2016 Catch All Thread

southsider2k5

Whoa whoa whoa, why the hell would anyone tip picking up an order? That is the whole damn point of going to pick the food up yourself! People have taken the tipping s*** too far. The girl wanted a tip because she walked the bag from the back counter to the cash register? No, that is bulls***. I am seriously mad at this right now. Thanks for pissing me off kyle.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the market to buy a leaf blower, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I'd prefer to not pay more than $150. Consumer Reports seems to rate a few electric models with the best overall ratings, but I was thinking going more with gas powered. Are battery operated ones worth looking into? Anyone make a purchase that they really like? Thanks!

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
I'm in the market to buy a leaf blower, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I'd prefer to not pay more than $150. Consumer Reports seems to rate a few electric models with the best overall ratings, but I was thinking going more with gas powered. Are battery operated ones worth looking into? Anyone make a purchase that they really like? Thanks!

I don't have any specific model recommendations (I use a $70-80 electric Toro blower/mulcher/vacuum combo from Home Depot that i'm happy with), but if you're planning to mulch, make sure you get one that has a metal impeller. Plastic ones won't chop up small sticks/twigs/hard leaf stems.

As far as battery operated ones go, I think I would stay away. I only have a few big trees, but they dump a lot of leaves, and i'm usually blowing for 45-60 minutes at a time. Can't imagine a battery operated one would last longer than 10 minutes.

Depending on the amount of leaves you get, i'd either go backpack gas model or grab one of the electric combo units.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
Painters tape and soapy water. Lay the tape down with a gap as wide as you want that caulk to be. Apply caulk, run your finger down the middle smoothing it out, pull tape, admire perfect caulk line

Yeah...too late haha. It is not the worst thing ever, luckily silicone plays a little nicer than most caulk

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
Whoa whoa whoa, why the hell would anyone tip picking up an order? That is the whole damn point of going to pick the food up yourself! People have taken the tipping s*** too far. The girl wanted a tip because she walked the bag from the back counter to the cash register? No, that is bulls***. I am seriously mad at this right now. Thanks for pissing me off kyle.

I don't even know who the tip would go to. AFAIK, the cooks make regular hourly wages and don't rely on tips as part of their salary. I don't think handing someone a bag and taking their money is tip-worthy either. Otherwise we should be tipping McDonald's workers too.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 07:27 AM)

I purchased a Kobalt battery powered leaf blower for $150 or so. However, I don't use to to blow leaves off of grass, since my mower has a mulching function. I use it to clear my patio and driveway.

It does the job, although I do feel it is a bit underpowered. If you need the power, go with the gas. If you don't, the battery option is definitely easy and convenient.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
I don't even know who the tip would go to. AFAIK, the cooks make regular hourly wages and don't rely on tips as part of their salary. I don't think handing someone a bag and taking their money is tip-worthy either. Otherwise we should be tipping McDonald's workers too.

I'm pretty sure the tips get split up amongst all the folks behind the counter at most places.

I don't mind tipping because these people typically aren't making a whole lot of money. 10% is typically not a whole lot of money on a normal carry out order, to be honest. Usually no more than $3, unless I order 2 pizzas or something, in which case, I'll keep up the tipping as long as they keep making me good pizzas. When I get some sloppy ones, I usually don't tip next time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
I'm pretty sure the tips get split up amongst all the folks behind the counter at most places.

I don't mind tipping because these people typically aren't making a whole lot of money. 10% is typically not a whole lot of money on a normal carry out order, to be honest. Usually no more than $3, unless I order 2 pizzas or something, in which case, I'll keep up the tipping as long as they keep making me good pizzas. When I get some sloppy ones, I usually don't tip next time.

The people at McDonald's aren't making very much either. Why doesn't anyone tip them?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
Ettiquette question: I ordered sushi tonite and picked it up, and I did not tip when I picked up. The hostess gave me serious attitude about it, and it definitely left an impression.

Should I have tipped? When I used to deliver pizza, people would pick up pizzas and I would cash them out, and I never got nor expected a tip. Is it different with picking up sushi? I'm generally a good tipper, I just learned that this was not a tip situation, at least with pizza

I tip 10-15% for pickup depending on the restaurant and the service. I know some of that goes to the cooks and they deserve it. For sushi I go on the higher side since the food is f***ing beautiful.

part of my reasoning is from working in the service industry and just paying back my dues.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
Never understood how people ate sushi. Gag reflexes.

