White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)
Yeah, they were so wrong on Abreu, Quintana, Eaton (trade but he was a rookie), Sale, etc.

They were wrong on everyone else. Their success rate is those guys and nobody else up to this point. Everyone else has been a total disaster since 2010-11. They always pick the wrong guys. It is like the players forget how to play baseball when they put on a Sox uni, then magically remember when they get traded away for a bag of heavily used jock straps.

Abreu's back close to being back again as a good hitter, but what would he fetch in the trade market right now, compared to after the 2014 season? He is a liability defensively, so his main value would be in the AL as a DH. That has value, but not as much as some would think. And, for a one-dimension player, his contract value because of the arbitration years starting will erode that value further.

Jose Quintana. We can't even score more than 1 run for Q, so, even if he merits consideration for the Cy Young at the moment DESPITE having 7 consecutive losses, he's also not going to get back the return the Braves got with Shelby Miller in all likelihood.

Eaton has been the one win, that's basically it. Santiago was worth more last season, arguably, but Eaton has become one of the most valuable players in baseball. At least untll the grind of playing meaningless games gets to him in the 2nd half.

And I notice we're not even listing Rodon as a "positive" anymore.

Edited by caulfield12

Everyone saw this coming. People that do other things for a living and casually pay attention to baseball saw this coming.

What did Erik Johnson do to this FO and why do they believe someone's name entitles them to $9m/per while guys making 5% of that are deemed useless almost immediately.

This was the straw that broke the camel's back.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
And I notice we're not even listing Rodon as a "positive" anymore.

A mentally challenged jackass could have made that pick. You had to be willing to pay over slot to get him. Astros/Marlins were not, so on to the Sox he goes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
Look at some of the recent winners around baseball (even tonight).

Junior Guerra was in our system and let go. Anyone could have had Dustin McGowan. Feldman with the Astros.

Yovanni Gallardo. Lincecum. Edinson Volquez. Colby Lewis.

The only pitcher that might have been a WORSE decision than Shields was/is arguably Ubaldo Jimenez. Even the O's announcers really detest him.

Statistically, it's almost impossible for scouts and a GM to be so wrong so often.

Actually Ubaldo is like a worse version of Javy Vazquez. He'll throw 4 innings of no hit ball then give up 7 runs the next inning.

Shields is worse because he's a gas can from the first pitch every time.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 11:36 PM)
Everyone saw this coming. People that do other things for a living and casually pay attention to baseball saw this coming.

What did Erik Johnson do to this FO and why do they believe someone's name entitles them to $9m/per while guys making 5% of that are deemed useless almost immediately.

They just made the decision he didn't have the stuff to get big league hitters out, without even giving him an entire season to see if he could improve as a 5th starter. Very possible he could've developed into a #3/4 if they had patience with him. Certain players in this organization get ridiculous amounts of chances at the major league level while others get one or two brief appearances in the majors before they are thrown to the scrap heap.

Edited by soxforlife05

Today, James Shields can become the second starter in #MLB history to allow at least 7 R in 5 IP or less in four straight starts. #whitesox

Looking at those early starts though, he actually produced like the workhorse who had made at least 30 starts and pitched at least 200 innings every season since 2007. Where that guy has gone and how he'll get it back are the main concerns now of the White Sox, and they need answers fast. Not only to help stop the bleeding in the standings, but to justify paying him $27 million of the $58 million he's owed over the next two seasons.

Every direction you turn, this trade looks a lot uglier for general manager Rick Hahn, but all he can do is hope for the best.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-000932589.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-fantasy-s...-041901671.html

This may sound dumb but will Shields retire if he has another ridiculous start or two? I mean cmon. He's WAY worse than Danks. He's actually worse than Latos. Will he retire? It's not out of the realm of possibility he's done. The amount of money he makes is kind of inconsequential right now. I mean he can't get anybody out in the big leagues. Would he agree to a month-long minor league rest/rehab? I want him the hell off the MLB roster.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 02:19 AM)
This may sound dumb but will Shields retire if he has another ridiculous start or two? I mean cmon. He's WAY worse than Danks. He's actually worse than Latos. Will he retire? It's not out of the realm of possibility he's done. The amount of money he makes is kind of inconsequential right now. I mean he can't get anybody out in the big leagues. Would he agree to a month-long minor league rest/rehab? I want him the hell off the MLB roster.

He would probably just opt out after the season and retire if it's going to happen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 01:53 AM)
Today, James Shields can become the second starter in #MLB history to allow at least 7 R in 5 IP or less in four straight starts. #whitesox

I believe that unlike when they shielded Dunn from baseball immortality, Jimbo will have every opportunity to make baseball history in Boston on Thursday. Buy your tickets to the only homerun derby that will count in the standings.

This guy really passed a medical? That's what blows my mind. Or he is pitching like he left something turned on at home and needs to get back in a hurry. This may turn out to be the worst trade in Sox history.

To be fair until their is a diagnosis of what is going wrong it is difficult to see who this should be fully pinned on. Certainly everyone takes some of the blame, but Shields is suddenly infinitely worst than in the weeks before the trade.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)

It's really mind boggling to me that Hahn could give up basically 3 pitchers (Danks, Latos and Erik Johnson ) for one who makes more than all of them combined for a longer commitment who has been worse than all of them. Granted none of them was setting the world on fire. But holy s*** Shields has been so, so , so, so, so bad he's making those 3 look much better. All we can do at this point is pray for a miracle that he somehow figures out some way to get better.

