**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
Im actually surprised it took this long. That plug n play Sega Genesis emulator has been out for a long time.

Balloon Fight

BUBBLE BOBBLE

Castlevania

Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE

Dr. Mario

Excitebike

FINAL FANTASY®

Galaga

GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®

GRADIUS

Ice Climber

Kid Icarus

Kirby’s Adventure

Mario Bros.

MEGA MAN® 2

Metroid

NINJA GAIDEN

PAC-MAN

Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream

StarTropics

SUPER C

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

TECMO BOWL

The Legend of Zelda

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Did that many people get rid of their old consoles? I still have half that list as original cartridges in a box in my basement. I also still have a working original NES and a working top-load NES.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Yeah, I really just play for the thrill of finding something rare. The gyms are hard to take down, and they all seem to be guarded by Vaporeons.

Also, I think I'm the only person in NW Indiana on team Yellow. Every gym is red or blue, so I can't even "train" or whatever. Never seen a yellow gym.

It's actually easier that way. You can easily gain XP for fighting the gyms, assuming you have something strong enough to beat at least one Pokemon at the gym.

So because of Pokemon Go, I've been walking around 5-6 miles per day, visiting parks that I didn't know existed before the game's release.

I wonder how long it'll be before we see stories of people losing 20-30 pounds because of this game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 06:58 AM)
It's actually easier that way. You can easily gain XP for fighting the gyms, assuming you have something strong enough to beat at least one Pokemon at the gym.

Don't you only get 100 XP for beating 1 pokemon at a gym? That's the same as catching a Pidgey

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Anyone do the pidgey exploit? im about to try it out tonite

I did a session where I evolved all the Pidgeys, Weetles and Rats and some others in a 30 minute Lucky Egg and that rushed me from late 18-20.

Yesterday I think I took it a step further and hatched 8 5k eggs and a 10k egg right after I started a Lucky Egg and evolved some. Then I kept evolving those Pokemon. I got about 80k experience from the trick.

I finally ordered a PS4. I know, extremely late to the party.

Plan is to cut the cord for cable. What is the best and cheapest route to doing this by utilizing what is offered through the ps4?

Pokemon was pretty fun to do with my son for about 10 days but now it's just boring. Same 3-5 Pokemon everywhere, every Gym has a Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon (because Eevee is the only common Pokemon worth a s***), Pidgeys, Rattatas, Zubats have the nerve to escape at higher levels but that's all there is to catch after walking for a half mile... meh. Unless they adjust this I'm retiring.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Anyone do the pidgey exploit? im about to try it out tonite

I had 260 Pidgey candies, evolved 25 of them for 25,000 XP using a lucky egg last night. Evolved some other ones that resulted in new Pokemon as well. Overall, it got me close to 50,000 XP. Unfortunately, that didn't even move me up one level since the gap between level 21 and 22 is 75,000 XP.

I had a buddy of mine who went from 10 to 15 last night using the lucky egg + Pidgeys. It's an effective way to level up fast.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
I did a session where I evolved all the Pidgeys, Weetles and Rats and some others in a 30 minute Lucky Egg and that rushed me from late 18-20.

Yesterday I think I took it a step further and hatched 8 5k eggs and a 10k egg right after I started a Lucky Egg and evolved some. Then I kept evolving those Pokemon. I got about 80k experience from the trick.

I keep meaning to incorporate hatching my eggs into my Lucky Egg time, but I can never do it right lol.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)

Plan is to cut the cord for cable. What is the best and cheapest route to doing this by utilizing what is offered through the ps4?

Amazon Video if you have Prime, Hulu Plus (worth it for no commercials), Netflix and then the various premium channels if you're interested.

I know PlayStation has a streaming cable service called Vue, but I don't know if it's any good. A similar streaming service is Sling, which gives you some basic cable for $20+ per month. Check both channel listings as they vary.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
Don't you only get 100 XP for beating 1 pokemon at a gym? That's the same as catching a Pidgey

You get 350 for beating a level 3 I think.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Amazon Video if you have Prime, Hulu Plus (worth it for no commercials), Netflix and then the various premium channels if you're interested.

I know PlayStation has a streaming cable service called Vue, but I don't know if it's any good. A similar streaming service is Sling, which gives you some basic cable for $20+ per month. Check both channel listings as they vary.

I have Prime and Netflix but havent used Prime as of yet. Not sure if I will need to add Hulu to that mix. The wife has to watch Walking Dead when that comes back so I am not even sure what offers that.

I read about Vue and they say there is 85 channels for that which is more than Sling offers. Vue is 50-60 bucks a month depending on what package you get.