Oh man, I get crazy cravings for sushi but its certainly an acquired taste. If you arent a seafood lover than its a tough sell. I didnt really start liking it until my mid 20's (and thats actually when I started liking coffee) but now we get it at least once a week.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
Wait, people tip for food when they pick it up? I always tip on delivery of course, but virtually never have if I am picking it up. I didn't think that was even a thing.

I don't, but I do always wonder, am I the only person who doesn't (and thus a schmuck). Only time I will is if it is a huge huge order (like you are picking up for 10+ people or something) because that legitimately takes quite a bit more work then they were expecting.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 12:18 AM)
I have had a very strange relationship with this neighbor.

About 6-7 years ago we got new next door neighbors at my mom's house that I grew up in. We were both very friendly from the beginning. Fast forward a couple years and I see them come into the restaurant/brewery I bartended at right by our houses. After this, every time they come in, they ask to sit with me. They'd come in, we'd talk and laugh they would spend about $40-50, tip me 25-40% and we'd go on with our lives. They are a mid 60's couple and I would mostly talk to the wife. He is retired Chicago PD. The guy would say some strange stuff to me. Stuff about race, women, etc. He was mostly quiet when they were out to eat.

My mom despised the guy though. She is a shy nurse that barely talks about others unless she's saying positive things. She claimed he was giving her dirty looks, claims he was rude, etc. My dad and I basically told her she's just imagining it, don't worry about it.

So then I was a junior in college and I was still driving the remains of the family car my dad told I have three months to buy a car as the family car was going to my other sister. So I buy a car but at this point I am living and working in the city so my car is down there. The family car that I used to drive stayed parked in front of one of two slabs of street in front of my house. After I graduate and work I go back for another degree and move back to the suburbs. So I haven't seen my neighbors much if at all the last few years and they probably don't even know I have a new car. With the silver pos in front of the big slab of street in front of my house, my parents in the garage/driveway, I have to part in the street.

So I park on the other slab of street in front of my house. This spot is about 80% in front of my house and 20% in front of the aforementioned neighbors house. The street is public. I park there for several weeks, maybe even months I am not sure. My car is always parked as close to my house as possible. All of a sudden, I'd come home after work and he'd be parked in the spot. Sometimes with his Mercedes and sometimes with his F350. His truck would nearly protrude our driveway because it's so massive. When we back out to exit the neighborhood, we have to back out around his truck as it sits a foot off our driveway.

To what started as something he did every once in a while, he now parks there more than I do. The dumbest part is, he has two spots in the garage, an open driveway and only two cars. When I would park in the spot, he would just park in his garage. When he would park in the spot, I would rotate parking in front of a couple other neighbors houses. So I get feel like I am annoying someone every time I get in and out of my car. Last couple weeks his truck hasn't moved from "my spot." A couple weekends ago, I moved my car out of the spot, picked up a friend who lives in the neighborhood, dropped him off to the closest bar to our houses and went back home. It was 11 minutes roundtrip. I came back, his truck is there and his garage is closing as I pull up. This is at noon on a Sunday. I'm convinced the guy is watching the spot on his elaborate set of security cameras.

At this point, I've had enough. I am not going to be an asshole because my parents have to live next to this guy after I do but I I decided I needed to talk to him. I planned to be friendly and then change the subject to basically asking him how he sees the situation. I'm mowing the lawn and he pulls up in his other car and parks it in the driveway. I stop the mower and say "Mr. Schmo" and walk towards him. He appeared to have not hear me (I am a loud person) and closed the garage. It doesn't seem he wants to talk to me.

What do I do with this guy? I had a friend recommend buying the cheapest Vespa possible and just keeping it there because the spot is big enough for my car and the vespa but not for his truck and the vespa. That would be hilarious but probably not realistic.

Some people are just assholes. When we moved last October, I noticed our neighbor always parked in front of my house instead of their own, despite the fact they had the space available. While having no legal recourse, I went up to someone I didn't know at all, introduced myself, and asked if they could park in front of their house when spots are available.

No issue whatsoever.

So, you are parking somewhat in front of this guy's house. It's clear he's made like a f***ing Mount Kilimanjaro out of this mole hill, but perhaps there's something you can do. This silver POS, can it possibly be moved back the 2 feet you need? I'd try to adjust your habit prior to talking to him about it. If he's parking there, doesn't that mean he's 80% in front of your parents' house?

Anyway, I'd do that first. Second, I'd invest in a ski mask and slash the guy's tires with regularity while wearing a fat suit.