Do you believe the Sox will make the playoffs in 2016?

caulfield12

Do you still have faith in Ventura/Hahn/KW/JR?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still believe the White Sox will make the playoffs in 2016?

• Yes
    • No

Just for Dick Allen's sake, we'll create another "positive thread" to go along with "the April Sox are back."

This one's a little different.

You can vote yes or no, but the "NO" votes don't get to write anything.

This is quite different from that thread, because even if you agree with the premise that the April Sox are back, that alone doesn't guarantee a playoff appearance, either.

No caveats.

No controlling for injuries or whether or not the front office will make trades to improve the team before the trade deadline and/or in August when the waiver claims start.

No conditions or goalposts.

Just, whether, in your heart of hearts, you believe this 2016 White Sox team will earn a spot in the playoffs (and, by extension, earn Ventura an extension as well as Rick Hahn)?

As I said, ONLY the reasons why you believe the Sox will make it.

BALT 58%

TOR 56%

BOS 53%

HOU 39%

DET 39%

SEA 26%

KC 25%

CHW 19%

NYY 8%

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-m...?ex_cid=rrpromo

http://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx

These standings are similar, except in this case, the White Sox (8th in the AL) are ahead of the Royals, 14.5% vs. 12.5%. Yankees 10th again.

I didn't vote, but I'll write some:

1) The luck in the AL Central has to shift at some point.

2) Sox still have more room to play much better at home.

3) Rodon, Abreu and Shields have a lot of room for improvement/upside.

4) They'll be getting Jackson back after the All-Star Break (can go back to their best defensive outfield), theoretically Morneau will help a lot and Cabrera back as soon as the Yankees' series, so Shuck's time will be cut back.

5) White Sox still have payroll space (due to LaRoche), and it will only be 2-3 month commitments on those contracts, rather than a full year. If they add someone like a Bruce, that will ensure they have that bat for 2017 as well, and won't have to go into the market this offseason when the pickings will be quite slim.

6) Possibility of Burdi, Hansen, Stephens...someone catching fire in the minors and helping out in the bullpen in the 2nd half.

7) Indians have to eventually come back down to earth and still have their own set of weaknesses. The Royals and Tigers, right now, are not greater than the sum of all their individual parts, either.

8) Catchers have been performing better recently.

9) Duke/Jones/Robertson seem about as solid as a collective trio as they have all season long.

10) Anderson's continued spark offensively and also on defense and the basepaths, brought some new energy and excitement to the line-up. When Jackson comes back, you'll have three guys in the line-up (along with Eaton, and even Lawrie) who can push opposing defenses. Saladino, when he plays, makes five good athletes. They're not necessarily all stolen base threats, but they can go 1st to 3rd and 2nd to home more easily than Sox players in the past.

I guess I should have made up two poll questions...one for 2017.

But it would be highly theoretical, do you believe the White Sox organization is responsible for putting a playoff team on the field in 2017?

And do you think they (whoever they are in October) will be able to pull it off successfully?

Greg, no negativity in this thread. But we appreciate your "Hawkism." I'll be watching the highlights on the ipad and Harrelson will shout "hell, yeah!!!" and my wife will automatically know something good happened with the White Sox. Then she'll ask if all American sports announcers curse and I'll just respond, "Hawk is Hawk, he's one of the last remaining vestiges of a bygone era in sports broadcasting." To which she'll roll her eyes.

Edited by caulfield12

My guess is the answer depends on Brett Lawrie.

First 33 games (23-10): .271 AVG, .817 OPS

Next 35 games (9-26): .191 AVG, .570 OPS

Last 13 games (9-4): .377 AVG, 1.079 OPS

Seems like when Brett hits, the Sox win, and when he doesn't, they don't.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)

Wow. Interesting stuff. I wonder what their record is since they inserted Tim Anderson into the lineup as well?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)

23-10, then 10-26, then 9-4.

42-40.

The more I've thought about this I have to change my opinion somewhat. The White Sox are not only going to go to the 2016 Playoffs, but I'm convinced that they're going to represent the American League in the 2016 World Series. This is going to be 2005 all over again.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
Wow. Interesting stuff. I wonder what their record is since they inserted Tim Anderson into the lineup as well?

12-10. Another interesting note on Anderson, he's hitting .300 with an OPS just shy of .800 while carrying a 32.4% K rate. He'll be a scary good hitter if he can maintain his performance in all other aspects and knock that K rate down to 25% or less.

They will have a hot streak in late July and pull themselves within striking distance of the wildcard, make a move and then quickly lose 8 of 10.

