Latos still has fluid on knee, might not make opening day

southsider2k5

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
I dunno, I think he's still an asshole. This just made him an asshole with fluid on his knee.

TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE.

I'm sure he is an ass but I'm willing to bet this had much more to do with his low contract demands than that did.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE.

I'm sure he is an ass but I'm willing to bet this had much more to do with his low contract demands than that did.

I'm still under the impression that he signed here for far less than what his offers were elsewhere?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
I dunno, I think he's still an asshole. This just made him an asshole with fluid on his knee.

But he's our asshole! :lol:

Anyone else slightly concerned about the Sox rotation depth? Beck is coming back from ulnar nerve transposition offseason surgery (I have no clue if that's serious or not) and now Latos is possibly going to miss opening day. Other than Johnson, the Sox rotation depth looks absolutely terrible. Are Carroll, Turley, Haviland, and Sherik really the options they are left with? You can't count on guys like Danish or Guerrero because they most likely not ready yet (especially Danish).

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)

Anyone else slightly concerned about the Sox rotation depth? Beck is coming back from ulnar nerve transposition offseason surgery (I have no clue if that's serious or not) and now Latos is possibly going to miss opening day. Other than Johnson, the Sox rotation depth looks absolutely terrible. Are Carroll, Turley, Haviland, and Sherik really the options they are left with? You can't count on guys like Danish or Guerrero because they most likely not ready yet (especially Danish).

I have no clue who those last three are....Charlie Shirek, Bob Turley and Olivia de Haviland?

Well, they do have Aumont as well. For what that's worth, probably not much. Edit: forgot about Turner.

And here all along the diminished velocity/stuff rumors seemed to be the biggest issues of the last couple of years, as he also had shoulder problems. One could surmise he hurt his knee by compensating trying to get more hop on his fastball. That and he's a pretty big guy, lots of additional stress on the knees/legs/ankles.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)

Jacob Turner will be fighting with Erik Johnson if that 5th starter spot opens up.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 21, 2016 -> 05:49 AM)
Is it still a low risk high reward signing? :P

well for me, i rather not voice my opinion or negative rant. however.....

i look at the positive of this, if there is any, the sox usually have a 4 man rotation in the beginning of the season. next, the sox usually as with the rest of the teams, really need a #5 started sometime in late may but definitely in that late july and aug months.

so this can be a introduction to ej to the games and if he falters, they will have latos rehabbing and will if he condition improves, will be able to help this team.

i will still said, with this happening to latos, i will now look at getting another fa-sp.

Edited by LDF

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat_Latos

He's really struggled with that left knee for two full years now. 90 cubic centimeters of fluid drained early in 2014. Apparently it's cartilage and not ligament related, but it seems to have not healed 100% and perhaps has deteriorated over time.

Also had to deal with bone chips in his elbow and an abdominal strain over the last two years.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 21, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
So I really haven't seen much else said about the fluid on the knee from other writers. Only place it's come up is daily Herald. Not sure how much I can buy into this

The Chicago media crew is worthless when it comes to reporting stuff like this. If the team didn't tell them to report it, they probably won't.