2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
Thanks. Those two things are in no way related. :)

So assuming that everyone can decide on which party they want to vote on six months in advance is practical?

Yeah ok.

And everyone should just go to college and get good jobs because it's that easy.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
    So assuming that everyone can decide on which party they want to vote on six months in advance is practical?

Yeah ok.

And everyone should just go to college and get good jobs because it's that easy.

Considering that probably 80% of the country already knows which party they vote for well before that, registering in advance shouldn't be that much of a inconvenience. 6 months may be a lot, but surely there can be some sort of time frame. Same day is bulls***. Are people that f***ing clueless with all the ads, talking, etc going on that you can't register beforehand? And you can register just about everywhere now. Surprised there isn't registration forms in cereal boxes.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)

Considering that probably 80% of the country already knows which party they vote for well before that, registering in advance shouldn't be that much of a inconvenience. 6 months may be a lot, but surely there can be some sort of time frame. Same day is bulls***. Are people that f***ing clueless with all the ads, talking, etc going on that you can't register beforehand? And you can register just about everywhere now. Surprised there isn't registration forms in cereal boxes.

Way to snub independent voters, Alpha.

I've voted for both Republicans and Democrats in the past. Illinois (Chicago?) has a closed primary so you pretty much have to tell them which ballot you want before hand. Not sure why NY can't be similar? Although having a closed primary in itself is pretty dumb; what if you wanted to vote for a candidate that's a democrat but you have a republican ballot?

See, it's screwy.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 06:09 PM)
      Way to snub independent voters, Alpha.

I've voted for both Republicans and Democrats in the past. Illinois (Chicago?) has a closed primary so you pretty much have to tell them which ballot you want before hand. Not sure why NY can't be similar? Although having a closed primary in itself is pretty dumb; what if you wanted to vote for a candidate that's a democrat but you have a republican ballot?

See, it's screwy.

A closed primary is not dumb. Would you want people from the other side picking your team? No, you wouldn't. That is what the primaries are for. Democrats pick the Democrat they want to represent them and Republicans pick the Republican they want to represent them. So how much time do you need? A month? 2 weeks? You act like the public is uninformed as to elections coming up, that they just sneak up on people. Just the deluge of ads alone should tell even the dumbest of voters that an election is nigh.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)
      You mention 80% like it's everyone. That still leaves out 20%.

No, but are that 20% so monumentally ignorant of the world that they have NO idea that an election is coming up? Like I asked above, how much time do you need? 6 months might be a lot, but what about 2 months? 3 weeks?

My personal view is that having to register for a party is stupid to begin with. It does nothing to help anyone. For that matter, I think everyone should get to vote in primaries for any and all major parties (Dem and GOP in the current setup). It's the best way to get the best candidates.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
      My personal view is that having to register for a party is stupid to begin with. It does nothing to help anyone. For that matter, I think everyone should get to vote in primaries for any and all major parties (Dem and GOP in the current setup). It's the best way to get the best candidates.

Or the worst when people in 'safe' states or places where one sides primary is already decided, can go try and put in the worst candidate for the other side. Thats one reason Trump does so well in open primaries.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
      Or the worst when people in 'safe' states or places where one sides primary is already decided, can go try and put in the worst candidate for the other side. Thats one reason Trump does so well in open primaries.

Is there any evidence showing that Democrats are going out to vote for Trump just so the GOP gets the worst candidate?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)

So be it. People will game the system no matter what. I mean, even if you register as one party, you can still vote for the other in a general election, so... why not register for the other? Or in many states, like IL, you could mess with it that way too. A six month expectation for registration doesn't really accomplish anything.

So open it up. Allow people to vote for who they like best, from all parties. It's at least going to get you the most voters involved, and give people real choices. Not to mention it will pull things away from this stupid run-for-the-extremes we are seeing.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:29 PM)
      No, but are that 20% so monumentally ignorant of the world that they have NO idea that an election is coming up? Like I asked above, how much time do you need? 6 months might be a lot, but what about 2 months? 3 weeks?

Why should an independent have declare their allegiance with any party just to be able to vote? I read that roughly 27% of the voters in New York are not affiliated with either party. That is a huge percentage of people whose opinion means squat. I think closed primaries are nothing but voter suppression that hurts any non establishment candidate like Sanders.

I understand the point that the parties don't want outsiders voting for someone because they think that person will be easier to beat in the general election. I get that. But honestly the percentage of people that do that barely makes a dent. I really think semi-closed primaries are the way to go. That eliminates Democrats from choosing the Republican nominee and vice versa but it allows unaffiliated voters to vote.

Allowing same day voter registration updates is a way to help prevent the voter suppression in closed primaries. New York's voting registration laws are just ridiculous. To have to decide who you are going to vote for 6 months in advance is just plain silly.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
      Why should an independent have declare their allegiance with any party just to be able to vote? I read that roughly 27% of the voters in New York are not affiliated with either party. That is a huge percentage of people whose opinion means squat. I think closed primaries are nothing but voter suppression that hurts any non establishment candidate like Sanders.

I understand the point that the parties don't want outsiders voting for someone because they think that person will be easier to beat in the general election. I get that. But honestly the percentage of people that do that barely makes a dent. I really think semi-closed primaries are the way to go. That eliminates Democrats from choosing the Republican nominee and vice versa but it allows unaffiliated voters to vote.

