2016-2017 NCAA football thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
I could care less. It is that NFL contract that is the winning powerball ticket. The players don't get a damned thing from winning a national title. If they feel like sitting out to protect themselves, more power to them.

This. I have no issue with any of these kids sitting out bowl games/playoff games/Junior or Senior seasons to preserve their draft status. Once they have established themselves as an early first round pick, they get no additional benefit from the college system. Losing millions of dollars in guaranteed earnings to help your school win a national title is a really, really one sided transaction.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
This. I have no issue with any of these kids sitting out bowl games/playoff games/Junior or Senior seasons to preserve their draft status. Once they have established themselves as an early first round pick, they get no additional benefit from the college system. Losing millions of dollars in guaranteed earnings to help your school win a national title is a really, really one sided transaction.

I love the "teammates" angle. Like those guys are going to help you out if you get injured in the future. Pro Football has a very short runway, get it while you can

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
I love the "teammates" angle. Like those guys are going to help you out if you get injured in the future. Pro Football has a very short runway, get it while you can

I feel the same about the basketball kids. If you are going to be a lottery pick, go. It doesn't matter if you "aren't ready" or anything else. If someone else is willing to pay you, and start your clock towards free agency, take it.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
Illinois beats out Iowa for Kendrick Green. Huge get for Illinois. Now rank 42nd in recruiting rankings according to scout.

Huge get, nice recovery by Illinois after being late to the party.

I'm all about NFL-bound players sitting out meaningless exhibition games. I would hate to see them get hurt. But also, from a selfish standpoint, unless my team is playing in the Playoff, I'd rather see what the young guys can do. It would be a good chance to see what next year's players are looking like.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 12:50 AM)
I'm all about NFL-bound players sitting out meaningless exhibition games. I would hate to see them get hurt. But also, from a selfish standpoint, unless my team is playing in the Playoff, I'd rather see what the young guys can do. It would be a good chance to see what next year's players are looking like.

I think redshirt players should be allowed to play.