2004 Starting Shortstop

HighHeat45

Who should be the starting shortstop next season?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting shortstop next season?

• Jose Valentin
    • Tony Graffanino
    • Kazuo Matsui
    • Miguel Tejada
    • Other

I say we get try to get tejada if beane dosent budge then we keep jose, if it is too late then we go with other.

Matsui won't be around "if its too late" on the other 2. He will be heavily pursued by those teams that need a SS, and we arent alone in that area. We gotta make competitive offers to Matsui AND Tejada, and hope we convince one of them to sign with us.

Yeah I was reading the article about an hour ago. It's worrying to think of the consequences if we don't win da division. Colon and Everett won't be back, and one of Lee, Robbie and Paulie would prob have to go as well to cut payroll. Betta make it count his year guys!!!

He would be perfect for Reinsdorf. The Japanese players always draw huge interest when they come over here. He would help the Sox draw crowds. None of us have seen him play, you're right winnginuglyin83, but look at the players who have come over to the US with credentials like him; Ichiro and Hideki Matsui. It seems he was almost at their level in Japan. I would love to take a shot on him.

Irabu is another one who was supposed to be the next great thing.

Suzuki and Matsui have been very good.

But there IS a risk involved.

most likely one worth taking.

but it's still a risk

and the Sox remain in this hole because Caruso, Dellaero and the other shortstops of the future were big-time busts. Even Gonzalez took a step backwards this year at Kannapolis.

It appears that our best SS prospect is Valido and he's probably four years way.

That Rogers article should have put things in place.  We aren't going sign our own expensive free agents, let alone any of the other big names out there.

Most important part of that article to me was this:

"But Valentin has it right. There will be plenty of time for angst over the budget in November and December. Everything you need to know at the moment is happening between the foul lines."

Not discounting him.

He's probably very good.

But there have been some Japanese busts, too -- like Shinjo on the Mets.

And I have my doubts believing JR will get into any kind of bidding war.

I'm more intrigued by the idea of the Sox acquiring Eckstein if the Angels sign the Japenese ss.

He wouldn't break the bank.

Eh, Shinjo didn't come over here with a great deal of hype. He was a good player in Japan, but not near Ichiro or Hideki Matsui. He wasn't a bust his first year either.

Leave it to Phil "The Twins are the best team in the AL" Rogers, to try to rain on the Sox parade.  Sometimes I swear this guy has a quota to make for anti-Sox/Pro-Twins stuff.  I'll bet he emails KC's Posanski on how to write crap like this.

What he wrote was basically correct, it's what we've all been talking about

Leave it to Phil "The Twins are the best team in the AL" Rogers, to try to rain on the Sox parade.  Sometimes I swear this guy has a quota to make for anti-Sox/Pro-Twins stuff.  I'll bet he emails KC's Posanski on how to write crap like this.

SS2K3, correct me if i´m worng, but he chose our team before the season to be the Champions and BC the Cy Young.