We've seen this script before people.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
Yes, the White Sox will make the playoffs IF they add an impact bat AND a reliever. If they stand pat like idiots again, they will miss out.

And do you believe they will do BOTH or at least one of these things?

And that it will be enough to push them over the top (to at least get Chris Sale to a WC start)?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 07:04 AM)
The Sox are 0-9 in the cities of Cleveland, Detroit, and Kansas City. 19 of their 80 games left are in these cities.

No, they aren't making the playoffs, but I hope I'm wrong.

My sentiments exactly when I voted no. They can make changes to better compete with those teams. Already have with Morneau but that isn't any guarantee of anything. Still need to add more while those teams can also add. They can be 10 games over when that last stretch of games against the Central starts and they will have to show they are a better team than they were. I also hope we are wrong .

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
And do you believe they will do BOTH or at least one of these things?

And that it will be enough to push them over the top (to at least get Chris Sale to a WC start)?

No idea if they will do both, but I think that's gives them as good of a chance to win the second WC spot as any of these other contenders. Our main weaknesses right now our the bottom of our lineup, bench/depth, backend of our rotation, and 6th/7th inning relievers. Adding an impact bat and getting Morneau & Jackson soon could solve those first two items. Rodon has looked a lot better as of late IMO and Shields is no longer the worst pitcher in baseball history. I feel much better about the rotation than I did a couple weeks ago. Robertson, Jones, Duke, & Jennings are a solid group of relievers, but we desperately need one more reliable arm to slot in with them ASAP. I'm ok with relying on one of Ynoa & Beck for now, because I have a feeling Burdi or Fulmer will be called up by late August if we're still in the race and an additional arm is needed.

Avi needs to be gone, a 650 OPS at DH is embarrassing, it would be pretty bad for a middle infielder even.

Second point, that LaRoche money is free and HAS to be spent, at least for the remainder of this season. If they find the right fit for a player whose deal goes through 2017, great, because the offseason FA market is crap and will force more overpays.

Finally, you're probably right about the Sox not wanting to give up top talent for a veteran RH reliever.

They'll monitor Burdi, Danish, Jordan Stephens, Alec Hansen (that's a very low probability event) and Fulmer and hopefully one or two of those guys really click in the next month or so. Maybe, just maybe, Ynoa takes the next step but that's asking for a lot.

Albers is almost at the end of his rope. His last 20 or so appearances have been terrible, and Ventura pulled him after just one batter today. His patience is now at zero to turn things around for Matty.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)
Avi needs to be gone, a 650 OPS at DH is embarrassing, it would be pretty bad for a middle infielder even.

Second point, that LaRoche money is free and HAS to be spent, at least for the remainder of this season. If they find the right fit for a player whose deal goes through 2017, great, because the offseason FA market is crap and will force more overpays.

Finally, you're probably right about the Sox not wanting to give up top talent for a veteran RH reliever.

They'll monitor Burdi, Danish, Jordan Stephens, Alec Hansen (that's a very low probability event) and Fulmer and hopefully one or two of those guys really click in the next month or so. Maybe, just maybe, Ynoa takes the next step but that's asking for a lot.

Albers is almost at the end of his rope. His last 20 or so appearances have been terrible, and Ventura pulled him after just one batter today. His patience is now at zero to turn things around for Matty.

I think we see a pen trade soon. Then the bat not far behind

Let's not forget they can pick up players in that August waiver wire period as well...

Although the big DH/OF bats on the market like Bruce, Reddick, possibly Beltran, possibly Cargo, etc., are likely to move now. CoCo Crisp would be a nice veteran to have on the bench, but Austin Jackson will get the first shot to prove he's back before they make that kind of a bench/depth move.

But he's used to the AL Central wars, that's the kind of player who is helpful in August/September.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Let's not forget they can pick up players in that August waiver wire period as well...

Although the big DH/OF bats on the market like Bruce, Reddick, possibly Beltran, possibly Cargo, etc., are likely to move now. CoCo Crisp would be a nice veteran to have on the bench, but Austin Jackson will get the first shot to prove he's back before they make that kind of a bench/depth move.

But he's used to the AL Central wars, that's the kind of player who is helpful in August/September.

Oh I agree. But we cannot stand pat this season considering this is year 2 of 3. Last year sucked but I understood it. Trading Anderson for someone would've been awful. Reddick has been the guy I wanted. Wonder about a Reddick and Rzcepczynski package.

Edited by SouthSideSale