White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

But that's $9 million we don't have to fill other holes, especially in 2017 and 2018.

If you promised me that Hahn could/would replace Avi/bench bat and bring in another RH (veteran reliever), I might be more optimistic.

Waiting until mid-July to make those decisions, the ship might have already sailed without the Sox onboard.

Edited by caulfield12

Pretty sure it's $5 million, then $10, $10 and $2 million for buyout of 2019 season.

$27 million total.

Average is $9 milion, but it was "backloaded" theoretically so the Sox could add this year to ATTEMPT to make a run for it (which may or may not already be closing in on "too late" to many observers of how last season played out).

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 06:34 AM)
Technically, he WALKED 2 batters in the 6th which means they don't even count as ABs.

Nope.

It doesn't matter if they counted as official ABs. If he pitches to one batter in the 6th every commentator and every fan who has even half an idea what they are talking about would say that Shields went 5+ innings, which is more than 5. You are wrong here and in pretty much every other post you ever make.

The larger point, is that SS2k5 has argued that the Shields trade will save wear on tear on the bullpen because "innings eater". Clearly, that is far from the case.

Since he's been with the Sox:

6/8

Putnam

Jennings

Duke

Jones

Robertson

Albers

Shuck (lol)

Bullpen IP: 7

6/13

Danish

Jennings

Albers

Jones

Robertson

Duke

*Bullpen IP: 7 (3 Extra Innings in Game)

6/18

Purke

Albers

Duke

Ynoa

Bullpen IP: 6.1

6/23

Albers

Jennings

Beck

Jones

Robertson

Purke

*Bullpen IP: 4.1 (1 Extra Inning)

4 Games - 24.2 IP from the Bullpen and I count 22 relief pitcher appearances and 1 position player.

Ate $15M of Danks (who never pitched LESS than 5 in any of his 4 starts), ate another $3M on Latos, paying Shields $5M this year, plus another $22M for 2 years (which we were NOT on the hook for with either Danks/Latos)...

There's really no arguing that this signing has the hallmarks of disaster written all over it. Turned a crappy, $15M #5 into an even crappier $23M #5 who you're stuck with for 2 more years.

And although yesterday was a better appearance, he certainly looks "done" to me. He doubled his pitch count in the last inning and 2/3rd vs his first 3 1/3, velocity dropped, control went to s***, and that slider is hot garbage. I don't think he threw it for a strike once and certainly nobody was chasing it.

I hope he gets moved to mop up for blow-out game duty because he sure isn't helping this team in any way.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 06:49 AM)
Your hat is safe. In the end the stats show 5.0 IP because he did not record an out in the 6th.

If that is the case then using the same logic Albers didn't pitch in this game because his stat line shows 0 IP. The box score for this clearly states that James Shields pitched 5 innings with the additional statement "J Shields faced 2 batters in the 6th inning". Meaning he pitched more than 5 innings.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
If that is the case then using the same logic Albers didn't pitch in this game because his stat line shows 0 IP. The box score for this clearly states that James Shields pitched 5 innings with the additional statement "J Shields faced 2 batters in the 6th inning". Meaning he pitched more than 5 innings.

You can try and rationalize all you want - the stat line doesn't lie. 5.0 IP.

And any dips*** can come in a walk 2 people in a row. That's a weak line of argument to try and give him any sort of "productive" credit for that.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)
It doesn't matter if they counted as official ABs. If he pitches to one batter in the 6th every commentator and every fan who has even half an idea what they are talking about would say that Shields went 5+ innings, which is more than 5. You are wrong here and in pretty much every other post you ever make.

NOBODY would say he went 5+ when he didn't record an out!!!

Clearly you don't have the first clue how baseball works. There is not one person who understands how to score a game that would agree with you. You want to talk about being wrong in posts - you are wearing the crown right now.

Stats or common speech? It really doesn't matter. We all know Shields did slightly better than you expected. You are correct that he hasn't been the inning eater from the start that we expected.

Since you are doing so well predicting performances are there any players who you think will be doing better over the next two weeks? Or can you only predict players doing poorly?

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
NOBODY would say he went 5+ when he didn't record an out!!!

Clearly you don't have the first clue how baseball works. There is not one person who understands how to score a game that would agree with you. You want to talk about being wrong in posts - you are wearing the crown right now.

The very definition of 5 + in baseball is that he went 5 innings and faced batters in the next inning without recording an out.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)

Actually Shields didn't pitch more than five because there's three outs to the inning and Shields recorded none. Yes Albers pitched but this outing was more of an appearance than IP since no outs were recorded. The hat eating thing was about IP.

Now ya know it's a boring season when were discussing tedious things like this. :lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)
The very definition of 5 + in baseball is that he went 5 innings and faced batters in the next inning without recording an out.

No. The very definition of an "inning" is the recording of 3 outs. That he threw pitches in an inning and didn't record ANY outs (in fact - all he did was walk two people) does NOT constitute any measure of "+" innings.

It's astounding you can't grasp this.

A pitcher's job is to record outs while allowing a minimal of runs to score. That's all ANY pitchers job is.

Shields recorded 15 outs - that's 5 INNINGS.

No more, no less.

That is how the game works.

I mean, am i really reading an argument about the validity of a bet(and the qualifications of said bet) that ends in someone eating a hat?

message boards ftw now and forever. CB2.0 wouldnt have eaten the hat anyways

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
Stats or common speech? It really doesn't matter. We all know Shields did slightly better than you expected. You are correct that he hasn't been the inning eater from the start that we expected.

Since you are doing so well predicting performances are there any players who you think will be doing better over the next two weeks? Or can you only predict players doing poorly?

I don't know if we have anybody that can fill that spot better, no. My problem with Shields from the beginning was that I didn't feel it was a deal we needed to do with lack of LH hitting, OF woes, C, RP injuries, and at the time...SS. So I guess in a way, you can say my prediction was that Latos/Danks would be at least as good (bad) as Shields.

Ranaudo seems to be doing decently so far...maybe a few more starts under his belt and he can get a look. :huh

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:44 AM)
I don't know if we have anybody that can fill that spot better, no. My problem with Shields from the beginning was that I didn't feel it was a deal we needed to do with lack of LH hitting, OF woes, C, RP injuries, and at the time...SS. So I guess in a way, you can say my prediction was that Latos/Danks would be at least as good (bad) as Shields.

Ranaudo seems to be doing decently so far...maybe a few more starts under his belt and he can get a look. :huh

Anyone on the roster, any position, anybody going to be playing better next week?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
I mean, am i really reading an argument about the validity of a bet(and the qualifications of said bet) that ends in someone eating a hat?

message boards ftw now and forever. CB2.0 wouldnt have eaten the hat anyways

Thank you!

I mean, SS2K5 digs up something I said 2 days ago (which was said in jest, really) tries to INCORRECTLY hamstring me with it, and I'm supposed to just take it?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
Anyone on the roster, any position, anybody going to be playing better next week?

Clearly now you are just trying to bait me. I gave you an honest response to your last question; we both know what you're trying to accomplish with this one.