White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

Sorry guys - I set my ceiling expectation at 5 IP and that's what s***ty Shields hit. No getting around it.

I'm GLD (Tex) it wasn't 1.2 for 7 runs, but....it was wasn't more than 5 IP. Not sure where this "5 + plus" came from. I said he wouldn't record more than 5 in a discussion about a stat line: 5 IP.

He didn't.

What else do you want me to do?

I realize many are pissed about my comments in the Liberals thread but...

..is what it is.

We're talking baseball here (supposedly).

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:55 PM)
Sorry guys - I set my ceiling expectation at 5 IP and that's what s***ty Shields hit. No getting around it.

I'm GLD (Tex) it wasn't 1.2 for 7 runs, but....it was wasn't more than 5 IP. Not sure where this "5 + plus" came from. I said he wouldn't record more than 5 in a discussion about a stat line: 5 IP.

He didn't.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist screenshotting this graphic. The '+' is real. EAT THE HAT!!!

91zu7PX.png

Southside, I wouldn't celebrate too early.

As soon as you do, Gonzalez will start sinking like the Lusitania and there will yet another hole left to fill.

This season is like whack-a-mole.

And beating that Twins' line-up, as it is currently comprised, isn't exactly comparable to facing the AL East, the Tigers/Indians/Royals, or the Rangers/Astros/Mariners. When he can start holding his own against playoff quality teams, that will be the most important sign. For that reason, his last start before this one was more encouraging, even though he laboured through it (and also because Albers gave up 2 of his 3 runs).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 12:38 AM)
Southside, I wouldn't celebrate too early.

As soon as you do, Gonzalez will start sinking like the Lusitania and there will yet another hole left to fill.

This season is like whack-a-mole.

And beating that Twins' line-up, as it is currently comprised, isn't exactly comparable to facing the AL East, the Tigers/Indians/Royals, or the Rangers/Astros/Mariners. When he can start holding his own against playoff quality teams, that will be the most important sign. For that reason, his last start before this one was more encouraging, even though he laboured through it (and also because Albers gave up 2 of his 3 runs).

Even if he's in between his bad starts and good starts going forward he's no better than Latos. So the trade and DFA of Latos was just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. And we're on the hook to pay him when he'll probably be less effective in years 2 and 3.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Lincecum has been hit hard after his first good start, so he's 1/3. Shields had 3 absymal starts (4 going back to SD/SEA) and 2 good/pretty good ones now.

http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article...rom-8334995.php

Looking at how well Bud Norris had been pitching recently (the opposite of Shields when we acquired him), the fact that the Dodgers actually received a player from Atlanta AND cash considerations (and his contract this year was ONLY $2.5 million, and a one-year deal) AND the fact that the Braves received a minor league reliever in A ball and another A ball prospect, it's hard not to question what we gave up FINANCIALLY, and ALSO why we had to give up Tatis in the deal, when this deal had a limited time commitment for 2017, and the White Sox didn't even get anything else useful back like Jon Jay or Wil Myers (would have had to include other pieces from the Sox side to make that work).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
/thread

No, it's not.

I never said "+".

I said "more than 5" as in...a recorded line in a box score such as Jose Abreu suggested.

CAN YOU LINK A BOX SCORE THAT SHOWS ANYTHING ABOVE 5.0 FOR SHIELDS IN THAT GAME AGAINST BOSTON?

CAN YOU?????

NO???

/thread.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
No, it's not.

I never said "+".

I said "more than 5" as in...a recorded line in a box score such as Jose Abreu suggested.

CAN YOU LINK A BOX SCORE THAT SHOWS ANYTHING ABOVE 5.0 FOR SHIELDS IN THAT GAME AGAINST BOSTON?

CAN YOU?????

NO???

/thread.

/CB2+

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
lol

YOU started all this s*** and yet can't produce a line showing anything.

BOX SCORE OF SHIELDS SHOWING IP MORE THAN 5.0 AGAINST RED SOX.

Thanks.

3981444.jpg

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 01:00 AM)
Bud Norris, 6 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K's against COL for the Dodgers.

Jeremy Hellickson shut down the Royals. Expiring contract. Available for a B prospect or two C's.

just stop already

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 06:01 PM)
Yes, he is a very good prospect. #4 on Bosox list. 18 yrs old.

His numbers Don't look so great, but he was the #1 ranked international pitcher in 2014. He is probably 4 years away. If Pomerantz helps them win, no ime in Boston will care if the kid becomes a star.