Vacation/Travel Thread

Texsox

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Just returned from our trip to Europe! What a fantastic time! Stayed in some amazing hotels, gorgeous views, amazing food, enjoyed a lot of different places. Learned a lot for next time as well.

Glad you had a great time! And yea, international travel gets a lot easier/better when you learn what you want and how to get it better through experiences.

Share some pics!

Went to Seattle for 2 nights and Portland for 3 nights from Thur-Tue, had a great time. Seattle was kind of meh for me, glad I saw it and had some beautiful views, but don't think I would go back.

Portland on the other hand, absolutely loved that city. Both places had great food and drinks but the vibe in Portland was a lot better. Went on some hikes and had a really fun time on the Eagle Creek trail going out to Punchbowl Ridge. The sheer green/nature just a bit outside Portland was great, wish I had more time to check it out.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 11, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
Went to Seattle for 2 nights and Portland for 3 nights from Thur-Tue, had a great time. Seattle was kind of meh for me, glad I saw it and had some beautiful views, but don't think I would go back.

Portland on the other hand, absolutely loved that city. Both places had great food and drinks but the vibe in Portland was a lot better. Went on some hikes and had a really fun time on the Eagle Creek trail going out to Punchbowl Ridge. The sheer green/nature just a bit outside Portland was great, wish I had more time to check it out.

Hey I was on that trail last summer!

We enjoyed Portland, but we loved Bend. If you're into basically any outdoor activity that doesn't involve the ocean, you can find it there.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 11, 2017 -> 07:48 AM)
Seattle was kind of meh for me, glad I saw it and had some beautiful views, but don't think I would go back.

Well you obviously should have reached out to a fellow Soxtalker to get the scoop on what to do and where to go. Shame on you. :P

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 11, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Well you obviously should have reached out to a fellow Soxtalker to get the scoop on what to do and where to go. Shame on you. :P

I was visiting a buddy from college with some other friends (one who had grown up in Seattle), so was banking on their knowledge ;)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 11, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
Hey I was on that trail last summer!

We enjoyed Portland, but we loved Bend. If you're into basically any outdoor activity that doesn't involve the ocean, you can find it there.

The trail was really cool, wish we had more time/were in better shape to go farther. I have a buddy who went to Bend and loved it, once I realized what that place was I really want to go out there. Hiking and craft beer, what's not to like?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 11, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
Leaving on our honeymoon at the end of the month. All inclusive in Mexico, anything we should pack that you normally wouldn't think about? Got sunscreen and bug spray for sure, trying to think of other things that would be really useful

Lube.

Congrats!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
Leaving on our honeymoon at the end of the month. All inclusive in Mexico, anything we should pack that you normally wouldn't think about? Got sunscreen and bug spray for sure, trying to think of other things that would be really useful

What resort you heading to? First time to an all inclusive?

I usually bring a bunch of $1's, about $150-200 if we're there for 7 nights. They say tips are included in the price, but you really can get some great service all week by tipping. Goes a long way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
Lube.

Congrats!

Way ahead of you buddy lol. Thanks

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
What resort you heading to? First time to an all inclusive?

I usually bring a bunch of $1's, about $150-200 if we're there for 7 nights. They say tips are included in the price, but you really can get some great service all week by tipping. Goes a long way.

Playa Del Carmen area, it is a brand new resort. It will be our first time at an all-inclusive. I heard about bringing a lot of 1's so we will plan on doing that!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 11, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
Way ahead of you buddy lol. Thanks

Playa Del Carmen area, it is a brand new resort. It will be our first time at an all-inclusive. I heard about bringing a lot of 1's so we will plan on doing that!

Check out the Kaxapa Factory in PDC, fantastic Venezuelan restaurant, the family is great. Lots of fun.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 14, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
Does anyone have any recommendations for Portland, Seattle or Vancouver.

Hitting up all 3 cities next week for a vacation....

Portland -

Tidbit food farm (food cart pod with beer garden)

Forest Park trail to Pittock Mansion (great view of the city from the top)

Multnomah Falls (its about 30 min away from the city but it has cool waterfalls and trails)

The Oregon Public House (worlds first non-profit brewery)

Seattle -

Fremont Brewery

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 14, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
Does anyone have any recommendations for Portland, Seattle or Vancouver.

Hitting up all 3 cities next week for a vacation....

Seattle: Bainbridge Island is a nice ferry ride and really pretty place to check out, but I would recommend planning what you want to do before going. We ended up grabbing dinner and it took forever so did that and saw a really nice park and that was it.

