Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
Am I dick for disagreeing that he's a great father? Having your kid hangout in a baseball clubhouse and take standardized tests doesn't teach him anything. He's 14. And while I don't really agree with homeschooling either, he should be either home-schooled or at a school somewhere. It's just a really weird thing. Good riddance.

I get what you are saying, but what is a 14 year old going to learn about the real world hanging out in a baseball clubhouse?

Rosenthal:

Just talked to ‪#‎White‬ Sox president Ken Williams. Here is what he told me about LaRoche:

"There has been no policy change with regards to allowance of kids in the clubhouse, on the field, the back fields during spring training. This young man that we're talking about, Drake, everyone loves this young man. In no way do I want this to be about him.

"I asked Adam, said, 'Listen, our focus, our interest, our desire this year is to make sure we give ourselves every opportunity to focus on a daily basis on getting better. All I'm asking you to do with regard to bringing your kid to the ballpark is dial it back.'

"I don't think he should be here 100 percent of the time - and he has been here 100 percent, every day, in the clubhouse. I said that I don't even think he should be here 50 percent of the time. Figure it out, somewhere in between.

"We all think his kid is a great young man. I just felt it should not be every day, that's all. You tell me, where in this country can you bring your child to work every day?

"I respect the man and his decision. I can't disagree with what (Blaine Boyer) said about Adam as a person. But I take exception to the 'evil' part."

Boyer said of LaRoche earlier: "He is an unbelievable husband, an unbelievable father, a friend you can only dream of.

"I honestly think this is between good and evil. I know which side Adam lives on. I'm thankful to see the way he's acting. It's an unbelievable test of who he is, the husband he is, the father he is."

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
Maybe they saw first hand that the kid was a distraction.

I'm gonna start bringing my unemployed college roommate to work with me because I like having him around and then call my company evil when they tell me to stop. #FriendshipFirst

He didn't call the White Sox evil. The guy loves his son so much he walked away from $13 million in 6 months to be able to spend more time with him. If more fathers had a fraction of that desire to be with their kids, the world would be a much better place.

I just think it is bad to change the policy in the middle of spring training. You gave the kid a locker and a uniform, now you say he can't come in? Unless he did something dreadful, that seems to me to be a bit petty, and using the kid to try to punish or whatever to LaRoche is weak. From the articles I linked, the kid is supposed to be a real good kid who knew his place, and he wasn't in the clubhouse and on the field all the time. He was limited.

As I stated, the new policy is fine, but if it was used as some sort of weapon against LaRoche, that, IMO, is wrong. LaRoche walked away. Good for him. I think most would not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
David Haugh

4 mins ·

Twitter

·

If Adam LaRoche indeed retired from ‪#‎WhiteSox‬ cuz team said he couldn't have teenage son around anymore, he was looking for reason to leave.

I agree. This was probably what tipped it in for him. I couldn't imagine him wanting to throw away $13 million because of this alone.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Ozzie ‏@oguillenjr 1m1 minute ago

@Ken_Rosenthal what a joke kids were around in 2005. Kids in club house are great. Excuses lol what ever still will win 80 games lol

Ha. Least surprising tweet ever.

The Sox were trying to tread lightly with this for a while but just couldnt take it anymore when it didnt change.

I think I am going to see if my job will let it slide that I bring my 4 year old to work everyday. I am a great man, great husband and father too.

@Ken_Rosenthal what a joke kids were around in 2005. Kids in club house are great. Excuses lol what ever still will win 80 games lol

And if the Guillen family doesn't serve as example of what having your kids around too much can do to a team, I don't know what will.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
He didn't call the White Sox evil. The guy loves his son so much he walked away from $13 million in 6 months to be able to spend more time with him. If more fathers had a fraction of that desire to be with their kids, the world would be a much better place.

I just think it is bad to change the policy in the middle of spring training. You gave the kid a locker and a uniform, now you say he can't come in? Unless he did something dreadful, that seems to me to be a bit petty, and using the kid to try to punish or whatever to LaRoche is weak. From the articles I linked, the kid is supposed to be a real good kid who knew his place, and he wasn't in the clubhouse and on the field all the time. He was limited.

As I stated, the new policy is fine, but if it was used as some sort of weapon against LaRoche, that, IMO, is wrong. LaRoche walked away. Good for him. I think most would not.

Sounds like Drake's presence was no longer limited, according to KW today.

He didn't call the Sox evil but he's clearly telling his friends they're persecuting him or some nonsense.

Thank god we got his opinion.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
It sounds as if LaRoche has signed his retirement papers but the White Sox have not sent them in. It gives him a chance to reconsider

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/710187638469304322

I think there is a good chance he retracts them to be honest.

And it is going to be the weirdest thing when it happens. LOL

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
I think there is a good chance he retracts them to be honest.

And it is going to be the weirdest thing when it happens. LOL

I highly doubt it, especially with him leaking what caused it.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Relax. It will blow over quickly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Not at all

I agree with the White Sox and you. But the defense of LaRoche on Twitter by players, fans, media personalities, etc. makes us look bad