2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 11:10 PM)
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap/

With the top 51 contracts, it looks like the Bears still have around 40 million left in cap room.

They don't have Massie on there, but I just added 6 million to the total.

EDIT: I lied. They don't have the Porter, Becton, or Rodgers resigning. So probably around 33-34 million in cap.

Still expect the release of Bennett and Rolle which would create another 7 million

According to the NFLPA, the Bears still have 31.4M in cap space......According to Over the Cap, the Bears rookie pool will cost 7.3M.

So the Bears still have 24.1M in cap space to use on free agents.

IMO, they absolutely need a starting safety and defensive lineman. A strong case could be made for another starting ILB, defensive lineman, and offensive lineman depending on how they view Timu, Ego, and Leno(an opposing argument could be made for those 3 IMO, and yes I said Timu). I have my hopes that tight end doesn't come into the discussion.

That's 5-6 potential starting needs. If they can come away with 2 more, preferably DL and Safety, I would be really happy going into the draft.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
According to the NFLPA, the Bears still have 31.4M in cap space......According to Over the Cap, the Bears rookie pool will cost 7.3M.

So the Bears still have 24.1M in cap space to use on free agents.

IMO, they absolutely need a starting safety and defensive lineman. A strong case could be made for another starting ILB, defensive lineman, and offensive lineman depending on how they view Timu, Ego, and Leno(an opposing argument could be made for those 3 IMO, and yes I said Timu). I have my hopes that tight end doesn't come into the discussion.

That's 5-6 potential starting needs. If they can come away with 2 more, preferably DL and Safety, I would be really happy going into the draft.

Remember, you figure to factor in the expected releases of Bennett and Rolle, which would free up another 7 million in cap space. That would bring the total back up to 31 million counting the draft pool

I expect the Bears to resign TE Miller (4-5 million per year) and DE Jenkins (2-3 million per year), which would bring the Bears back to 24 million in cap with the draft pool.

Bears have been tied to CB Casey Heyward, CB Patrick Robinson, DE Akiem Hicks (visiting today), and S David Bruton.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
Remember, you figure to factor in the expected releases of Bennett and Rolle, which would free up another 7 million in cap space. That would bring the total back up to 31 million counting the draft pool

I expect the Bears to resign TE Miller (4-5 million per year) and DE Jenkins (2-3 million per year), which would bring the Bears back to 24 million in cap with the draft pool.

Bears have been tied to CB Casey Heyward, CB Patrick Robinson, DE Akiem Hicks (visiting today), and S David Bruton.

Not a huge Jenkins fan, at least as a starter anyway. I'm hoping for Hicks and a guy in one of the first 3 rounds as far as the DL goes. I would bring back Unrein as well and go 7 deep with Goldman, Hicks, draft pick, Ego, Unrein, Sutton, Washington.

I predict we'll like up our dlinemen today and presume we are still going to go aggressive at a safety. Lemming indicates he thinks Miller will be back. I wonder what Pace would do if the Niners offered their 1st for Jay. Seems like Kaep is going to one of the Browns or Broncos for a 2nd round pick (wonder if we could make it a three team deal...this is presuming Pace thinks highly of one of the top couple QB's).

Also, surprised we are interested in CJ Anderson, but than I look at his numbers and wow, he was a beast, great average per carry, still young. Supposedly he might sign an offer sheet today (I'd have to presume Broncos match).

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
Not a huge Jenkins fan, at least as a starter anyway. I'm hoping for Hicks and a guy in one of the first 3 rounds as far as the DL goes. I would bring back Unrein as well and go 7 deep with Goldman, Hicks, draft pick, Ego, Unrein, Sutton, Washington.

I'd rather bring back Jenkins than keep Washington. Washington has proven nothing since coming into the NFL. Jenkins at least provides good depth. I'd bring back Unrein as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
I predict we'll like up our dlinemen today and presume we are still going to go aggressive at a safety. Lemming indicates he thinks Miller will be back. I wonder what Pace would do if the Niners offered their 1st for Jay. Seems like Kaep is going to one of the Browns or Broncos for a 2nd round pick (wonder if we could make it a three team deal...this is presuming Pace thinks highly of one of the top couple QB's).

