STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 07:34 AM)
Yeah, it seems like if we don't come in here and heap praise upon the film it means we aren't fans or didn't like the movie. I geeked out. I loved it. But it was a solid B due to a few flaws. Perhaps over time those flaws will be answered (save of course ANOTHER death star that's bigger and badder going down easier).

I look forward to torrenting it and watching a few more times before the bluray release.

Yes.

I had lots of fun, lots of moments of giddiness. But I left the theater really pissed about last scene, hated that blatant serialization trope, and the pacing was just not good. It's amazing how little actual story happened in this movie in 2.5 hrs. We essentially know nobodies motivations beside Finn, unless you've seen previous movies.

It's just classic JJ Abrams problems. He's capable of incredible highs but he has never made a full movie.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
Yes.

I had lots of fun, lots of moments of giddiness. But I left the theater really pissed about last scene, hated that blatant serialization trope, and the pacing was just not good. It's amazing how little actual story happened in this movie in 2.5 hrs. We essentially know nobodies motivations beside Finn, unless you've seen previous movies.

It's just classic JJ Abrams problems. He's capable of incredible highs but he has never made a full movie.

Basically what he did was try to erase the CGI bulls*** of the last 3 and go back to the gritty model/location based filming of 4-6 while basically repeating episode 4 as a nod to the original series and passing the baton. Nothing else really happened. They passed the baton in every single way and now we get to see Luke train the next him. It was a good and entertaining movie, but I was really hoping for a new plot or danger. I am hoping the next one is when we are exposed to something we havent seen before since he felt the need to basically make us forget about Epi 1-3.

I also could have done without the lady behind me clapping whenever an old character showed up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
Basically what he did was try to erase the CGI bulls*** of the last 3 and go back to the gritty model/location based filming of 4-6 while basically repeating episode 4 as a nod to the original series and passing the baton. Nothing else really happened. They passed the baton in every single way and now we get to see Luke train the next him. It was a good and entertaining movie, but I was really hoping for a new plot or danger. I am hoping the next one is when we are exposed to something we havent seen before since he felt the need to basically make us forget about Epi 1-3.

I also could have done without the lady behind me clapping whenever an old character showed up.

LOL in my showing, the guy behind me was very excited to see that the island Luke was on was Ireland. He was "very sure it was Ireland, dude I've been to Ireland, well I haven't been right there, but that's Ireland I've been to Ireland. Dude that's so Ireland!"

STFU man.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)

With the original trilogy, you really lived in the new planets, learned them like a new character. This hopped around too much, it was just scenery. Same issue with star trek. I don't feel like the Star Wars world has expanded. But yes, he basically cleansed the palette. And it certainly looked beautiful, the action was fantastic. The ty fighter - falcon chase was top notch entertainment.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
With the original trilogy, you really lived in the new planets, learned them like a new character. This hopped around too much, it was just scenery. Same issue with star trek. I don't feel like the Star Wars world has expanded. But yes, he basically cleansed the palette. And it certainly looked beautiful, the action was fantastic. The ty fighter - falcon chase was top notch entertainment.

A very solid B.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)

The first longshot of the Resistance X-Wings coming across the water, followed by the shot that Steve is now using as his signature. Oh my god. I thoroughly nerded out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
Yep.

I would be interested to know how this movie landed for someone that did not see any previous movies.

I'm sure it was similar to how much I enjoyed Abrams' Star Trek. Good popcorn flick, no chills.

For me, watching this Star Wars film yielded plenty of chills, plenty of OMG moments, and just a few "wtf" moments. It was very well done.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
Yep.

I would be interested to know how this movie landed for someone that did not see any previous movies.

Don't know anybody like that, but I made my wife watch Episode IV the night prior, she hadn't seen any of them til then but she knew some of the unavoidable plot beats like the Skywalker family tree. She thought it was too slow to build up but ultimately didn't mind the movie.

She really liked FA. She loved the three new main characters, she appreciated how funny it was, thought the action was engrossing, and thankfully most of the callbacks to the original trilogy referenced New Hope so she could appreciate it on that level too. So somebody with very little Star Wars background and absolutely no nostalgia found FA considerably better.

And she found BB8 adorable, which is a fact.

Edited by shysocks

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
I think it's hard to criticize much until we see the next 2. Some people don't like that Ren wasn't that powerful but he probably will be in ep 8 and more so in ep 9.

Yep, and the complaint about Snoke not having enough backstory is also a little odd to me since the Emperor was only mentioned in passing in Episode IV, appears only as a hologram in Episode V and isn't really fleshed out until Episode VI.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
I think it's hard to criticize much until we see the next 2. Some people don't like that Ren wasn't that powerful but he probably will be in ep 8 and more so in ep 9.

I think the bigger issue was that Rei was so powerful without a moment's training.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 07:03 AM)
Movie was fantastic. My one big complaint was that it didn't set up the big picture stuff very well.

Can anyone explain the state of the galaxy post Battle of Endor? I thought there was an implication that the Emperor's death was the end of the empire or at least would scatter the remaining forces in a way that would make the New Republic the dominant faction. But here, it looks like Snoke just stepped in and its practically the status quo including easily building a new super duper death star. There's a Senate operating but it doesn't do anything. The rebels are stilll the rebels, hiding, and their entire "fleet" is like 20 XWings?

