2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't get this...why the heck would we want to fire him now?

Yeah...I don't quite grasp. The team clearly hasn't quit and with all the injuries and backups playing, they are playing pretty competitive football against quality teams. I hope this trend continues cause I like the idea of continuity (albeit I clearly want Fangio around).

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)
I thought our offensive line has been +.

Give us a playcaller that knows to run the ball, legit tight ends, and revamped defensive backfield and we could be somewhere.

Honestly, can we really knock Loggains for getting 27 points with Barkley at the helm. I think if we all looked at our expectations of Barkley when he was first announced and then look at what he's done and talk about how well he's played, we can give Matt a ton of credit, but is it fair to ignore Loggains? It is so hard to know what Loggains is, given all the injuries, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
Yeah, it is really easy to argue that the Bears are a few plays and their starting line up away from the playoffs. They have quite literally given away three games they should have won even with this s*** squad they have had for the last half of the season.

The defense is a legitimate top 10 defense right now, even missing a couple of players.

Give the offense a quarterback, even an OK offensiveline, plus receivers that don't absolutely suck, this is a team that could win 10 games.

Fox has advanced this team a ton in just under two seasons.

The team has made strides, but there are a lot of missing parts still. I suppose if healthy, they could be a 10 win team if everything went right (and playing a last place schedule), but I think they have major gaps in the secondary and obviously major questionmarks offensively (LT QB is a huge mark). Defense is trending upwards, but we still have very few playmakers (that said, Floyd looks like a beast, which is fantastic).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
The team has made strides, but there are a lot of missing parts still. I suppose if healthy, they could be a 10 win team if everything went right (and playing a last place schedule), but I think they have major gaps in the secondary and obviously major questionmarks offensively (LT QB is a huge mark). Defense is trending upwards, but we still have very few playmakers (that said, Floyd looks like a beast, which is fantastic).

They need at least 10 more talented players up and down the roster. Thats still going to take more than one more year IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
They need at least 10 more talented players up and down the roster. Thats still going to take more than one more year IMO.

I agree, although depending on the QB situation, I would expect to see quite a few more wins next year (vs. this year).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)

There are a lot of parts missing. Add some play makers in key spots at the top, and you have a decent squad. This year has been about evaluating depth. We have found some on defense, and found backs on offense. Now you use the draft and cap room to build the top of the roster.

Hub Arkush reportedly made a comment that Jimmy G (of Patriots) would be the #1 overall pick in the draft (if he was eligible). Kind of a moot point all things considered and it doesn't mean his value is that (since whomever acquires him will also have to pay him a lot of money). We all know I'm very high on Jimmy G and would gladly give up our 2nd pick and a future 3rd round pick. I'd also be willing to dangle Jeffrey & picks as part of a package as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
Hub Arkush reportedly made a comment that Jimmy G (of Patriots) would be the #1 overall pick in the draft (if he was eligible). Kind of a moot point all things considered and it doesn't mean his value is that (since whomever acquires him will also have to pay him a lot of money). We all know I'm very high on Jimmy G and would gladly give up our 2nd pick and a future 3rd round pick. I'd also be willing to dangle Jeffrey & picks as part of a package as well.

The Bears lack so much talent at so many positions, to trade high picks for any one player is a mistake.

The idea of having a draft like Dallas did last year is incredibly tantalizing. The only pick for Dallas that hasn't really panned out yet was never going to play this year.

Give me draft picks any day of the week.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)
The Bears lack so much talent at so many positions, to trade high picks for any one player is a mistake.

The idea of having a draft like Dallas did last year is incredibly tantalizing. The only pick for Dallas that hasn't really panned out yet was never going to play this year.

Give me draft picks any day of the week.

Technically, if you look at the draft the Bears had, you have Whitehair, Howard, and Floyd...all of which if you did a redraft, probably are 1st round picks. PFF has Whitehair and Howard in their top 10 of all rookies (and I don't quite understand how Floyd is off the list, outside of maybe the slow start and time missed from injuries...but when you watch him, you see a guy who can be a totally dynamic pass rusher). No way of not saying the Bears 2016 draft (as of right now) is anything other then a big success.

The other guys:

Bullard - Inconsistent play. Coaches seem to be trying to get a little more push / want out of him. Jury still out

Deon Bush - Injured / Inconsistent play; For a 4th round pick, hard to expect greatness everywhere...but he's back on the field so we'll get a couple more weeks to see if he can flash some quality instincts / playmaking abilities

Kiatowski - Has looked solid, with some upside over the last 4 weeks of getting starts.

Other guys...nothing to highlight yet, but I wouldn't say we have any definitive busts either.

All in all, as of right now, I'd rank the Bears as having one of the best draft classes of 2016. That could change (for better or worse) but I like what I see right now.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 06:55 AM)
Am I the only one who likes Matt Barkley? I'm not sure he's the answer, but he certainly makes some plays and seems to have some poise on the field. I wouldn't mind the Bears keeping him around on a "prove it" one year starter deal and drafting a QB to be his understudy.

I'm keeping my mouth shut on him for now. I'd like to see him with receivers with hands. The drops are ridiculous.

Am I the only one who likes Matt Barkley? I'm not sure he's the answer, but he certainly makes some plays and seems to have some poise on the field. I wouldn't mind the Bears keeping him around on a "prove it" one year starter deal and drafting a QB to be his understudy.

I don't want to plan on Barkley, but I'd really really hate to let him go after his showing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Honestly, can we really knock Loggains for getting 27 points with Barkley at the helm. I think if we all looked at our expectations of Barkley when he was first announced and then look at what he's done and talk about how well he's played, we can give Matt a ton of credit, but is it fair to ignore Loggains? It is so hard to know what Loggains is, given all the injuries, etc.

I'll be the first to admit I am shocked at how well Barkley has played. I watched him in the initial game against GB? and thought oh man, this guy is immobile, has no arm, and generally has no clue what he is doing. Typical Bears backup.

I still think he's a backup, but he's certainly serviceable for me until we find our next QB.

As for the state of the team, I don't agree we are 10 talented players away. 10 talented players (at least my interpretation of what Rock means by "talented") means you are a playoff team, as far as I am concerned. I think we've got 5-6 already, with a few more on the cusp (Floyd, Howard). While we may lose 1-2 in Jeffery, Young, etc, I think if you can add a QB and maybe 3-4 pieces, you are in business. Keep adding to that and you're starting to build an elite roster (assuming one is a QB).

I don't love Fox as a coach, but he's done a lot of what we asked him to come in here and do.

Remember what this team was like in the last few games of the Trestman era.

Barkley has a terrible arm, and his accuracy has been ugly at times. That said, there is no reason he can't be a quality back up in this league. I don't want him as a starter, but no reason he can't pull a paycheck for a lot of years in the NFL.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
Yea the Matt Barkley hype can officially stop now.

The more they have opened up the playbook, the worst he has looked. He has zero arm strength so he has to anticipate where his receivers will be more than most. Most of his picks seem to be putting the ball into an area where the WR doesn't end up going.