If The Sox Moved

Doc Edwards Shot

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah man, what a get question. believe me when i say this, it is too early now for today to think this hard.

but considering my age, i would not be a baseball fan. i would be content knowing and experiencing the fact that the sox won the WS. i can die a happy man.

now this is a also a great what if, maybe, just maybe, if i was younger, i may switch to a different team. i don't know. maybe the ARZ team.

either way, i have my blackhawks, bull and Da Bears.

Super depressing question. I would probably just be a fan of the game at that point. It's possible I would follow them for a little bit. I would just start rooting for the various underdogs to win in the playoffs. I would actively root against the scrubs no matter what.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Super depressing question. I would probably just be a fan of the game at that point. It's possible I would follow them for a little bit. I would just start rooting for the various underdogs to win in the playoffs. I would actively root against the scrubs no matter what.

my kind of a fan. :headbang

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Honest question - what would be the benefit to moving to the suburbs?

I think the team would be more accessible to the casual suburban fan. Outside people like us on this board who are pretty die hard, I believe a big portion of Chicago/land are pretty casual fans. Yes winning cures everything (Hawks sold out, Cubs sell-outs, etc.) however, I do believe there would be a good number of extra butts in seats with a stadium in the burbs.

Me personally, I live in the city right now, and have no excuses, however when I try to get my friends who live in the burbs to go to a game I get a no 90% of the time, even when they are free tickets. Nobody likes to go to a game until 10pm, travel 60-90 mins, and fall asleep by midnight to be up the next morning for work.

A place in the burbs might cut that in half. Opens yourself to being a niche team. To get families, to get the casual fan.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
There has been a lot of conversation over the years about the time in the 1980s when Jerry was threatening to move the Sox to Tampa if he didn't get the city and state of IL to pay the bulk of the cost of the construction of "new" Comiskey Park (now U.S. Cellular Field).

If this were to ever happen again and the Sox actually moved like the St. Louis Rams are currently doing, what would you do?

Would you continue to follow the Sox remotely via a new TV premium package?

Would you switch to some other team?

Would you do the unthinkable and start following the Cubs since they would be the lone remaining team in the city?

I don't know what I would do other than take a little time off from baseball to think about it - kind of like a grieving widower who would need some time before starting to date again. ;)

Welcome to the reality that was being a White Sox fan circa 1986-1988, when pondering answers to these questions was all too real. Jerry Reinsdorf obviously had no trouble dragging the fan base through that torment while casting a black cloud over the franchise during that time period. But it was a means to an end for he and the investors, because it made them ultimately very wealthy in the end. It didn't, however, translate into turning the franchise into a sustainably winning one for the fans, which, therein lies the problem.

Time for a new owner.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Welcome to the reality that was being a White Sox fan circa 1986-1988, when pondering answers to these questions was all too real. Jerry Reinsdorf obviously had no trouble dragging the fan base through that torment while casting a black cloud over the franchise during that time period. But it was a means to an end for he and the investors, because it made them ultimately very wealthy in the end. It didn't, however, translate into turning the franchise into a sustainably winning one for the fans, which, therein lies the problem.

Time for a new owner.

What does yet another diatribe against Jerry Reinsdorf have to do with this particular thread?

Even tho I don't live there anymore...a lot would depend where they moved to. Who knows...hard to say at this point. Do people in St Louis still follow the AZ Cardinals? I'd still probably follow and be a fan since it's the team I know best. I still haven't "embraced" the Dbacks...and I live here. I think a lot has to do with just not being a fan of the National League for some reason. I might end up following one of the AL teams that play out here for spring training...who knows. I do like the Padres for some reason tho...I think it's my soft spot for the city of San Diego. I know the "purists" want to keep it the way it is...but it's about time the NL adopts the DH. That would sway my mind a little I think.

I would still follow the team, assuming they kept the name. I could never root for the Cubs, though I would probably have to go more games at Wrigley to get my baseball fix. And I'd probably pick a random NL team to root for, as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
Basically would probably become a fan of any team in local market, if there is such a thing wherever I wound up. Probably would care a lot less. If local area was somehow the Chicago market, go Cardinals.

+1

I grew up a Sonics fan as well so I know how this would work for me. I completely gave up on the sport when the Sonics were stolen. At first it was weird not paying any attention to the sport I followed for years, but after a couple seasons it became more and more of an afterthought. I suspect I would do the same if the White Sox ever left. I would probably fill the void by paying closer attention to MLS actually.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)

Time for a new owner.

answering this statement with the obvious pov. i was and did go thru this with the sox. however this is a valid secondary questions that needed to be ask. can or will the sox move from a very profitable situation to another area, and will it be just as successful. the owners really don't care, they care about the $$$$.

while that can be the next question, what will we, the die hard fans do without the sox.

I grew up in a Chicago Cardinals family. I was at their last home game when I was a young boy in 1959. As time marched on the old Chicago Cardinals fan base died off. This became a one team market/monopoly for the Bears in a metro area of 9 million people. If the White Sox move, eventually the White Sox fans will die off and they will become a distant memory like the Chicago Cardinals are now. The Cubs will have a identical situation like the Bears do now.

Edited by WBWSF

If they move, no way in hell would I be a Sox fan. I'd also feel very weird, like my whole life was a sham. The past wouldn't mean much if the team is in some other city. Sports are a big deal. I witnessed relatives screaming at each other in Sox vs. Cubs arguments. I actually was peacemaker in going to some Cub games with my grandfather as a kid since no other relatives would go with him.

If the Sox moved, that would be terrible. I'm almost positive I would not follow them at all. I doubt I'd start to root for the Cubs but I guess it's possible. Chicago is the key here.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
The stadium is pretty easily accessible from the burbs at its current location to be honest.

Not for me. I live in the NW suburbs and it takes me 2 hours each way. That's why I don't go to too many games. It's an all day affair.