Allowing same day voter registration updates is a way to help prevent the voter suppression in closed primaries. New York's voting registration laws are just ridiculous. To have to decide who you are going to vote for 6 months in advance is just plain silly.

At the end of the day, a political party is a private entity. They should be able to set up whatever rules they want, within legal reason. When it comes to the actual election that is different.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)

Thank you.

You definitely articulated that in a better way for sure.

Alpha maybe you have a point in same day registration places but let's say 2 weeks before a primary would be the deadline.

If I am supposed to believe that Donald Trump is supposed to be this incredibly smart business man who is going to rescue us from our government with his understanding of complex mechanisms used to reform them for the betterment of the people, why can't he figure out how to run a campaign staff that won't keep losing him delegates to candidates with way less of that business experience? To keep losing delegates to the system means he either isn't as good of a manager as he keeps telling us he is, or he isn't as smart as he keeps telling us he is. If he can't keep Ted Cruz from stealing his delegates, how in the hell is he going to keep Vlad Putin from stealing back Eastern Europe?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
      If I am supposed to believe that Donald Trump is supposed to be this incredibly smart business man who is going to rescue us from our government with his understanding of complex mechanisms used to reform them for the betterment of the people, why can't he figure out how to run a campaign staff that won't keep losing him delegates to candidates with way less of that business experience? To keep losing delegates to the system means he either isn't as good of a manager as he keeps telling us he is, or he isn't as smart as he keeps telling us he is. If he can't keep Ted Cruz from stealing his delegates, how in the hell is he going to keep Vlad Putin from stealing back Eastern Europe?

Running government is just not the same as running a business. Similarities sure, but tons of huge differences.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)

A friend of mine just posted something eerily similar on FB.

Everything in calculated with Trump (all candidates). Many of his supporters and more importantly possible supporters, are drawn in and believe the us against the machine narrative. This is your chance to stick it to politicians and everybody else. I'm (Trump) getting kicked around and disenfranchised, and screwed over JUST LIKE YOU!. But I'm going to fight this and win like you can't. I'm winning this battle for you. Much, much better than "I feel your pain". Trump getting kicked by the establishment is exactly what a significant number of Americans feel.

It's one of the best plays I've seen in my lifetime. Not in the same league with the "liberal media" and "activist judges" strategy which made the GOP bullet proof from criticism, but still pretty damn good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 09:24 PM)

Trump vs. Hillary is probably the worst election ever in terms of quality of choices. I sure hope we give Trump a chance in this scenario. But Hillary, for whatever reason, is the choice of women and African Americans and their vote is way more than enough to give her the title. I'm frankly surprised Trump wants to stay in and get embarrassed like he's going to get embarrassed.

Edited by greg775

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politic...trump/83483402/

"We are very comfortable with our delegate position in Indiana already, and given the current dynamics of the primary there, we will shift our campaign's resources West and give the Cruz campaign a clear path in Indiana," Kasich for America chief strategist John Weaver said in a statement.

This is the first time Kasich has done anything like this. To me, this means he is giving up on his own chance at winning and will ask his delegates to support Cruz once they become unbound.

Lolllll. One of the most desperate attempts at power I've ever seen in politics. Like House of Cards playing out, except even here may be too much disbelief for that show. Two candidates that have completely failed have to collude together to not even win, but stop someone else. How embarassing and this will almost certainly backfire. It shows just how out of touch these two are with reality and their own people for them to do this. Polling shows Trump is the second choice for their own voters. The theme of this election season has been anti-establishment voters coming out. This just makes Cruz and Kasich appear as the ultimate political insiders.

And Trump completely and utterly destroys them

It is sad that two grown politicians have to collude against one person who has only been a politician for ten months in order to try and stop that person from getting the Republican nomination. Senator Cruz has done very poorly and after his New York performance, which was a total disaster, he is in free fall and as everyone has seen, he does not react well under pressure.

Collusion is often illegal in many other industries and yet these two Washington insiders have had to revert to collusion in order to stay alive. They are mathematically dead and this act only shows, as puppets of donors and special interests, how truly weak they and their campaigns are. I have brought millions of voters into the Republican primary system and have received many millions of votes more than Cruz or Kasich. Additionally, I am far ahead of both candidates with delegates and would be receiving in excess of 60% of the vote except for the fact that there were so many candidates running against me. Because of me, everyone now sees that the Republican primary system is totally rigged. When two candidates who have no path to victory get together to stop a candidate who is expanding the party by millions of voters, (all of whom will drop out if I am not in the race) it is yet another example of everything that is wrong in Washington and our political system. This horrible act of desperation, from two campaigns who have totally failed, makes me even more determined, for the good of the Republican Party and our country, to prevail!

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I heard my first campaign commercial here in Indiana. It pretty much said that if you don't like Trump, don't waste a vote for Kasich, because he has no chance to win, and to vote for Cruz.

Boy, if that isn't a resounding pile of pathetic, I don't know what is. I shouldn't vote for a guy because of who he is, I should vote for a guy because of who he isn't. This is the damned Presidential race, and I should be picking a guy for no other reason, than who he isn't? Boy, great standards there.