White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Knuckles @ May 28, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
Let's take a breather, if I told you before the season, Sox are trading EJ and Tatis JR (who?) for Shields because they are 27-23 you would probably say HELL YEAH.

I would say that after Shields couldn't keep the ball in the park last year, he would be a bad fit here

QUOTE (Knuckles @ May 28, 2016 -> 05:38 PM)
Let's take a breather, if I told you before the season, Sox are trading EJ and Tatis JR (who?) for Shields because they are 27-23 you would probably say HELL YEAH.

I would of said NO he has a terrible contract.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
I would say that after Shields couldn't keep the ball in the park last year, he would be a bad fit here

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 28, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
I would of said NO he has a terrible contract.

fair enough. Let's see what comes of it.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)

Not only what you said but the contract pretty much cripples any other additions for the year. Maybe Morneau if he can get healthy for July but can the Sox hang in the race til then ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
Not only what you said but the contract pretty much cripples any other additions for the year. Maybe Morneau if he can get healthy for July but can the Sox hang in the race til then ?

Not only crippled this year but next year also

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)

LaRoche retiring frees up 13M they already had budgeted to spend. If the team is still in contention in July, there is no reason they shouldn't be able to add another piece.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2016 -> 05:38 PM)
So much for adding the hitter we actually need about 2-3X as much...

Well, then again, if Carson Fulmer's not to be counted on for 2017, they have to do SOMETHING, but this isn't the first move that comes to mind.

He's owed like $60 mill; should be able to get him for his salary if you must have him.

15:$10M, 16:$21M, 17:$21M, 18:$21M, 19:$16M club option ($2M buyout)

perks: hotel suite on road

deal does not include no-trade clause, but Shields may opt out of contract after 2016 season (no later than 3 days after World Series)

$44 million, plus $14 million this year.

$58 million total. Would still be one of the five biggest contracts in Sox history.

Now it's getting REALLY infuriating they didn't add that hitter in the offseason when they had the opportunity to do so. (Of course, with the White Sox luck, it would have been Gordon instead of Cespedes/Fowler/Desmond and we'd be stuck with another bad deal.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
15:$10M, 16:$21M, 17:$21M, 18:$21M, 19:$16M club option ($2M buyout)

perks: hotel suite on road

deal does not include no-trade clause, but Shields may opt out of contract after 2016 season (no later than 3 days after World Series)

$44 million, plus $14 million this year.

$58 million total. Would still be one of the five biggest contracts in Sox history.

I can't see us doing that unless SD throws in money no way he opts out of $20 mill/yr