Airport Security

greg775

QUOTE (shipps @ May 20, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Maybe if airlines starting charging for carry-on's INSTEAD of charging for check-in bags we can alleviate people having all these damn bags for carry-on and lines will go a hell of a lot faster.

Spirit already does this, so you can fly that airline if you want.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Spirit already does this, so you can fly that airline if you want.

Ha, that is probably the one thing that airline does right.

Seriously, if they would all do that it would help and not to mention make more sense in my world.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 20, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Maybe if airlines starting charging for carry-on's INSTEAD of charging for check-in bags we can alleviate people having all these damn bags for carry-on and lines will go a hell of a lot faster.

NEVER! I will pack for a week trip in carry-ons if I can to avoid checked baggage at Midway.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 20, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)

I actually have the size carryon that a carryon was designed to be. It's basically a hard duffel bag. Not one of those real long duffel bags, either. Bigger than a briefcase of course. It can fit shirts up to six days, only one pair of alternate pants. Six days worth of sox, underwear, one pair of shoes (now it's getting tight), dob-kit for bathroom stuff. Those f***ing pieces of luggage designed as carryons are the problem.

It's funny cause on SW Airlines I pay extra to get in the A group. Usually if I am, let's say, A-40 (out of 60) you'll get on the plane and the first 10 or more rows each have three of those huge luggage carryons in each bin. Filled. If I can't get the exit row (just one exit row on SW now is roomier than any other rows) then I take the aisle around the exit row even with a good number. But the luggage companies creating those "carry-ons" have caused the havoc. I have proven u can fit a lot of s*** in a regular duffel carryon.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2016 -> 11:40 PM)
I actually have the size carryon that a carryon was designed to be. It's basically a hard duffel bag. Not one of those real long duffel bags, either. Bigger than a briefcase of course. It can fit shirts up to six days, only one pair of alternate pants. Six days worth of sox, underwear, one pair of shoes (now it's getting tight), dob-kit for bathroom stuff. Those f***ing pieces of luggage designed as carryons are the problem.

It's funny cause on SW Airlines I pay extra to get in the A group. Usually if I am, let's say, A-40 (out of 60) you'll get on the plane and the first 10 or more rows each have three of those huge luggage carryons in each bin. Filled. If I can't get the exit row (just one exit row on SW now is roomier than any other rows) then I take the aisle around the exit row even with a good number. But the luggage companies creating those "carry-ons" have caused the havoc. I have proven u can fit a lot of s*** in a regular duffel carryon.

And the crazy part is Southwest checked bags are free. I fly AA and Delta a lot for work and it's almost as bad. For some reason Southwest is the worst.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 23, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
And the crazy part is Southwest checked bags are free. I fly AA and Delta a lot for work and it's almost as bad. For some reason Southwest is the worst.

Depends on the plane though. The newer remodeled SWA flights (not the ones Greg is taking) can fit the largest carry ons with the wheels out with no issue. So if you are A-B there should be plenty of room. I am always A and I never do not have bin space.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 23, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)

I've had the opposite experience. On Southwest, even on the very rare occasion that I'm in C, I haven't had too much trouble finding overhead space somewhere. Because Southwest lets you check the bags for free, I see a lot fewer people trying to bring on bags that should clearly be checked. It's one of the reasons that I hate flying AA and Delta...

The only downside with Southwest is that if you don't have their credit card, your flight options are more limited if you want to use your points for international travel. They've started doing the Caribbean and some Central American places, but it'd be nice to be able to use my points to go to Europe or something.

Southwest may eventually start to expand their international repertoire. When I travel overseas, I almost always use a foreign carrier, AA and United are horrible. I haven't had more experience with NWA or Delta though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 24, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
The only downside with Southwest is that if you don't have their credit card, your flight options are more limited if you want to use your points for international travel. They've started doing the Caribbean and some Central American places, but it'd be nice to be able to use my points to go to Europe or something.

I don't follow.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 24, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
I don't follow.

If you have their credit card, you can exchange your points to use on other carriers, e.g. one of my coworkers used his SW points to fly his family to Italy last year (we fly SW a lot at my work). I don't have the credit card, so if I want to use my points, I can only use them on SW.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 24, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
If you have their credit card, you can exchange your points to use on other carriers, e.g. one of my coworkers used his SW points to fly his family to Italy last year (we fly SW a lot at my work). I don't have the credit card, so if I want to use my points, I can only use them on SW.

I have their credit card and I had no idea that I could exchange my points for other carriers. Thanks.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 24, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)
Southwest is the best domestic airline hands down. This is fact.

They seem to do a nice job of getting you where you need to go if you miss a connection, etc.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 24, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
Southwest may eventually start to expand their international repertoire. When I travel overseas, I almost always use a foreign carrier, AA and United are horrible. I haven't had more experience with NWA or Delta though.

What's the best airline to take from KC to Honolulu?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
They seem to do a nice job of getting you where you need to go if you miss a connection, etc.

What's the best airline to take from KC to Honolulu?

I have no idea. My guess is you'll have to transfer at a bigger hub and fly from there.

What options do you have in KC? I'm assuming AA and UA atleast.

Last Friday morning the lines at DIA were the longest I had ever seen, but it moved fast. Probably was only about 45 min-hour total. There was literally no wait to go through security at the San Fran airport on Monday night.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
Looks like Dallas police or airport security took someone out today at Dallas Love Field.

Reports are the guy had a large rock and was walking towards the officer. You can hear them light it up.

Because a guy was threatening with a rock.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
Reports are the guy had a large rock and was walking towards the officer. You can hear them light it up.

Because a guy was threatening with a rock.

Where's the common sense? You don't shut down an airport because of some asshole with a rock.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
Where's the common sense? You don't shut down an airport because of some asshole with a rock.

What if he was creating a diversion for someone else to get past security with a bomb? They said in the chaos that people did run pass the checkpoint.

If you're talking about "lighting someone up" who's threatening with a rock, I too am curious about the logistics.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 07:31 AM)
Anybody fly out of O'hare the last few weeks? From what I've heard the TSA lines are back to normal for the most part, no more 2 hour lines.

I went out last week and they were giving everyone the tsa precheck treatment - shoes on, laptops in your bag, liquids in your bag, etc.

Sooo much faster.