Sox claim Jerry Sands

flavum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
Honestly, he might be a platoon option to pair with LaRoche. Small sample size, but he has put a 135 wRC+ against LHP over the span of several major league seasons.

Yeah probably. As of right now with the current roster I have a bench of: Avila/Navarro, Sanchez, Shuck and then I guess Olt or Sands as a platoon option.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
I don't want Olt anywhere near this team. No one should.

Where did I say I did? This was just based off what our roster looks like now. I know we're likely to add an outfielder and a bench piece so Olt likely doesn't factor into a bench spot come opening day.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
Where did I say I did? This was just based off what our roster looks like now. I know we're likely to add an outfielder and a bench piece so Olt likely doesn't factor into a bench spot come opening day.

Simply a statement, not attributed to you. The opening day roster will/should still have some significant changes coming. Olt is brutal, not worth it for a brick glove at 3rd and the off chance that his bat runs into a fastball once a month for a HR.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
Andy Wilkims was claimed off waivers by the Brewers. His 6th organization since the Sox waived him last spring training. It has to be close to a record.

Wilkins hit bomb after bomb in the minors, but I remember him whiffing about 50% of the time when he had that cup of coffee with the Sox...

I'd say this really makes it seem impossible to deal Laroche regardless of how much $$ we might be willing to include if the Brewers would rather trade for Wilkins, but I gotta think this is a minor league depth move yes?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
Simply a statement, not attributed to you. The opening day roster will/should still have some significant changes coming. Olt is brutal, not worth it for a brick glove at 3rd and the off chance that his bat runs into a fastball once a month for a HR.

Ah gotcha. Yeah he shouldn't be on the roster.

I saw that Brendan Ryan was released. He has always had a light bat but always a great defender. May be worth a shot for the league minimum.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
Wilkins hit bomb after bomb in the minors, but I remember him whiffing about 50% of the time when he had that cup of coffee with the Sox...

I'd say this really makes it seem impossible to deal Laroche regardless of how much $$ we might be willing to include if the Brewers would rather trade for Wilkins, but I gotta think this is a minor league depth move yes?

They probably claimed him so they can waive him as well. It is getting to the point of ridiculous with him. i don't think Milwaukee expects him to be on their major league roster, or is in any way counting on him.

While it is fascinating to watch him get waived and claimed so much, in a way you have to feel bad for him. At least it is th offseason and he doesn't have to move to another team. That kind of action would probably get most in his situation to give it up.

He apparently is the breathing definition of 40th man on the roster.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Ah gotcha. Yeah he shouldn't be on the roster.

I saw that Brendan Ryan was released. He has always had a light bat but always a great defender. May be worth a shot for the league minimum.

To play SS? I think Saladino can definitely outhit Ryan and also figures to be a better defender at this point...