My big worry is her Walking Dead show and my sports. I assume I can buy the packages but that might wind up costing me more than paying for cable year round. But I am going to go for it anyway. Tired of giving business to these cable companies that dont give a s*** about their customers.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
I have Prime and Netflix but havent used Prime as of yet. Not sure if I will need to add Hulu to that mix. The wife has to watch Walking Dead when that comes back so I am not even sure what offers that.

I read about Vue and they say there is 85 channels for that which is more than Sling offers. Vue is 50-60 bucks a month depending on what package you get.

My big worry is her Walking Dead show and my sports. I assume I can buy the packages but that might wind up costing me more than paying for cable year round. But I am going to go for it anyway. Tired of giving business to these cable companies that dont give a s*** about their customers.

Just keep in mind most of those sports packages are subject to blackout rules. So if you live in the Chicago area, you're not going to get Chicago area teams.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
Just keep in mind most of those sports packages are subject to blackout rules. So if you live in the Chicago area, you're not going to get Chicago area teams.

I read that Vue offers comcast sports net chicago but yeah it appears I would be pretty screwed the way everything is currently set up when it comes to sports.

I guess I will be watching Bears and Bulls games at the local establishment. Oh well.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)

I just cut the cord 2 months ago and have a pretty decent set up. I have an xbox 1 though. I got an xbox one digital tv tuner with a 50 mile antenna and I can use the channel guide thats integrated into the xbox one and it even lets you dvr. I get 62 HD channels with that, including CBS and Fox in HD for football.

I have sling tv and Im currently paying $25 for their original channel package including a $5 bonus package of like 5 channels. It has ESPN, MTV, Spike, History etc so there are a lot of good channels on there and it even has an on demand type feature where you can watch stuff on the channels you get that was on earlier in the day.

I have Prime, Netflix and HBO go that I share with other people.

Lastly I have an amazon fire stick that has kodi installed on it so I can watch movies that are still in theaters and it has tons of other content to watch. Having the firestick helps too so I dont have to overwork my xb1 with netflix and prime video and stuff. Also, since I have a pc I can instantly stream stuff I download to the tv without issue.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)

A buddy of mine has PlayStation Vue, but he's in Tampa so I can't speak for what the Chicago set up is regarding CSN. He really likes it though. Only thing is I can't text him 'holy s*** what a play/goal/whatever' because he's on a delay on Vue, but otherwise he's happy he switched over.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)

My buddy tried the trial for Vue and he said it was really good. I might go to that option.

What's unfortunate is that these streaming services are just taking the place of cable. You're saving a little, but not a lot. I looked at Sling yesterday and the packages have changed already from just a few months ago when I was going to subscribe. In order to get the few, more obscure channels, like the Golf Channel, I have to buy into the big package. Instead of $20 for limited cable (appealing) it would be closer to $50 with 30 channels I don't want/need (not appealing). So, exactly what cable forces you to do.

In 5 years Sling or Vue will be up to $75 bucks a month with 100 channels, 80% of which you won't watch. They'll also be owned by Comcast, AT&T or another big internet service provider (Google maybe). Cable is dying but will just be absorbed by the ISP's.

Trying to get into this Pokemon Go game, but I can't go into gyms because everyone is so much more powerful than I am and will kick my ass.

I've been farming pokestops and occasionally finding pokemon around, but it's such a time waster that it's more work than the result.

I guess maybe I'm just too old for it.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
I read that Vue offers comcast sports net chicago but yeah it appears I would be pretty screwed the way everything is currently set up when it comes to sports.

I guess I will be watching Bears and Bulls games at the local establishment. Oh well.

I never understand this mentality.

I'm gonna cut the cord and save so much money!

I have to go to bars to watch any game!

Two trips to the bar = a month's cable bill. So silly.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 02:51 AM)
FINALLY hatched my 10 km egg.... got an Oddish. Hatched my 5 km egg..... got an Eevee.

f*** this game.

You got it the wrong way. 10 KM hatched you Eevee. 5 km got you Oddish. There's a chart that tells you what eggs can hatch what Pokemon.

Link

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
I never understand this mentality.

I'm gonna cut the cord and save so much money!

I have to go to bars to watch any game!

Two trips to the bar = a month's cable bill. So silly.

I dont drink though. Plus I probably wont actually go to a bar except for Bears games. Bulls and Sox I can casually watch whenever I am at the gym or my parents house. I guess now that I am older and have kids and wife watching sports just doesnt happen enough for me to really alter my plans. Ultimately I am not cutting the cord to save bundles of money or anything. I really just wanted a playstation and that is something I can tell my wife to validate me buying one. If I can save a few bucks cutting the cord and utilizing the streaming then all the better.