Also, surprised we are interested in CJ Anderson, but than I look at his numbers and wow, he was a beast, great average per carry, still young. Supposedly he might sign an offer sheet today (I'd have to presume Broncos match).

Wonder if the Bears look at RB Khiry Robinson (Saints/Pace connection) or RB Ronnie Hillman (Fox connection).

EDIT: 5 minutes later Khiry Robinson signs with the Jets lol

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
I'd rather bring back Jenkins than keep Washington. Washington has proven nothing since coming into the NFL. Jenkins at least provides good depth. I'd bring back Unrein as well.

Washington is an excellent special teams player though. I'd much rather keep him than Jenkins.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
Washington is an excellent special teams player though. I'd much rather keep him than Jenkins.

Excellent special teamer? He's played 16 total games in 3 years and has made 10 tackles with 1 sack....

Give me depth on the DL that can give you 3-5 sacks than a STer.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)

Could have been fluff, but he supposedly looked pretty good in camp as a 5tech last year.

He's been blocked and came in raw. I think he's the type of guy you keep around until his contract runs out to wait and see if something clicks. 6'4", 34" arms, strong as hell, explosive, and still cheap. Think there is still some upside there.

Jenkins had a couple good games, but he's been proven to be more bad than good.

There is still a part of me that feels like the Bears arent utilizing Long to his full potential putting him back to Guard. He is such a dynamic talent to put him at a position that historically been of less importance seems counterproductive. Now I understand that technically that might not even be the case since they will use his athleticism to run plays that you could never run with an average guard and the fact he will make Massie even better in theory but I still have some concerns about the move.

Bears are bringing in DE Akiem Hicks and TE Jermaine Gresham in on visits tomorrow. Hopefully we can lock both of them up tomorrow and make Bennett expendable.

Bears also interested in WR Jermaine Kearse.

Bears also signed CB Sherrick McManis to a 2 year deal. Good because he's a solid ST guy.

So, lock up Gresham and Hicks tomorrow. Resign Miller and Jenkins. Possibly get Kearse here and then focus on CB/S help.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
There is still a part of me that feels like the Bears arent utilizing Long to his full potential putting him back to Guard. He is such a dynamic talent to put him at a position that historically been of less importance seems counterproductive. Now I understand that technically that might not even be the case since they will use his athleticism to run plays that you could never run with an average guard and the fact he will make Massie even better in theory but I still have some concerns about the move.

He's pretty terrible at Tackle.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
Bears are bringing in DE Akiem Hicks and TE Jermaine Gresham in on visits tomorrow. Hopefully we can lock both of them up tomorrow and make Bennett expendable.

Bears also interested in WR Jermaine Kearse.

Bears also signed CB Sherrick McManis to a 2 year deal. Good because he's a solid ST guy.

So, lock up Gresham and Hicks tomorrow. Resign Miller and Jenkins. Possibly get Kearse here and then focus on CB/S help.

Resigned in Seattle.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 10:41 PM)
He was rated higher than massive without ever having played there until week of last year.

I like him at guard though.

I havent seen those statistics, last I looked because I was in the same boat as you, I was sent some metrics where he was one of the worst in the league.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
I havent seen those statistics, last I looked because I was in the same boat as you, I was sent some metrics where he was one of the worst in the league.

Kyle had a few brutal games but he had some dominating games in there as well, against a couple premier rushers mind you. Clearly he was learning on the fly last year but he has the talent to develop into one of the games best at Tackle IMO. Terrible is definitely not a word I would use for Kyle Long at Tackle, that is just ridiculous.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
Kyle had a few brutal games but he had some dominating games in there as well, against a couple premier rushers mind you. Clearly he was learning on the fly last year but he has the talent to develop into one of the games best at Tackle IMO. Terrible is definitely not a word I would use for Kyle Long at Tackle, that is just ridiculous.

Everything I saw, (and I dont know where to look now) was he was rated in the bottom half of eligible tackles all season while as a guard he was consistently one of the best.

If Bears can manage to sign all 3 in Hicks, Freeman, and Gresham today. Major upgrades at ILB and DE with depth at TE (with the likely resigning of Miller)

Then trade Bennett for the highest possible pick (most likely a 6th) and release Rolle.