White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:41 AM)
I mean, am i really reading an argument about the validity of a bet(and the qualifications of said bet) that ends in someone eating a hat?

message boards ftw now and forever. CB2.0 wouldnt have eaten the hat anyways

Well, we don't know that. The thing about message boards is that they're basically anonymous. We don't know if this individual eats hats (or other clothing for that matter). I believe, however, had Shields gone more than 5 innings as defined by the bet maker (recording at least one out after 5 innings), the taker of said bet may have asked for a video of the hat being eaten.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)
Thank you!

I mean, SS2K5 digs up something I said 2 days ago (which was said in jest, really) tries to INCORRECTLY hamstring me with it, and I'm supposed to just take it?

"mmmm hat" isnt really hamstringing you as much as poking fun. now everyone wants to get all serious and exact about it.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)
No. The very definition of an "inning" is the recording of 3 outs. That he threw pitches in an inning and didn't record ANY outs (in fact - all he did was walk two people) does NOT constitute any measure of "+" innings.

It's astounding you can't grasp this.

A pitcher's job is to record outs while allowing a minimal of runs to score. That's all ANY pitchers job is.

Shields recorded 15 outs - that's 5 INNINGS.

No more, no less.

That is how the game works.

And in common speech when people predict that the pitcher won't work more than five innings we believe the person doesn't expect the pitcher to be pitching in the sixth inning. That's the common language aspect that others are pointing out. No matter what he did better than what you predicted. Maybe not eating your hat better, but you have to admit he did much better than you predicted.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:47 AM)
Clearly now you are just trying to bait me. I gave you an honest response to your last question; we both know what you're trying to accomplish with this one.

You misunderstood my original question and I clarified it. So that was an honest answer, just not to my question.

There are a number of posters that just keep predicting everything sucks. That's easy. Broken records. Hahn sucks. Ventura sucks. All the players suck. The organization sucks. And when the team loses they type out the I told you sos.

So try something harder. It's ok if you think that no player will have a good week. But I'm trying to show that predicting player performances is a lot harder than just everyone sucks.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)
No. The very definition of an "inning" is the recording of 3 outs. That he threw pitches in an inning and didn't record ANY outs (in fact - all he did was walk two people) does NOT constitute any measure of "+" innings.

It's astounding you can't grasp this.

A pitcher's job is to record outs while allowing a minimal of runs to score. That's all ANY pitchers job is.

Shields recorded 15 outs - that's 5 INNINGS.

No more, no less.

That is how the game works.

No. The very definition of an inning is a turn at bat UNTIL 3 outs are recorded. Many other things can happen in an inning. If you've never heard pitching 5 full innings and then facing batters in the 6th without recording an out referred to as pitching 5+ I wonder if you've ever actually watched a baseball game. That is exactly what 5+ plus means. That is where the plus comes in. The pitcher pitched 5 full innings plus additional batters. If he had recorded an out they would say 5 1/3 or 5 2/3 and would not say the plus. The whole point in saying 5+ is so that people know that he did pitch in the 6th inning.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
5+ IP is 5 getting to the sixth, no outs.

Otherwise it would be 5.1 IP or 5.2 IP

Nobody says 5+ because he walked 2 people in the next inning and got the hook.

SMH

Pull up James Shields's stats...or any pitcher for that matter.

Please point out the "+" innings column where he threw pitches and didn't record any outs.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)

SMH

Please point out the "+" innings column where he threw pitches and didn't record any outs.

If you made a bet based on he wouldn't go more than 5 innings, I would agree with you and said you are correct. However, 5 + innings is pitching the next inning and not getting anyone out.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)

SMH

"x+ innings" is a very common baseball phrase.

Look - this was the quote I responded to:

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)
You heard it here first- James Shields' line tomorrow: W, 7 IP, 2 ER, 2 R, 7 K, 6 H, 3 BB, strikes on 68 of 103 pitches

He predicted A STAT LINE OF 7 IP.

When I said I'd eat my hat if he goes "more than 5", I'm referring to the above STAT LINE. Check the tape - I even quoted it in my post HERE.

You guys want to move the goal posts and argue that walking 2 batters in the 6th and getting pulled constitutes some measure of more than 5 IP, that's YOUR misinterpretation of my response.

Unless you can show me something that shows more than 5 IP, arguing otherwise is DEAD WRONG.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)

When I said I'd eat my hat if he goes "more than 5", I'm referring to the above STAT LINE. Check the tape - I even quoted it in my post HERE.

You guys want to move the goal posts and argue that walking 2 batters in the 6th and getting pulled constitutes some measure of more than 5 IP, that's YOUR misinterpretation of my response.

Unless you can show me something that shows more than 5 IP, arguing otherwise is DEAD WRONG.

He's not being confrontational in every single thread he's been in, Andrew.

Well - I'm sorry you feel it confrontational for me to defend my position and what I actually said. That's not what I'm intending to do.

I didn't dig up my own quote from 2 days ago and say, "Look at me....I was right!"

That would be confrontational.

Instead somebody else did that, they were wrong, and I'm just sticking up for myself.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Well - I'm sorry you feel it confrontational for me to defend my position and what I actually said. That's not what I'm intending to do.

I didn't dig up my own quote from 2 days ago and say, "Look at me....I was right!"

That would be confrontational.

Instead somebody else did that, they were wrong, and I'm just sticking up for myself.

So you are saying you expected him to be pitching in the 6th inning and not getting any outs? Either way, would you agree he pitched better than you expected?

And for the record this has been funny. I believe you predicted that 5 innings would be about the best he could do and you were right. The whole more than five debate is a slight distraction. I said I would be happy with 5 IP and 5 ER so I was wrong, but happily so.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
So you are saying you expected him to be pitching in the 6th inning and not getting any outs?

Either way, would you agree he pitched better than you expected?

No, I meant exactly what I said. That a line of 7 IP would be a miracle, and more than 5 IP would be "better than expected" (to the degree that I would "eat my hat").

In the end, he met expectations. :huh

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 05:41 AM)
I mean, am i really reading an argument about the validity of a bet(and the qualifications of said bet) that ends in someone eating a hat?

message boards ftw now and forever. CB2.0 wouldnt have eaten the hat anyways

Thank you.

For the love of Christ, guys

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)

Shut up and eat the f***ing hat!

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
No, I meant exactly what I said. That a line of 7 IP would be a miracle, and more than 5 IP would be "better than expected" (to the degree that I would "eat my hat").

In the end, he met expectations. :huh

So you did expect him to be pitching in the 6th inning. Excellent prediction! :cheers

And as I said he exceeded mine. I would have been happy with 5 and 5 earned runs. Leaving with one and ultimately three was much better than I predicted. That sure does make me happy.

And one reason so many Sox fans here are jumping on this you would rather be right than say that a player on the team that you are a fan of performed better than you expected. You would be happier if he really sucked than be happy that he did better than expected.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
Lmao what have I started?! All I did was innocently predict a 7 IP outing from Shields :lol:

Which by the way I hope you had been drinking at the time . . . on Shields tab