Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
Good call. lefty bat too. It's not crazy. Something is holding up everything and it might actually be (in part) us. With this chasing Gordon thing (also a lefty bat)

Sox have no ammo left for another big trade. They got nothing left in the minors close to ML ready and the high upside guys left down there are guys the Sox want to keep. They would create another hole trading from the 25 man roster. They have to keep Anderson because he is the heir apparent at SS. Have to keep Fulmer because Danks probably goes bye -bye after this year. Have to keep Quintana unless they get the " small army" they've been looking for and there's no depth with Montas gone.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
Interesting seeing the Orioles tied to Upton after Jesse Sanchez reported White Sox and Orioles were favorites.

Sanchez reported Sox and Orioles were favorites for Yo. The Sox need Davis to stop screwing around and take the Orioles money.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 2h2 hours ago

Kinda obvious, but was just told "this is great for the Sox and Yo"... If Baltimore nuts up for Davis even better

you got the tigers and angels and mystery team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 2h2 hours ago

Kinda obvious, but was just told "this is great for the Sox and Yo"... If Baltimore nuts up for Davis even better

Wasnt this the guy who said Cespedes signed a week ago?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
Where you at Bucket? rabbit? Feed the masses

I don't understand the desire for inside info. Plenty of people on Soxtalk have analyzed the situation perfectly. Gordon would end up being the cheapest and most signable for lesser years. Common sense would tell you he would be the Sox 1st choice of the big 3.

People on here were saying Upton to the Orioles as a threat almost a month ago.

Also despite the many tweets linking the Sox to the big 3 it just means they have been trying and they'd be stupid not to with the market looking favorable. However ,as Rosenthal pointed out , MLB has money up the ying yang and sooner or later it comes to the forefront . The Sox do not f*** around with the bottom line very often so it's always made anyone of the Big 3 other than Gordon a long shot.

Not improving the 0 WAR LF and RF makes the Frazier trade absolute madness.

This is where hero-worshiping comes in. Frazier's here, not because the Sox will win, but to have a home run hitter to watch. Might as well get full hero value and let him participate in home run derby this year, if that's the plan.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)

This is where hero-worshiping comes in. Frazier's here, not because the Sox will win, but to have a home run hitter to watch. Might as well get full hero value and let him participate in home run derby this year, if that's the plan.

They will sign another OF. It might not be Cespedes or Upton, but Hahn has pretty much confirmed another OF will be coming in.

Maybe he is just better than what they had last year. By your comment, I assume you believe that Cabrera has no chance to improve this year?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
Maybe he is just better than what they had last year. By your comment, I assume you believe that Cabrera has no chance to improve this year?

He could. So could Avi. So could Laroche But that's no better than 50/50.

But look at the sox run differential from last year - 72 phytho wins. If anything, the win total exceeded the sum of the parts.

A lot would have to improve for this team as is to contend. You cant' trade controllable young talent like they did for a wish and a hope in Melky Cabrera (aging with a history of PED use) and a couple of others.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
He could. So could Avi. But that's no better than 50/50.

But look at the sox run differential from last year - 72 phytho wins. If anything, the win total exceeded the sum of the parts.

A lot would have to improve for this team as is to contend. You cant' trade controllable young talent like they did for a wish and a hope in Melky Cabrera and a couple of others.

Your hero worshipping is out of control.

Might want to wait until free agency is actually over to proclaim this.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
He could. So could Avi. So could Laroche But that's no better than 50/50.

A lot would have to improve for this team as is to contend. You cant' trade controllable young talent like they did for a wish and a hope in Melky Cabrera (aging with a history of PED use) and a couple of others.

I think cabrera has a better track record to improve than Garcia. cabrarea is 31, I wouldn't call that aging. Laroche you could at 36 you could. They have their young talent for 4 years at least. Don't make stupid decisions now that could limit the future success.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
You waste another year of all the team friendly stars. I'm not freaking out yet and individually I like all the moves we've made but playing the middle this year would be rather annoying.

Agree. With the acquisitions of Frazier and Lawrie the Sox have to get that big bat via FA signing or via trade IMO. If not, why Frazier and Lawrie for two years? As said previously, maybe RH will get creative. I hope so!

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
Sox have no ammo left for another big trade. They got nothing left in the minors close to ML ready and the high upside guys left down there are guys the Sox want to keep. They would create another hole trading from the 25 man roster. They have to keep Anderson because he is the heir apparent at SS. Have to keep Fulmer because Danks probably goes bye -bye after this year. Have to keep Quintana unless they get the " small army" they've been looking for and there's no depth with Montas gone.

I thought creative with a trade BUT yes, you're probably right.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)

Agree with this except I think a trade involving B and C level prospects can still be done. Not for outfielders like Colorado put on the market, more along the lines of Markakis who would still be a sizeable upgrade over Avi in RF and slot nicely in the two hole with his OBP/low K-rate. Not the sexy name fans are looking for but possibly a more realistic alternative to signing the likes of Fowler/Jackson/Parra/Span.

Another thing for Sox fans to keep in mind is that the idea of the Sox signing a FA hinges on the assumption JR will raise the payroll that currently sits at about 119M. While I would like to see the Sox sign Cespedes or Upton, I keep in mind that it's very possible the Sox do not sign one of them. Still plenty of alternative options out there that would be an upgrade over Avi in RF.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
Agree with this except I think a trade involving B and C level prospects can still be done. Not for outfielders like Colorado put on the market, more along the lines of Markakis who would still be a sizeable upgrade over Avi in RF and slot nicely in the two hole with his OBP/low K-rate. Not the sexy name fans are looking for but possibly a more realistic alternative to signing the likes of Fowler/Jackson/Parra/Span.

Another thing for Sox fans to keep in mind is that the idea of the Sox signing a FA hinges on the assumption JR will raise the payroll that currently sits at about 119M. While I would like to see the Sox sign Cespedes or Upton, I keep in mind that it's very possible the Sox do not sign one of them. Still plenty of alternative options out there that would be an upgrade over Avi in RF.

I'd much rather sign Austin Jackson or Denard Span than trade anything for a declining Markakis. What sucks about missing on Gordon is he would've slotted perfectly into the 2 hole in front of Jose. Even if we bring in Cespedes or Upton, that still leaves Jose hitting 2nd. He should absolutely be hitting 3rd with a decent OBP guy in front of him and the middle of the order.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
I'd much rather sign Austin Jackson or Denard Span than trade anything for a declining Markakis. What sucks about missing on Gordon is he would've slotted perfectly into the 2 hole in front of Jose. Even if we bring in Cespedes or Upton, that still leaves Jose hitting 2nd. He should absolutely be hitting 3rd with a decent OBP guy in front of him and the middle of the order.

What about Melky? He's probably the best 2 hole hitter the Sox have.

Regardless if the Sox get Cespedes/Upton/Etc, I'd have to imagine that Melky will be hitting 2nd in the lineup ... in the beginning of the season at least.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike