White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 04:07 AM)
You heard it here first- James Shields' line tomorrow: W, 7 IP, 2 ER, 2 R, 7 K, 6 H, 3 BB, strikes on 68 of 103 pitches

Shields is catching Boston at a bad time. They don't want to get swept.

So Shields 1 2/3 innings, 9 runs, 7 earned, 3 walks, 1 error. If Shields gets rocked again, put him on the fricking DL for a month or so. This is absurd. He can't get rocked again or DL must be instituted.

Let's just hope he is reasonable about it and doesn't refuse to go on the DL...maintains to the press/media that he's perfectly healthy physically and there's something ELSE wrong.

With his previous teams, he was always a leader and always about winning first and foremost, so even can see that going out there every five days, at least the way things are sliding now, is probably going to be detrimental to his team's short term interest in staying in the playoff or at least wild card hunt.

It's been almost a month since James Shields' last good start, and he gets the ball on Thursday in a place where he's had little success, Fenway Park (2-9, 5.42 ERA in 13 starts), in the finale of the four-game series.

I'll take a 5.42 today. When one article said they were handing the :sweep: to Shields I thought he was reassigned as the janitor. Boston's best starter against the current edition of Shields. Too bad teams can't just agree to a result. "Hey, we're going to catch and early flight y'all mind if we miss the game tonight?"

I think Shields gives them 6 solid innings. Everyone should look out their brooms today. Wonder if Abreu will sit it out after getting plunked in the leg and such a short turn-around.

Got to go and move my car. I am parked on Lansdowne St just in case Big Game doesn't have it.................

The first excuses are coming out...the same conditions could have applied in 2013, there was even more pressure on him because it cost Jake Odorrizi and Wil Myers.

“James is putting an awful lot of pressure on himself to try to justify the trade,” White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said.”He’s trying too hard. He’s rushing, anxious, going to fast, and because of that he’s not throwing enough first pitch strikes and/or getting ahead of hitters.”

Said White Sox manager Robin Ventura: “Coming into a new situation, and I don’t know if it’s to impress, but to do something a little more, or try and do it better,” Ventura said. “Not that guys don’t want to do that, but there comes a point where you do too much. You try and overcompensate and it ends up going completely the wrong way.”

“Strong competitor. A put-away changeup,” Farrell said. “A guy that I think would thrive on the bigger stage or in the spotlight. We don’t take anything for granted. Yeah, he’s had little bit of a rough go in his time coming back to the American League, but still very capable of making quality pitches.”

“He’s going to be fine eventually. Hopefully that starts (today),” Cooper said. “There’s no guarantee of that, but I believe in my heart that he’s going to come out of this and he’ll be fine.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox...lping_white_sox

Red Sox fans thankful the White Sox stopped them from bringing in James Shields

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
The first excuses are coming out...the same conditions could have applied in 2013, there was even more pressure on him because it cost Jake Odorrizi and Wil Myers.

“James is putting an awful lot of pressure on himself to try to justify the trade,” White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said.”He’s trying too hard. He’s rushing, anxious, going to fast, and because of that he’s not throwing enough first pitch strikes and/or getting ahead of hitters.”

Said White Sox manager Robin Ventura: “Coming into a new situation, and I don’t know if it’s to impress, but to do something a little more, or try and do it better,” Ventura said. “Not that guys don’t want to do that, but there comes a point where you do too much. You try and overcompensate and it ends up going completely the wrong way.”

“Strong competitor. A put-away changeup,” Farrell said. “A guy that I think would thrive on the bigger stage or in the spotlight. We don’t take anything for granted. Yeah, he’s had little bit of a rough go in his time coming back to the American League, but still very capable of making quality pitches.”

“He’s going to be fine eventually. Hopefully that starts (today),” Cooper said. “There’s no guarantee of that, but I believe in my heart that he’s going to come out of this and he’ll be fine.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox...lping_white_sox

Red Sox fans thankful the White Sox stopped them from bringing in James Shields

Textbook definition of coach-speak by Cooper here. Shields is gonna be fine eventually, but there is no guarantee on when that will happen!

Edited by Footlongcomiskeydog

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/98066142/jam...oyals-clubhouse

For those down on the deal, maybe this will help. Leadership/intangibles/chemistry doesn't sell like FIP or "peripherals," but it might be equally valuable to a team with a wavering belief in itself.

That would bring to at least 7 the "new" White Sox attitude, being added to Latos, Gonzalez (who definitely was known for being a nice guy with an unfortunate streak of ind. losses and ND's, like Q has gotten that same "hard luck" label), Avila, Navarro, Rollins and Frazier.

Has definitely been a "mixed" bag with those acquisitions so far, although an argument can be made we wouldn't be where we are without Latos' hot start and Frazier's power bat and mostly very solid defense.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
Textbook definition of coach-speak by Cooper here. Shields is gonna be fine eventually, but there is no guarantee on when that will happen!

Or where :o

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 10:07 PM)
You heard it here first- James Shields' line tomorrow: W, 7 IP, 2 ER, 2 R, 7 K, 6 H, 3 BB, strikes on 68 of 103 pitches

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 02:17 AM)
Shields is catching Boston at a bad time. They don't want to get swept.

So Shields 1 2/3 innings, 9 runs, 7 earned, 3 walks, 1 error. If Shields gets rocked again, put him on the fricking DL for a month or so. This is absurd. He can't get rocked again or DL must be instituted.

Well, Greg's already out, but I'm still going strong!

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
After Ortiz walked, that should have been it, but Coop loves to boast about his QS stats so he risked it. Bad inning for this coaching staff.

Agreed. The QS stat is dumb to begin with and you should try to win games before you try to improve your personal agenda

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Well, his line would've been much better had they not brought him out for the 6th.

Albers deserves most of the blame there. Even if Shields' two walks cross the plate, the Sox would've still been up 4-3 if Albers had been able to do his job.

It's amazing how far Albers has fallen over the past month and a half.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 04:02 PM)
Albers deserves most of the blame there. Even if Shields' two walks cross the plate, the Sox would've still been up 4-3 if Albers had been able to do his job.

It's amazing how far Albers has fallen over the past month and a half.

He left 2 runners on with no outs, I don't think you can say that.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
He left 2 runners on with no outs, I don't think you can say that.

... and only gave up one run through five innings prior to that. While three runs over five innings may not qualify as a quality start, it's far from a bad one.

Meanwhile, Albers could not only not keep those two inherited runners from crossing the plate, but also allowed two earned runs of his own. Hell, he couldn't even record an out before he was pulled. So, yeah, Albers sucked today.

Edited by Black_Jack29