Kendrick signs with Dodgers

caulfield12

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/dodger...multiple-levels

And then there were three...Desmond, Gallardo and Fowler. One major factor working against Kendrick was his relatively advanced age.

Austin Jackson still out there as well.

Note the writer? Doug Padilla already on the Dodgers beat.

Edited by raBBit

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 03:59 AM)
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/dodger...multiple-levels

And then there were three...Desmond, Gallardo and Fowler. One major factor working against Kendrick was his relatively advanced age.

Austin Jackson still out there as well.

Note the writer? Doug Padilla already on the Dodgers beat.

Big Time. For the first time we saw players taking QO. Think in future many more older players begin to take.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 05:24 AM)
Big Time. For the first time we saw players taking QO. Think in future many more older players begin to take.

i don't know about older players, i think this was a great idea from their agents to take the 1 yr QO, gamble on themselves that they will stay healthy and go into another fa season that is not loaded with upper elite talent.

another yr may be 2018 when there is a nice group of fa that will be available.

This crap has to change. Older guys that break into the bigs late get absolutely screwed. Any guy who's not elite gets screwed. It's not always about the money. FA is supposed to be this great "you earned it" moment, and guys cant even pick where they want to go because the amount of offers shrinks down to almost nothing in some cases.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)
This crap has to change. Older guys that break into the bigs late get absolutely screwed. Any guy who's not elite gets screwed. It's not always about the money. FA is supposed to be this great "you earned it" moment, and guys cant even pick where they want to go because the amount of offers shrinks down to almost nothing in some cases.

Definitely the college guys that are superstar quality get there a year or two later than the ARods, Harpers, Trouts and Correas.

You can also blame PED's, it wouldn't have been the case 5-6 years ago that there was the prevailing assumption most players would be pretty much done at 34-36.

You also have to consider this phenomenon as only screwing over Morales, Drew, Desmond (more his fault for rejecting original extension before last year)...and Gallardo/Fowler. You're not talking a massive amount of players. I do remember it working against Orlando Cabrera as well when KW and Ozzie basically pushed him off the 2009 team through the media.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)

They could accept the QO?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 04:20 AM)
Funny how Shark bets on himself and has a horrendous year and still lands a $90 mil contract.

I wonder what the contract would have been if he had a good year? Just shows you the value of pitching.,

I don't know, this doesn't seem like such a bad deal for Kendrick. Sure he turned down 15.7M for one year but he got a two year 20M deal instead. For a 32 year old player that is beginning to decline, I think there's something to be said about two years of financial security over one year.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 06:18 AM)
I don't know, this doesn't seem like such a bad deal for Kendrick. Sure he turned down 15.7M for one year but he got a two year 20M deal instead. For a 32 year old player that is beginning to decline, I think there's something to be said about two years of financial security over one year.

What? He's effectively getting paid $4.3M for 2017, that's pretty horrible.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 06:30 AM)

Staying on the west coast where he has been living for years, playing for a perennial playoff contender and two years of financial security were obviously more important to Kendrick. Kendrick has made plenty of money throughout his career.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)

i can see both side of this discussion. but i can also see how and why there might be some more players accepting the QO, if the QO offer system is still there in the future.

but the age of 32 is and will be the wildcard in any future QO going forward.

QUOTE (StillMissOzzie @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:56 AM)
After reading about the offer that Ian Desmond declined, he should go kick his agent's ass every day for the next seven years. It's one thing to turn down a QO, but what Desmond said no to is just stupid with a capital S.

SMO

Well if he had another regular Ian Desmond year he probably could have gotten more money. But yes in hindsight it sucks for him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 11:04 PM)
Definitely the college guys that are superstar quality get there a year or two later than the ARods, Harpers, Trouts and Correas.

You can also blame PED's, it wouldn't have been the case 5-6 years ago that there was the prevailing assumption most players would be pretty much done at 34-36.

You also have to consider this phenomenon as only screwing over Morales, Drew, Desmond (more his fault for rejecting original extension before last year)...and Gallardo/Fowler. You're not talking a massive amount of players. I do remember it working against Orlando Cabrera as well when KW and Ozzie basically pushed him off the 2009 team through the media.

Compensation for free agents is likely going to be gone very soon anyway. Steve Stone was on that csn show yesterday evening and thinks it's really stupid which I tend to agree with.

Edited by soxfan2014

I think there are variables to take into consideration for players when they decide to accept or turn down QO's. Age, previous years performance and the upcoming FA market.

Desmond: obviously should have taken the QO. He's been statistically trending downward so taking the 1 year QO to try and improve for FA would have been the smarter idea. Plus there was a big market for SS's either.

Rasmus: smart move accepting. Market was flooded with OF talent so he decided to take the guaranteed money for one more year to bet on himself getting a multi-year contract next year where there will not be as much OF talent to compete with.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 08:00 AM)
Compensation for free agents is likely going to be gone very soon anyway. Steve Stone was on that csn show yesterday evening and thinks it's really stupid which I tend to agree with.

Dependson what the owners gain in the negotiations. If its a worldwide draft, it may be worth it

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
I think there are variables to take into consideration for players when they decide to accept or turn down QO's. Age, previous years performance and the upcoming FA market.

Desmond: obviously should have taken the QO. He's been statistically trending downward so taking the 1 year QO to try and improve for FA would have been the smarter idea. Plus there was a big market for SS's either.

Rasmus: smart move accepting. Market was flooded with OF talent so he decided to take the guaranteed money for one more year to bet on himself getting a multi-year contract next year where there will not be as much OF talent to compete with.

excellent break down and i really do see some fa's accepting the QO. maybe not next yr, since it will be a somewhat thin fa class. now the 2018, if the system stays as is, i bet they will be more accepting the QO. now i have been trying to see whom on the sox will be fa's?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
excellent break down and i really do see some fa's accepting the QO. maybe not next yr, since it will be a somewhat thin fa class. now the 2018, if the system stays as is, i bet they will be more accepting the QO. now i have been trying to see whom on the sox will be fa's?

Lawrie, Frazier and Melky are free agents after the '17 season. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
Lawrie, Frazier and Melky are free agents after the '17 season. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

yeah and i would really be apprehensive, if i was the sox FO to extend melky or even frazier. now with frazier, it will depend on how he preforms.

yet, i should say, i should see how all 3 preforms.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
yeah and i would really be apprehensive, if i was the sox FO to extend melky or even frazier. now with frazier, it will depend on how he preforms.

yet, i should say, i should see how all 3 preforms.

I seriously doubt the Sox extend Melky. Frazier and Lawrie would make sense but both the team and players have to have the desire to stay together. If the player performs well and likes the team then surely there would be mutual interest. We'll see what happens over the next two years.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
I seriously doubt the Sox extend Melky. Frazier and Lawrie would make sense but both the team and players have to have the desire to stay together. If the player performs well and likes the team then surely there would be mutual interest. We'll see what happens over the next two years.

excellent,

so for me, i will sit back, and if the sox does pick up someone viable, cheer on my sox.