BA rates Sox prospects

winninguglyin83

pretty strange. Nobody in the top 10. Two of the top 20. Nanita 19th and McCarthy 16th. Anderson was not included because of a lack of at bats. Same problem -- in both leagues -- for Sweeney.

But I would have thought Nanita would have ranked higher, considering his long hitting streak.

2003 League Top 20s: Pioneer League

by Bill Ballew

September 21, 2003

2003 League Top 20s

Sept. 18 Gulf Coast League

Sept. 19 Arizona League

Sept. 20 Appalachian League

Sept. 21 Pioneer League

Sept. 22 New York-Penn League

Sept. 23 Northwest League

Sept. 24 Midwest League

Sept. 25 South Atlantic League

Sept. 26 California League

Sept. 27 Carolina League

Sept. 28 Florida State League

Sept. 29 Eastern League

Sept. 30 Southern League

Oct. 1 Texas League

Oct. 2 International League

Oct. 3 Pacific Coast League

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For complete scouting reports on the Top 20 Prospects in the Pioneer League, subscribers

can access our expanded coverage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk in the Rookie-level Pioneer League this year centered on the Provo Angels. After putting college-oriented clubs on the Brigham Young campus for the past several seasons, Anaheim fielded one of the league's younger teams and the results were impressive, with the Angels going 54-22 and reaching the finals of the playoffs.

Provo manager Tom Kotchman, who scouts for the Angels when he's not managing, said talent in the league this season mirrored the 2003 draft. The league featured more pitching prospects than position players, though several hitters could develop into impact players. Heading the list is Casper third baseman Ian Stewart, a clear pick among the managers as the league's top prospect.

Veterans of the league, including Kotchman, Casper's P.J. Carey and Helena's Ed Sedar, said they noticed more depth than in recent seasons. More than 40 players received serious consideration for the list, and several others made significant impressions but didn't qualify for the top 20, including Great Falls outfielders Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney, the White Sox' first two picks in the 2003 draft.

"Down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the guys in the second 10 wind up having as much success or more than those guys in the first 10," Kotchman said. "That's how deep the league was this year."

16. Brandon McCarthy, rhp, Great Falls White Sox

Managers agreed that McCarthy was the most aggressive pitcher in the league. He led the league in strikeouts and innings and finished one win behind Moreno in wins.

With his lean 6-foot-6 frame, McCarthy attracted comparisons to former White Sox hurler Jack McDowell. Though he does not throw as hard as McDowell, topping out at 91 mph with his fastball, McCarthy commands three pitches well. He also drew compliments because he doesn't give in to hitters.

"His changeup came a long way this year and that's what really made him a better pitcher," Cron said. "He's got a nice curveball and his fastball will improve as he adds strength. And he's as good a battler as you'll see. He's got a huge heart on the mound."

Team W-L ERA G IP H R ER BB SO

Great Falls 9-4 3.65 16 101.0 105 49 41 15 125

19. Ricardo Nanita, of, Great Falls White Sox

Nanita made a name for himself early in the season when he put together a 30-game hitting streak. Born in the Dominican Republic and a product of Florida International University, he made impressive strides for a 14th-round draft pick. A pesky hitter who finds a way to get on base, Nanita has good instincts and takes advantage of what opponents give him.

"He does the little things, like beating out a bunt or slapping the ball through an opening in the infield," Cron said. "His instincts are impressive for a guy in his first professional season."

The early departures of Anderson (wrist injury) and Sweeney (promotion) gave Nanita playing time at all three outfield spots. Because he's not a burner, he uses his instincts to get in proper defensive position. He also has a strong arm, but the accuracy of his throws needs improvement.

TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG

Great Falls 47 175 38 71 7 4 5 37 17 28 11 .384 .445 .546

The summary referred to the depth of the leauge, but seeing both McCarthy and Nanita that far down did surprise me.

Much of that may have to do with Nanita being a 14th round pick and this being McCarthy's 2nd year in rookie ball (Bristol last year). The league managers respond to BA's survey, then that info is taken and combined with scouting reports and draft position and theya re ranked by BA. I don't really think there is much of a difference between being 16th or 8th on the list. It is nice that our guys got recognized. Now we will see what they do next year in full season ball. 140 games is much, much different than 75.

i agree that Nanita must have been voted down because he was a 14th round pick.

When you are not picked in the first three or four rounds, skeptics abound until you prove yourself at several levels.

Question for you, Rex:

How many guys from Birmingham will make the Top 20 in the Southern League?

Reed fer sure

Cotts fer sure

Pacheco most likely

anybody else?

The Sox minor league system is weak in the top levels, but if there is one thing to get excited about it is the talent in the lower levels, especially rookie ball. I still think Anderson can be a very good major leaguer if he can stay healthy. The Sox got arguable the steal of the draft with Sweeney in the 2nd round. I really think this kid has star potential. McCarthy looks like a solid pitching prospect. Valdilo was another steal and is probably the Sox top middle infield prospect after only a half year at rookie ball. Young is one of those 5 tool outfielders that scouts love. Nanita came out of nowhere with a great year. I also think corner infielders Schnurstein at 3rd and Bounds at 1B are solid prospects as well. Lopez and Tisch as have good upside and had good years. I reallize that all of these guys have a long way to go, but there is some serious talent in the lower minors(thanks in part to a great draft this year). 2,3,4 years from now the Sox should start to see the benefits of this. I think they should focus on pitching in next years draft.

if two of the six or seven players that you mentioned actually develop, we'll be fortunate. Guys in short-season A ball are miles away from the bigs.

They need the guys in full-season A ball -- Rogowski, Yan, Gonzalez, Morse, Spidale. Wyatt Allen, Honel, Wing, Brice, Deininger, Stumm -- to step forward first.

OR, if the team is dismantled, they need to pick up some quality prospects, the way the Royals got Berroa or the Indians replenished their system last year when they dumped Bartolo, Shuey and assorted others.