Ren. That was the whole point.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 11:18 PM)

It's almost a remake of episode 4. It was pretty good but didn't blow me away.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
It's almost a remake of episode 4. It was pretty good but didn't blow me away.

Yeah, it seems like if we don't come in here and heap praise upon the film it means we aren't fans or didn't like the movie. I geeked out. I loved it. But it was a solid B due to a few flaws. Perhaps over time those flaws will be answered (save of course ANOTHER death star that's bigger and badder going down easier).

I look forward to torrenting it and watching a few more times before the bluray release.

It was pretty freakin great. Only disappointment was I thought the villains were a bit weak, didn't hold a candle to the intimidation that Vader and the Emperor had. The dialogue in this movie may have been the best in the entire series.

I really liked Kylo Ren. Also, I don't think he was intended to be able to hold a candle to Vader.

Ha, I didn't even look at the new thread title.

So Rey has to be Luke's daughter right? It was highly implied throughout the movie and it would setup another Skywalker v. Skywalker showdown.

Now everybody is expecting Rey to be Luke's daughter, so I think that's the plot twist in the next movie that she isn't.

Plus, it's against the Jedi code to have relationships--it's what lead to Vader becoming Vader so I don't buy that Luke has a kid.

I'm betting that Rey is Leia's daughter.

Solid B.

Easily better than any of the prequels, but I have my gripes.

- let's ditch the Death Star / Death Planet idea. Oh no! It's 10X the size!!!... And defeated easier than any Death Star before

- she needs no training to become an elite Jedi standing toe to toe with Kylo Ren

- Kylo Ren demasked was laughable. Nerd alert!

Ok got the obvious out of the way. It was still awesome. They did an amazing job of bringing the old films back with upgraded visuals. I both get and don't get the need to kill Han Solo. I could've watched another 20 hours of this and didn't want it to end. That's obviously good.

I almost feel like there was too much passing of the guard. Are we done with R2? I hope not.

I felt too much emotion most of the evening so I'll let it ruminate. The death planet's ease of defeat was a problem, though. Oh and the big bad CGI lording over Ren and his buddy was kinda lame. They honestly shouldn't have removed Ren's mask.

I will be interested to see why the opportunity for Ren to go to the Dark Side was even a thing. He had mom and dad. Maybe Han took away his PlayStation 22?

Didn't you hear Han: "Let's blow it up. There's always a way to blow it up."

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
Yeah the demasking was great. If he's another emotionless killing robot, Han goes out there to approach him and just looks like an idiot. He dies, well what did you expect? Instead seeing his face helps give him some humanity. It creates just enough doubt that maybe he will join up with his dad. Makes Hans death all the more shocking.

As for Kylo being serverly injured, I did acknowledge that. There's a really out of place scene where Han basically says, hey chewie, your blaster looks cool, let me try it. And he uses it to show off its power. Really served no purpose until Han dies and Chewie shoots Kylo with the same extremely powerful blaster. So you are supposed to get just how injured he is. I get that. I would have just left it up to Rey and Rey alone to save the day. I think Finn put up a better fight then you give him credit for.

First bold: You did, sorry. I missed it. I had just gotten home from seeing the movie and this thread had been taunting me, so I probably read through too quick. :)

Second bold: Would have to watch it again, but from what I remember there were a couple token saber clashes, Ren scalded Finn's shoulder, a couple more clashes, and then Ren finishes the job. Seemed to last like forty seconds.

Which, to your point, is still probably longer than it should have lasted. I was always under the impression that if you don't have Force attunement and you pick up a lightsaber, you're lucky if you don't maim yourself. Maybe somebody better clued in can correct me on that. And perhaps Finn has the Force, but that seems doubtful.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
I loved that Kylo Ren was not some unstoppable pure dark villain. He is like Anakin and Luke, but from the other side. Instead of turning to the dark side, they worry about him going to the light. Which I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

there have been sooo many great insights to the movie, i am able to piece alot together,

but this post explain the best logic on Ren to me.