Checkout Kerry Park for a sunset on a clear day, beautiful view.

Starbucks Reserve is a little touristy but damn they make good coffee there, if you're going to do a Starbucks thing I would go there. The "first" Starbucks down by Pike Market is just busy and nothing really special.

I would also check out Pike Brewing, pretty fun place.

Portland:

Eagle Creek Trail is gorgeous, highly recommend. Maybe research some of the other trails in that area because it is picturesque out there.

Tugboat Brewing - super laid back, decent beer. We went in right at open (4pm) and played some of the board games for a few hours as we drank. Also, beer/cider was $4/each.

Definitely check out Powell's bookstore/Pearl District/food trucks. It's a fun experience.

Go to Tasty and Alder, a little touristy but amazing brunch.

There is a Whiskey Library that looked amazing, but you have to make a reservation a day or two ahead. If that's your thing, I would recommend it.

Deschutes is a must IMO, great beer and food to match. Just allow some time for a wait (I think we waited 45 minutes). You can grab a beer or there was a slightly less busy place across the street that had good drinks.

Enjoy!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
Blue Star Donuts in Portland was really good

We went to Voodoo (a friend woke up really early and brought back a dozen for the group). They were good but nothing special (except for the Maple Bacon Bar - drooling just thinking of it). Blue Star looked good but didn't go there.

If you every end up in the Alberta Arts District, this place was amazing.

If you want to get out and do some hiking, some of the stops along the Columbia River Gorge mentioned above are good, and Mt. Hood isn't too far away either.

If you're driving between Portland and Seattle and depending on how much you like outdoors stuff, Mt. St Helens would be worth a detour. Didn't really have a sense of the scale of destruction until I saw it in person, and that' still 30+ years later. Really amazing.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 15, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
We went to Voodoo (a friend woke up really early and brought back a dozen for the group). They were good but nothing special (except for the Maple Bacon Bar - drooling just thinking of it). Blue Star looked good but didn't go there.

If you every end up in the Alberta Arts District, this place was amazing.

Yeah we had heard Voodoo was kinda gimmicky. Blue Star is more "artisan" donuts but man they were amazing. Line down the block before they even opened when we went there.

Seattle:

A bit of a drive down I-90 but Snoqualamie Falls is pretty neat to check out especially if you're a Twin Peaks fan. You can do some short hikes while there.

People swear about this place but I'm vegan so never went.

Discovery Park is awesome. It's in the city and has a bunch of trails that go through forests and waterfront with a lighthouse. Stunning views of the Olympic Mountains on a clear day.

Lots of great breweries.

The Museum of Pop Culture is fun to check out. It's right by the Space Needle in case you wanted to see that too.

EDIT: Try to check out a Mariners game if they're in town. Great ballpark and there are plenty of bars/restaurants in the neighborhood for before and after the game.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 15, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
Seattle:

A bit of a drive down I-90 but Snoqualamie Falls is pretty neat to check out especially if you're a Twin Peaks fan. You can do some short hikes while there.

People swear about this place but I'm vegan so never went.

Discovery Park is awesome. It's in the city and has a bunch of trails that go through forests and waterfront with a lighthouse. Stunning views of the Olympic Mountains on a clear day.

Lots of great breweries.

The Museum of Pop Culture is fun to check out. It's right by the Space Needle in case you wanted to see that too.

EDIT: Try to check out a Mariners game if they're in town. Great ballpark and there are plenty of bars/restaurants in the neighborhood for before and after the game.

I'm going to be in Seattle for two days for work next week. We're staying in Pioneer Square. Any particularly interesting restaurants or places in the vicinity? Won't have more than a couple hours a night to get to see the city

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 17, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm going to be in Seattle for two days for work next week. We're staying in Pioneer Square. Any particularly interesting restaurants or places in the vicinity? Won't have more than a couple hours a night to get to see the city

Check out any of these places just north of Pioneer Square (Walking distance or a quick Lyft):

Von's 1000 Spirits

The Triple Door if there's someone interesting playing. They serve food from the Wild Ginger which is pretty awesome.

Japonessa for sushi

Radiator Whiskey

Also, Pyramid Ale House across from SafeCo is a decent brewpub/sports bar.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
Going to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this summer (staying in Driggs, Idaho). Anyone have any recommendations for specific tour companies to either park? And just general recommendations to do around the Jackson, Wyoming area?

We've been there three times. Get out and walk. Once you hike a 1/4 mile from the road you lose 90% of the crowd. We really enjoyed the Mammoth Hot Spring area.