2016-2017 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
$4 million for assistants is only behind Michigan and OSU for assistants in the Big 10 and not far behind those two. Wow.

Would of been 10th in the nation last year.

Wow is right. Illinois going big.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
Would of been 10th in the nation last year.

Wow is right. Illinois going big.

And it's a good thing, too. Spend the money right the first time. So many dumb signings and dumb contracts in the organization right now.

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)
Absolutely. What's the worst that can happen, we stay bad?

Worst case is we stay bad and are out money. But that's pretty much it.

We've been getting national attention for this move, good attention, I freaking love it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
Worst case is we stay bad and are out money. But that's pretty much it.

We've been getting national attention for this move, good attention, I freaking love it.

And frankly the strategy is pretty sound. Recognizable HC, throw money at assistants, and all you have to do is out recruit and out perform Wisconsin and Iowa.

Garrick McGee from Louisville coming on board as offensive coordinator. He has a reputation as a top recruiter and was one of the 20 highest paid assistants in college football last year. Also, turned down the Oklahoma offensive coordinator position last year to stay at Louisville. This really is a new day for Illinois football.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
Turned down his alma mater at Oklahoma but goes to Illinois for the same position. You can't make that up.

Tim Brewster is interested in coming aboard. That'd be just massive. He'd cost a ton but for a recruiting coordinator he'd be worth it.

He has a fantastic relationship with Lovie who recruited him to Arizona State like 25 years ago. It is those types of stories and the way almost all of Lovie's former players talk about him that makes me think he will recruit really well. Urlacher would still run through a wall for him.

Brewster would be incredible as TE coach/recruiting coordinator. Where are you seeing/hearing that?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
Turned down his alma mater at Oklahoma but goes to Illinois for the same position. You can't make that up.

Tim Brewster is interested in coming aboard. That'd be just massive. He'd cost a ton but for a recruiting coordinator he'd be worth it.

It sounds like the Brewster thing isn't happening.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
He has a fantastic relationship with Lovie who recruited him to Arizona State like 25 years ago. It is those types of stories and the way almost all of Lovie's former players talk about him that makes me think he will recruit really well. Urlacher would still run through a wall for him.

Brewster would be incredible as TE coach/recruiting coordinator. Where are you seeing/hearing that?

Werner reported he had interest yesterday but today he said Lovie made the decision not to pursue him.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Sounds like Nickerson is in. How about that...Lovie is the first AA at Illinois and Illinois will now be the only school in the country with AA's at HC, OC and DC.

Lovie bringing in a damn good staff. Hopefully we can get that key recruiting coordinator.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
Garrick McGee from Louisville coming on board as offensive coordinator. He has a reputation as a top recruiter and was one of the 20 highest paid assistants in college football last year. Also, turned down the Oklahoma offensive coordinator position last year to stay at Louisville. This really is a new day for Illinois football.

Right way to hire. Recruiting is done by the assistants primarily so they each need to want to do it and also own a geographical area.

One of the major weaknesses was the actual idenfication of recruits so the recruiting coordinator will be a big hire.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
Right way to hire. Recruiting is done by the assistants primarily so they each need to want to do it and also own a geographical area.

One of the major weaknesses was the actual idenfication of recruits so the recruiting coordinator will be a big hire.

Tim Spencer is the RB coach. Former Ohio State assistant. Coaching Eddie George from 1994-2003.

Any info on Spencer, Rock?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
Tim Spencer is the RB coach. Former Ohio State assistant. Coaching Eddie George from 1994-2003.

Tim Spencer was also the RB coach in Chicago under Lovie.

So he coached Eddie George, Maurice Clarett (college version), Thomas Jones, Matt Forte, and Doug Martin? Sounds like a home run there.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
I'm debating whether to grab season tickets. I know they'll be bad again next year, but still...

I don't see why the offense can't be good next year. IF Lunt improves and Dudek is back healthy, I don't see why the offense can't score points right away.

There are still some decent pieces on the defense. Depth isn't there, but if they are healthy I don't see why they can't at least be decent next year...

I'm out all of September so instead of buying season tickets I'll be making a donation to ifund and going to games later in the season.

Gotta show support to the program as they invested heavily (and making the right moves too).

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
I don't see why the offense can't be good next year. IF Lunt improves and Dudek is back healthy, I don't see why the offense can't score points right away.

There are still some decent pieces on the defense. Depth isn't there, but if they are healthy I don't see why they can't at least be decent next year...

Justin Hardee coming back too. Malik Turner made some strides too.

He's not coming but he's a real good coach whose son is in the NFL.