Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

After this season, Jose Abreu becomes arbitration eligible. He could be looking for a 5 year/$100+ commitment. If the Sox pushed all their chips in on Upton or Cespedes, they might be forced to trade Abreu for financial considerations. And I would rather have Abreu.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
But David Robertson fits into that scenario how exactly?

So you agree that the Sox will go more than 3 years for a player they deem worth it. They obviously don't think he is worth the long term commitment.

I for one agree with them on Cespedes. If the Nationals offer him 5 years guaranteed, let him go.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
After this season, Jose Abreu becomes arbitration eligible. He could be looking for a 5 year/$100+ commitment. If the Sox pushed all their chips in on Upton or Cespedes, they might be forced to trade Abreu for financial considerations. And I would rather have Abreu.

This is a good point. I would much rather hang onto Abreu long term as well. If he is arb eligible now he will be an FA during the proposed Cespedes contract. That could be the determination for the 3 year contract. Isn't that when Abreu would become an FA?

This is the dilemma, if you don't sign Cespedes you can't justify giving up a draft pick for Fowler. Not with the state of our farm system and the reality we're seeing here, which is we're not going to land these big FA with some self imposed limit on contract years. To get a player like Cespedes, we'd either have to draft him or trade for him.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
This is the dilemma, if you don't sign Cespedes you can't justify giving up a draft pick for Fowler. Not with the state of our farm system and the reality we're seeing here, which is we're not going to land these big FA with some self imposed limit on contract years. To get a player like Cespedes, we'd either have to draft him or trade for him.

This is the route they should take. Much better to become a consistent winner IMHO.

Normally I would agree, but with the extra pick the Sox got for Samardzija, that's the one they would have to give up and they would still have all of their standard allotment of picks and accompanying bonus pool.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:01 PM)

Maybe internally they prefer Fowler to Cespedes because he'd be a cheaper sign, but also because that's one less high price draft pick to pay for.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)

It's the 28th pick. There will be a great player available, but will the White Sox choose him? If you look at the actual 28th pick the last 7 years, there is one guy you wouldn't trade for Dexter Fowler, and that is Gerrit Cole who was selected with the 28th pick in 2008 by the Yankees. One problem, he didn't sign.

The fact that the Sox would still have their normal draft intact makes giving up the draft pick no big deal to me, and it keep the number of his suitors and therefore price tag a little lower. $70 million is plenty of justification.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Torches are lit and it appears its only a matter of time before the castle at 35th and Shields is stormed. Film at 11 !

Pfft.

Sox fans wouldn't voluntarily go into the park.

If they did, the budget would be higher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
It's the 28th pick. There will be a great player available, but will the White Sox choose him? If you look at the actual 28th pick the last 7 years, there is one guy you wouldn't trade for Dexter Fowler, and that is Gerrit Cole who was selected with the 28th pick in 2008 by the Yankees. One problem, he didn't sign.

The fact that the Sox would still have their normal draft intact makes giving up the draft pick no big deal to me, and it keep his suitors and therefore price tag a little lower.

The draft pool money is just as important as the high pick itself. Last year our draft sucked because we were so limited financially.

Here is the thing about Hahn. Last year, every move he wanted to do he got done. Yeah maybe luck but it did happen. Every move he seemingly wanted to do this off season he has gotten done. Cespedes has not yet signed with the Nats and Hahn seems to get his guy one way or another. So let's see until the contract is actually signed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)

The fact that the Sox would still have their normal draft intact makes giving up the draft pick no big deal to me, and it keep his suitors and therefore price tag a little lower. $70 million is plenty of justification.

Would you trade Spencer Adams for him?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
No pick attached considered... Potential decline in performance over the later years included... I still say give him 5/110 and roll the dice for 2016/2017.

But that decline in performance in later years and a huge contract could cripple the team as they try to keep the core together.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
Normally I would agree, but with the extra pick the Sox got for Samardzija, that's the one they would have to give up and they would still have all of their standard allotment of picks and accompanying bonus pool.

Having the extra pool money available is very valuable, though. We could use the money from our third pick on top of the second to sign someone who otherwise wouldn't have signed at slot value. I recall a recent article that detailed how the Astros were doing exactly this to acquire talent. It's very valuable

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
That whole waiting out the OF thing worked out pretty well for the Sox... Gordon back to KC, Upton to Det, etc. Can't say I'm surprised because this organization is a s*** show sometimes but still pretty disappointed.

Like some poster here said, we took a road trip and stopped 3/4 of the way there.