To all you long time Sox fans

brijames

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
It was fun to watch the Red Sox celebrate. The manner in which they won, was really a joy to see, and fueled by Yankee jealousy, was a cherry on top.

When does the WS sink in?

I don't know if this sounds dramatic, but without question, I and others still feel the effects of it today. Any clip you see, any photo you see takes you back. My wife (then fiancee) bought me the 12-disc(!) DVD set that had the uncut ALCS and WS games as well as a bonus disc. I'm on my second book, this being Stephen King's epic take on the season right now. I cannot get enough. If your boys come through, the media better do the same for you guys. They're all just treasures.

What helped is that we took the road never traveled to win. Sweep the Angels, greatest comeback in sports history against our archrivals in the ALCS, make it eight in a row by sweeping the Cardinals. I say take it however you can get it ... I'm still trying to determine whether that ALCS added (pure joy, heavy drinking) or subtracted (mental anguish, no sleep, heavy drinking) years from my life.

There was nothing greater than seeing Yankee fans' faces droop during Game 7, us then dancing on their field, walking through New York City the next day like you were king, and not trash talking but wearing an eff-all-of-you smile all day, week and month long. Again, if you're fortunate enough to win, there will be unparalleled joy. You will have the last laugh with your Cub colleagues. You will no longer be the little brother. You will be champions. You will have overcome nine decades of futility while they continue to suffer. That is just too too sweet. Gotta make it happen.

As great as the Yankee win was, the Series conquest was it, the parade, the TV specials, the extra media coverage, the stories people told, feeling a part of something monumental, the apparel you wear so damn proudly ... nothing like it, really. I wish that upon you folks. Screw Cubs fans, let them lament.