I wonder if at some point they won't have a separate star wars movie to cover the gaps. I figure Disney is going to figure out ways to explain the rest of the universe and significant gaps. Monetize as much as possible (and as a Disney shareholder and a Starwars fan...I'm all for it).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
I think the bigger issue was that Rei was so powerful without a moment's training.

A little but Luke with basically no training was able to deflect shots from a remote, hit an incredibly small target with proton torpedoes without using any computer to aim and he also was able to grab his lightsaber using the force. And Rey not allowing Ren to read or control her mind is impressive but there have been non-force sensitive characters like Jabba who didn't allow mind control to work on them as well. I'm sure we will learn more of her backstory in the next movie as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
I wonder if at some point they won't have a separate star wars movie to cover the gaps. I figure Disney is going to figure out ways to explain the rest of the universe and significant gaps. Monetize as much as possible (and as a Disney shareholder and a Starwars fan...I'm all for it).

I hope not. I want spinoffs to focus on new characters and time periods (and Disney is already developing spinoffs). And while some interesting stuff appears to have happened between Episode VI and VII, I'm not a fan of prequels as a concept because you already know how the story ends (Rogue One is an exception for me because it sounds awesome and we will at least have almost all new characters).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)

i sat close to the front so i didn't have to hear all that, but i heard the kids in the theater.... that was nice to me. it made me enjoy it more.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)

so they didn't make the 2nd one yet.... ok i am glad, b/c now, i hope they really get to expand on it. if done right, it can go for 3 or 4 more movies.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:20 AM)

Rey isnt developed enough to know for sure that she hasnt received *any* training. It's possible Rey was trained at a very early age. That being said they are clearly setting her up to be a powerful force user.

On the other hand I think they are also trying to show that Kylo is not fully developed. He is not a Darth. My guess is that in the next episode he will become one. But I think that as of now Kylo would be the weakest dark force user in any of the Episodes.

Edited by Soxbadger

Film reportedly had 45 cut minutes. I think it definitely needed another 10, but it was still good. Sure we'll see the extended edition in 5 years.

@LDF, episode 8 comes out in spring 2017. They're filming now. The first spin off movie comes out next Winter, Rogue One. Then in 2018 another spinoff, Young Han Solo. Then in 2019, episode 9. Then in 2020, a Boba Fett spinoff. Be prepared for Star Wars overload.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 12:18 AM)
As for the movie. Im pretty shocked that no one else has mentioned how much of an homage this is to episode 4. Luke is in the desert, droid with an important message ends up there, Luke runs into droid begin saga. I could go on and on with how much the movies parallel each other. Honestly George Lucas could have never gotten away with it.

This was my first thought when I was walking out of the theater as well. It was fun and all, but it honestly just felt like a slightly different "A New Hope". The entire story is basically the exact same thing.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
Rey isnt developed enough to know for sure that she hasnt received *any* training. It's possible Rey was trained at a very early age. That being said they are clearly setting her up to be a powerful force user.

On the other hand I think they are also trying to show that Kylo is not fully developed. He is not a Darth. My guess is that in the next episode he will become one. But I think that as of now Kylo would be the weakest dark force user in any of the Episodes.

I think there's a lot more to the flashbacks she had. They had to be in there for a reason. I've read some good to ridiculous theories on them. Such as it was her who killed everyone in Luke's school, not Kylo. Kylo seems to know who she is, so it makes some sense. Kylo isn't all powerful himself, so how he couldn't take on a jedi school alone. But I can't see them making the first major female jedi into a killer herself.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
Film reportedly had 45 cut minutes. I think it definitely needed another 10, but it was still good. Sure we'll see the extended edition in 5 years.

@LDF, episode 8 comes out in spring 2017. They're filming now. The first spin off movie comes out next Winter, Rogue One. Then in 2018 another spinoff, Young Han Solo. Then in 2019, episode 9. Then in 2020, a Boba Fett spinoff. Be prepared for Star Wars overload.

I think the Boba Fett spinoff might be delayed since they fired Trank. I hope after this initial set of spinoffs they try going for totally original stories set in very different time periods. We don't need every Star Wars movie to be set within a 100 year time period.

With how forgettable marvel movies have become (like, I literally don't remember I saw them 2 weeks later) i'm a bit nervous how watered down SW will be.

Re: Finn - I liked his awkwardness at the beginning and one-track mind. Remember this is probably the first time he's ever interacted as a human. I wish he had family flashbacks, and I wish if the empire is run by kidnapping kids, they should have made a point to take the kids in the opening scene.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
A little but Luke with basically no training was able to deflect shots from a remote, hit an incredibly small target with proton torpedoes without using any computer to aim and he also was able to grab his lightsaber using the force. And Rey not allowing Ren to read or control her mind is impressive but there have been non-force sensitive characters like Jabba who didn't allow mind control to work on them as well. I'm sure we will learn more of her backstory in the next movie as well.

She also controlled a storm trooper's mind.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)

The whole point was that he was kind of trained but not fully what he could be, thats why his temper tantrums and horrible saber work existed. I also think Rei was trained as a child with Luke but they erased her mind.