My one word response I posted when it was just a rumor was NOOOO !

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 03:19 AM)

In his career, James Shields has made $49 million. He has over $50 million remaining on his contract that he would lose if he retired. His career earnings will double in the next 2.5 years. He will make you buy his deal out to get him off your roster and it's the right move. If you want him off your roster, you either get him onto the DL or you pay the rest.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
In his career, James Shields has made $49 million. He has over $50 million remaining on his contract that he would lose if he retired. His career earnings will double in the next 2.5 years. He will make you buy his deal out to get him off your roster and it's the right move. If you want him off your roster, you either get him onto the DL or you pay the rest.

I guess at some point then you have to put him in the bullpen and pitch him when the Sox are down, 8-1 or something. It's dangerous to keep trotting him out there with MLB hitters scorching his offerings.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
I guess at some point then you have to put him in the bullpen and pitch him when the Sox are down, 8-1 or something. It's dangerous to keep trotting him out there with MLB hitters scorching his offerings.

My first try would be to skip his start on Thursday and try to give him a few days to get his head together somehow. No I have no idea who would actually pitch that day, but after this 4 game stretch I'd say at least try something to shake him out of this. With the money the franchise committed to him, you've got to keep trying to start him - if you moved him to the pen it's like a 1 week demotion at best. Skip a start, give him some extra time, and if he still is falling apart then say he's throwing from a tired arm and try to get him onto the DL until the all star break?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 02:53 AM)

Looking at those early starts though, he actually produced like the workhorse who had made at least 30 starts and pitched at least 200 innings every season since 2007. Where that guy has gone and how he'll get it back are the main concerns now of the White Sox, and they need answers fast. Not only to help stop the bleeding in the standings, but to justify paying him $27 million of the $58 million he's owed over the next two seasons.

Every direction you turn, this trade looks a lot uglier for general manager Rick Hahn, but all he can do is hope for the best.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-000932589.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-fantasy-s...-041901671.html

You of all people will forget to name drop Jose Contreras?

Shields joins Alex Fernandez (1991), Vern Kennedy (1936-37) and Sugar Cain (1936) as White Sox pitchers who have allowed six-plus runs over four straight starts. He became the first Major League pitcher to yield 31 earned runs over a four-start stretch since Jose Contreras with the White Sox from July 15-31, 2007, according to STATS.

I would say skipping his start at the next chance (when there is an off day) is the most logical thing. Time in the bullpen could make some sense, but it's tough to control when he gets to pitch (how do you predict the next blowout?) and you can't risk him in a competitive game. You can only DL him if there is something resembling an injury going on.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
I would say skipping his start at the next chance (when there is an off day) is the most logical thing. Time in the bullpen could make some sense, but it's tough to control when he gets to pitch (how do you predict the next blowout?) and you can't risk him in a competitive game. You can only DL him if there is something resembling an injury going on.

We've seen enough pitchers go to the DL with "tired arms/shoulder soreness" that I think they could probably get him through unless he absolutely refused, and if he's absolutely refusing things suggested by the organization while still getting shelled like this then there are much bigger problems.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
You of all people will forget to name drop Jose Contreras?

He was my favorite player in 2005, so I'm not going to hold it against him.

Plus, he was probably 37-38 years old by that time.

Edited by caulfield12

The Sox just need to concede that they got played by SD. This was a monumentally stupid signing that many fans saw right from the start.

He's now at a 26.83 ERA over his last 4 starts (23.05 for the Sox). The guy is done and he's a sunk cost.

Stick his sorry ass in the pen for mop up duty and don't move him until he can prove he can pitch more than 4 innings without giving up more than a run an inning.

This is ridiculous.

At 34 - you're not going to "fix him". It's doubtful he's going to listen to anyone anyway.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2...h-padres-trade/

The irony here is that Shields had two choices at the time of the Padres' deal.

Guess who was #2? Of course, the Cubs and Maddon. Except for the Schwarber injury, they've been leading a charmed life.

Btw, this idea of him opting out seems more laughable than it was when this article was written just two weeks ago.

Third, the Padres hold onto Shields through this trade deadline, bank on him opting out of this mess (Fowler’s comments might’ve actually helped those hopes) and receive both a compensation pick for a qualifying offer and a $42 million savings over the next two years.

Sigh.

The Padres can certainly save some face if Shields still opts out after this season, but the White Sox will have all sorts of incentive to convince him to stick around the next three years at a fraction of his cost as the innings-eater he is.

Especially if Shields helps get the White Sox back in the postseason.

Predictions, anyone?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2...en-padres-cubs/

Edited by caulfield12

I just want this f***ing guy to be a solid #5 from here on out. Maybe we can hope for an offseason of adjustments for next year to be better. Give us close to 200 innings around 4.5 era ball and we'll take it out of the 5 spot.

Edit: or hope he is absolutely miserable here enough to the point where he opts out haha (I've noticed the dude hasn't looked interested at all pitching here. At least to me it seems).

Edited by soxfan2014