2004-2006 Potential Free Agents

JUGGERNAUT

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/baseball/artic...2254823,00.html

A more detailed article on who owe's what & what each team is likely to do.

CHICAGO would like to lower its payroll, so it won't try to re-sign second baseman Roberto Alomar or outfielder Carl Everett. But the White Sox do want to keep right-hander Bartolo Colon, and with no heir apparent at shortstop, they figure to pick up a $5 million option on Jose Valentin. If first baseman Frank Thomas decides to stay, the Sox probably will have to move a right-handed hitter from a group that includes Magglio Ordoqez (due $14 million in 2004), Paul Konerko ($6.375 million) and Carlos Lee ( arbitration-eligible).

CHICAGO isn't blinking at agent Adam Katz's indication that outfielder Sammy Sosa will test the free-agent market instead of exercising options worth $37.5 million over the next two years. The Cubs get some salary room with free agency for first baseman Eric Karros and second baseman Mark Grudzielanek, but the odds are they can't afford right-hander Kerry Wood, in line for a multiyear deal a year before free agency, and right-hander Matt Clement, who has a $6 million option.

What Val gave up for the SOX:

Sure, Valentin is still getting a bundle of cash. He'll make $5 million a year, and the deal includes a $5 million team option for 2004 with a $500,000 buyout.

But he could have had more. The Baltimore Orioles offered him a four-year deal worth a reported $21.4 million, and two other clubs also were willing to pay him more money.

I beleive he had a total of 527 in 2002 & he had 531 in 2003.

So he needs 42 in the next 12 gms.

It's not a given he'll get it. Manuel is sure to sit him against LH's.

LH's they will likely face:

Rogers, Gobble, Anderson, Wells, Anderson, Mays

I'll give him 12 in these 6 for late & extra innings.

That leaves 30 in 6 gms.

It will be very close.

Ok so he needs 42 AB's to trigge that option. Graff ain't with da team for the series against Minny, So Jose is likely to play the next 2 games against Minny. So that eliminates Rogers. So he'll have bout 6 to 8 AB's for the next 2 games, which will bring down that trigger to 34 AB's. With bout 10 games after that, I don't think he'll get it either since we prob. won't make da playoffs. He'd hav to play every game to probably get it, and I can't see that happening, especially against LH pitching.